In-laws screwed around with HT set-up

Bronze Member
Username: Em69

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 40
So my in-laws came over to babysit to other day and I showed them how to use my HT system (not a very complicated system at all).

When I got home, my father in-law informed me that played around with my volumne set-up because he thought it was better. Actually, it was because he was just lazy, and didn't want to handle two remotes.

Prior to them showing up, I had it set-up that I would control the volumne with my receiver, and the TV volumne was left on maximum.

My in-laws decided that it was better to have my receiver cranked up and then control the volumne with the TV remote.

Can this damage my speakers or receiver? When I saw the picture on the TV, there were lines running across...almost like sound interference lines.

I hate when people mess around with my stuff.

Any comments?

Bronze Member
Username: Turbodog

Post Number: 11
Hmm, not sure about the relationship between receiver volume and lines in the video... I guess you are routing/switching video thru the receiver (?). Did the lines go away when you turned the volume down?

Sure, if you have the receiver set to full volume for the TV sound and someone switches to another (louder) source, you could have damage.

Probably best to review your setup to see if there is a way to do it with NO component cranked up to max volume.

I would suggest a programmable remote as part of the solution, but I had a similar situation to yours, where my guest completely ignored my instructions ("push the OFF button on the Harmony Remote to turn everything off") and apparently walked up to the equipment and started pushing front-panel buttons instead. So, there is no such thing as a 'fool-proof' system.

Bronze Member

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 41
After my in-laws left and after I stopped swearing, I changed everything back to the way it was...and the lines disappeared. I tried to get the lines to come back but I could not. I have never seen these lines appear before, so I assumed it was caused by the change in set-up.

I had the system professionally connected. The speaker TV is turned OFF and the sound is only controlled through the receiver. But, if you adjust the volume control on the TV, it will still affect the amount of sound coming through the speakers. The installer recommended leaving the TV volume at it's max and adjust the volume through the receiver.

Bronze Member
Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 48
What kind of professional setup that would connect the TV sound into your receiver? TV sound is probably the worst out of all audio component. I mute the TV sound completely when listening through the receiver.

Bronze Member

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 42
That's what I said...the TV sound has been programmed OFF. I don't use the speaker on the TV.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Yah, I gotcha. I do the same when viewing OTA HD. The antenna is connected directly to my TV and I use TV audio out (optical 5.1 in my case) into my receiver. My prior TV was a Sony and setup was like yours. With speakers off, volume needed to be near 'max' to get desired line-level signal to the surround receiver. This makes sense. My new Panasonic has fixed output level. Still don't know how to fool-proof it, though! :-)

Bronze Member

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 43
Tonight, I tried to replicate what my in-laws did and noticed that my speakers were humming. I assume this is because the volume on my receiver was cranked way up just to get sound from them.

So, do you think this is damaging my system? I would just love it if I could tell them never to touch my stuff again since they do not know how to use it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I don't think your system is damaged. Some 60 Hz hum with the volume cranked to max is not all that unusual. It indicates a possible ground loop current flow between components. If it is not audible with the volume in the range you normally use it, you need do nothing. If you want to try and eliminate it, here are a few things to try:
1. make sure all components connected to your receiver are plugged in correctly. If the plug is not polarized (one blade wider so it only goes into the wall socket one way) then flip that plug over, reversing the connection into the wall socket. See if the hum is better, or worse.

2. try unplugging the audio line in connections from each item connected to your receiver, one at a time (volume DOWN when plugging/unplugging!). Check the hum each time. If the hum goes away with a particular component disconnected, that's the source of the hum. Beyond the plug-flipping, solving the hum starts to get complicated, so I'll stop here. Try the stuff above and shout back if you want to keep going.
HTH

Bronze Member

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 44
I don't think I will start uplugging everything as I do not hear the hum at the levels I listen at. I could only hear it the way my in-laws had it set up.

I think the next time they babysit, I will unplug all HT components. They can listen to the sound from the TV speaker only for all I care.

Thanks for your help.

Bronze Member
Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 53
What's the price of having free, trustworthy baby sitters? I think you are too hard on your in-laws. After all, your equipment is unharmed. Let it go. I think you are simply using this incidence as an excuse to rip into your in-laws. I find it strange that you can love the daughter and yet loath her parents...You will find that some highschool age baby-sitters not only trash your HT, they would dig into your adult material stash and worse...be thankful your in-laws were just trying to straighten out your HT connections.

Also it's your fault you showed them how to use it...to them, it's license to use the equipment.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Seems a little harsh to me. I took it that em69 just wanted to vent a little to (presumably) sympathetic ears... and maybe even get an idea on how to 'fool-proof' the setup a little more. I detected no 'loathing', simply annoyance.

Bronze Member

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 45
Easy there Hank. I was merely venting because my in-laws did not listen to me when I provided them instructions on how to use the system. My HT connections did not need "straightening out".

I just wanted to make sure my system was not damaged as I cannot afford to replace it. It appears that it was not damaged...good.

I don't mind people using my system, it's there for enjoyment by all. I don't like it when people change around my set-up since I invested a lot of time to get it just right...that's all.

Frank Girard
Unregistered guest
em69 I would mess with your system, I'd have my way with your speaker balance. Yah, you heard me...

Bronze Member

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 47
Good one Frank, good one.

I got a real kick out of reading some of your previous posts. It appears you have a problem with the english language. Why don't you start with something easy like trying to spell your own name properly.

Frank Girard
Unregistered guest
I respect your opinion and if you don't like what I write call the official Board of Concern - their number 1-800-CONCERN. Again, em69, 1-800-CONCERN.

Bronze Member

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 48
L
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us