Pioneer VSX-D711 S-Video Setup

Username: Jay95

Post Number: 1
G'day guys,

I'm slowly going bald from pulling my hair out !!

I've got a D711 and I'm trying to get the S-Video input working. Here's the layout.

TV connected to the d711 via a simple RF (single) lead. I want to hook up a portable media device (MG25) to the VCR/DVR input of the D711. I'm using the digital audio coaxial output of the MG25 into the digital audio input of the D711 and that is working well. But I want to use the S-Video output of the MG25 and hook that up through the D711 for better picture quality.

But when I plug the s-video output into the D711 s-video input I get no picture. Sound is perfect, but no picutre.

I've checked all the set up on the D711 and it doesn't look like you need to 'assign' the s-video inputs. I've tried hooking the MG25 upto all of the s-video inputs and none of them will let me get any picture.

I know that the s-video output of the MG25 works cause I use it all the time over at a mates place on his LG TV....

I should also note that I can see the picture if I just use the RF output of the MG25 to get the picture.. Just can't get it working with the s-video :-(

I've searched the net and the Pioneer site and found nothing. It just says to plug in a s-video plug to get it to work :-(

Any ideas ?

J

Bronze Member
Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 59
Some receiver does not down-convert the video (S-video to RF). Some will but only after you tell it so (check your manual about video conversion). My Yamaha RXV-1500 will not down convert component video (it won't output to S-Video and composite video, only to component) and I have to tell it to convert everything else.

Why not connect the S-video into the TV (unless your TV is old and has only the RF). You might want to try an rf modulator that converts S-video to RF coax.

Username: Paul98

Post Number: 6
I don't see any real point to using the s-video to receiver then the RF from receiver to the TV. I don't think you would get a better picture that way. I just say use the composite video cable.

Post Number: 2
Thanks Hank and Paul.

The plan soon is to convert everything over to composite video and digital audio, this is sort of a temp wiring job to get me by :-)

That makes sense that it probably won't down convert the video. I'll have to look into it further.

Hopefully it won't have any problems coverting the s-video to composite though....

The plan is to go composite from the digital set top box (TV), DVD player, and s-video from the MG25 all to the D711, then composite from the D711 to the TV.

Shame the D711 doesn't have one more composite input cause I'd run the MG25 in composite as well... It's got 3 digital audio inputs, but only 2 composite video inputs :-(

Cheers

J

Bronze Member
Username: Paul98

Post Number: 18
I think you are talking about component video. Your receiver has more than 2 composite( single cable for video) inputs.

Bronze Member
Username: Divin11112000

Michigan

Post Number: 52
Jayson
I have the VSX-d811s, and it does not do any sort of converting. IF you go in with S-video you have to come out s-video. If you go in with standard rca connections you have to come out standard rca, and same with composite.
Your only real option (unless your TV has component or svideo) is to go rca from your vcr to rca into your tv. You can leave the digital sound hooked up though

Thats what i did with my DVD player for my system. I used the optical out of the DVD, and took only the yellow video cable and hooked that to the radio for signal then out of that to the TV

Good luck
Chris

Post Number: 3
Ahh, yep your right Paul, I meant component.

Chris - damn shame it won't convert :-( The TV I'm using has composite, s-video, and component inputs :-) So maybe I can run all s-video. The dvd player will output s-video, and I'm pretty sure the set top box will as well, and I know the MG25 will..

Like I said before, damn shame it doesn't have one more componet input on the amp :-(

Sooooo, if you use the component outputs to your TV does that mean you can only use two of the four video inputs ? :-(

J

Bronze Member
Username: Divin11112000

Michigan

Post Number: 54
Well what you can do is if you come in composite on the 2 you want to have the best picture. Then go in with s video on the 3rd source. You should be able to view the 3rd source when you switch to it on the receiver.

Give it a try
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us