New System Advise (Speakers?)

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1287
peace. i'm a car audiophile, so i'm a relative newb to HT and this forum. i appreciate it if you can bare w/me as i'm certain (if this forum is anything like the caraud. forum) you get this question about 10x/day.
basically i am trying to assist my dad with his HT setup (to match his new plasma) and am not certain as to which way to go. i have been eying a denon set-up with martin logan speakers, but i'm sure he's not going to allow for any more than about 1000-1500 as far as the drivers go.
so that's my primary issue, speakers. although anything else that i may have overlooked would be appreciated.

thanks

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6201

Huh? What exactly do you want us to do?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1292
"so that's my primary issue, speakers. although anything else that i may have overlooked would be appreciated."

advise?

Bronze Member
Username: Paul98

Post Number: 30
What does he currently have and what does he need? Like does he have an HD receiver, dvd player, sub,...? What are the main concerns for what he is looking for, and about how much total is he looking to spend?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1293
this is a brand new system for the living room. so we're basically starting from scratch. again the main concern is speakers and that range is about 1-1500.00.
i'm thinbking about the denon set up that offers a reasonable amount of headroom, but nothing extreme. just good build quality and dynamics. i'm looking for a superb image and stage in the speakers with extreme clarity and neutrality. a good balance between the above stated and money.
my reference point in caraudio is http://www.cardomain.com/profile/mikechec9 if that makes it any easier.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Are you looking for a surround system? or just looking for a couple main speakers now? What do you mean by "denon setup"? You talking about a denon receiver?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
If you are looking for a couple great speakers in that price range look at paradigm studios, Onix rockets, Polk LSi, B&W,... there are a bunch of them to look at. I would see which ones you can try out around your area and find some that you like.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1299
denon set up: receiver, dvdp.
but, yeah, the speakers were the primary concern, unless there is something comparable to the denon (onkyo?) in terms of receiver, dvd.
and surround, yes. the bose surround in the family room disgust me. and i can't get it to sound right when the center channel is activated.

Bronze Member
Username: Mango_joe

Orlando, Florida Usa

Post Number: 32
radio shack speakers rock man

Gold Member

Post Number: 1305
really? what type cuz i'm really amped. my dad would be like so proud!

look, i'm an audiophile. i know the ins and outs to producing award winning sound IN A CAR. i'm just attempting to get the opinions of those more experienced than myself in the art of HOME accoustics. i'll certainly look into paul's above suggestions. and since i didn't hear any objections to a denon receiver, i'll go that way in that regard.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
Just ignore shamuchef. You are going to want to listen to some different receivers and find which one you like. Denon makes good receivers, then so does Pioneer eliete, Marants, Onkyo, Harman Kardon, also check out the Panasonic XR55 digital path receiver. It's been getting great reviews and it's only 229 shipped from amazon.com

Gold Member

Post Number: 1306
thanks for the info. it helps me realize that i'll maintain the denon. i know that harmon kardon isn't what it once was (bought out), and panasonic is about only good for televisions (cheap build).
my question though is how do you go about supplying some of these speakers that require an rms of 200-300 watts/tower, with receivers that only deliver say 115watts x 7?
is an external amplifier needed?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6248

Let me be rude for one or two minutes.

1) Even if you know about car audio, home audio requires you forget everything you learned about car audio. The two formats are polar opposites. Virtually anything you learned doing car audio is either wrong or not important when it comes to home audio.

2) " ... the main concern is speakers and that range is about 1-1500.00."
"i'm looking for a superb image and stage in the speakers with extreme clarity and neutrality."

My God, son! So are we!!! If you find superb image and extreme nuetrality for no more than $750 per speaker, let us know.

My suggestion would be to go to a decent audio shop, park you car audio and your car audio ideas outside and let them show you how a home system gets put together. While you may know car audio, the questions you asked and the answers you did not supply indicate you have more to learn about audio than can be taught in this forum. Page through some of the threads and you'll find many of the answers you need. Then go listen to some equipment and pay attention when the salesperson tells you why home audio doesn't work like car stuff.

Sorry if that was too rude, but you need to listen.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1307
first off, little girl, i admitted "i'm a relative newb to HT and this forum. i appreciate it if you can bare w/me".. "i'm just attempting to get the opinions of those more experienced than myself in the art of HOME accoustics."
so, not that you're rude, but your just a bit ignorant in that you obviously missed the above stated quotes. further i don't need to hear any more from you at all. thanks for thinking of me though, but you're posts are no longer required
next? (preferably anyone else not necessarily going through that time of month):-)

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4156
check these
http://www.axiomaudio.com/epicmaster_main.html

Bronze Member
Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 72
Never mind Jan. He never offers any useful help..just a chance to show he's superior than the rest of us.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6261

Have at it, boys. You've both obviously got it all figured out.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1310
riiigght. so they struck my last comment from the record cuz i guess it wasn't quite "PC" enough. but anyway, the gist was no sweat hank, appreciate the support. and thanks a bunch berny, those look like they're exactly what i was looking for.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 154
Be sure to have the Denon serviced and cleaned for the new set-up! They like that like a clean car runs better(mine does)
Have a pop with your dad.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us