I know what I want from the house setup, but how to get there?

Unregistered guest
I know exactly what I want from the setup of audio and video equipment in the house, but I have no idea how to even start designing the system for the specs that I wrote below.

Here is the setup that I want to have in my house:
1) 3 TV sets, each connected to satellite service (Dish network).
2) One TV set is primary, where audio equipment is
installed, others are ordinary (no special audio equipment requires. One will be used in the exercise room, another in the home office)
3) I should be able to listen to the audio output from any of these TVs through the headset when I am in the room.
4) Each TV should be able to show different channels at the same time.
5) single source of DVD storage that all three TVs are able to access
6) Single DVR that these TVs should be able to program.
7) All the boxes for these TVs(DVD, recievers etc) are located in the basement. Only TVs are visible in the room.
8) The only thing I would like to see in the room is the TV set and the remote control. I should be able to select a satellite channel from this remote, switch to the DVD, start and program recording etc.

Any help in pointing me to the source of information of how to design such a system is greatly appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Paul98

Post Number: 26
I am not exactly sure how Dish network works for different tv's. But I would guess you are going to need a Dish receiver for each tv.

Now in order to control all that stuff just with one remote in each room. You are going to need some sort of external remote receiver for each room.

There are certain things that you won't be able to do. Like watching different dvd's on different tv's if you only have 1 dvd player. Also there is going to be problems with getting different audio from each tv in each room. You are going to need lots of switchers, and quite a bit of equipment.

Generally you have all the equipment go into an A/V receiver. Then have the AV receiver do the switching and then send signal to the tv.

If you can you might want to look at puting the equipment behind the wall where you want the stuff. That way you don't really need anything special except a universal remote to control everything.

How much money do you have to spend on a setup like this? How much are you planning on spending just to get it how you want? Also another thing you might think about is having the main system work the way you want it. With the rest working more normally with the equipment in the same room as the tv.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6200

What you've described is fairly easy to set up but it will require someone knowledgeable to run all the cables and pull everything together. Who will do the installation and the set up? If you can't figure out how the system is arranged on paper, you are not the person who should be doing this installation.

Have you talked to a shop about this system? Or, are we just daydreaming?

Unregistered guest
Jan,
I am glad to hear that it might not be that complex. I am a software developer by trade and did quite a lot of network cabling, but the answer to your question will depend on the scheme that someone might suggest. As of now I know that I will have to have following components:
3 TVs, 3 Dish receivers, computer (?), dvd player(s)(?), audio for a main tv. That's what I understand.
And no, it is not a daydreaming, although it might become one if the costs will be prohibitively expensive. Let's take out the "known" costs of TVs, computer(s),dvd players and external audio equipment. That part I have a budget for. What I don't know is - what else am I missing? How the scheme looks like etc.

Everyone's input is greatly appreciated

Bronze Member
Username: Paul98

Post Number: 31
Since you are going to want to use each part independintly you are going to need basicly everything you would normally need in each room.

So you need 3 tv's, 3 dish receivers, 3 dvd players, 1 AV receiver for main system, 2 AV switchers for other systems. Remote sensors for each room that connect to switchers, and av receiver( not sure how those work as I have never used them)

There are more ways you can do this that give more control and more access, but it gets more and more expensive. You will need to go into your basement to switch dvd's that way. You might want to see how it looks on paper.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6219

As I said, what you've put on paper is not that difficult to assemble. There are two problems that should be addressed, however. The first is the multiples of connection methods this system could use to achieve different degrees of complexity and convenience. It is not necessary that each room have a separate complete system; though how you intend to use the room might suggest more of a system in one room than in the other two. One method of making the system work will be convenient in one way while hooking the system differently can change how the convenience shifts to other aspects of operation.

Secondly, since this is a system that can operate differently depending on how it is wired, there may be small items you will overlook without someone to sit down with and discuss the pros and cons of the various methods. This is not what this forum is for, the format doesn't allow the give and take of the process required to best work out the solution to your lay out.

My input would be to suggest you find a top notch sales/installation shop and sit down with them to work out the operation and wiring of the system. They can point you in the right direction and give the reason you might choose option one over option B. It's possible they will have the ability to demonstrate just what they are proposing before you make a decision. After you agree to the project, they take care of the details and if you are not satisfied with the final product, they are responsible for the outcome.

None of this can be accomplished on the forum; the process is too long and none of us will be responsible for any errors in the final product.

Get with an installer. You will save time, money and frustration in the long run.

Unregistered guest
Jan,
Thank you for your very valuable comments. The issue with the shop (and I had been in one) is that when I describe the system the person I spoke with did not even mention such items as, say, leviton equipment. Instead, he pushed the "known" technology. The question I would like to ask: is there an on-line source for "top notch" designers who know the available contemporary technology in this field? I don't mind paying for such service, providing that I will not get as a result 3 clones of a simple TV-dvd-receiver setup

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6236

That I don't know. There are plenty of independent designers/installers. You might try a search engine or pick up a magazine devoted to home theater and see what you find. If you've looked at the Leviton line and like what they offer, you might contact them for a recommendation of a designer.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us