Buying Onkyo Home Theater System (HT-S780) In US taking to India what should be my plans will it work

vijay_bit
Unregistered guest
Hi guys..
Am a novice am planning of Buying Onkyo Home Theater System (HT-S780) In US taking to India what should be my plans will it work?.
I have searched many places for answers.
What should eb my concerns.
Thankx for the needful,
-VIJAY

Bronze Member
Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 40
3 things to consider and verify whether they will work in your situation:
1. Power - the system uses 110/220 , 60 Hz with a US type plug. The frequency is very important even if you have the correct voltage converter.

2. DVD is probably region 1/2 only
3. Video is probably compatible with NTSC only.

Unregistered guest
are you certain it will handle 220v? I ask because you mention stuff about the DVD player, and it doesn't have a DVD player as far as I can tell. Are you sure you're looking at the correct model?

Unregistered guest
Hi,
Could any one please help on this topic.
I also have same confusion. Planning to buy HT-S780 to take it to india. It does not have a DVD player. Only receiver and 7 speaker.
Will it work there ? I am worried about frequency as said by Hank.

Vijay,
did you take it to india ? did it work ?
Apprecicate if anybody could provide quick help.

Thanks

Unregistered guest
Hi,
Is it not that the 780 is too haevy to carry to india?i guess it weighs some 100 pounds,with the baggage weight reduced to 46 kgs.

-Raj

Anonymous

It will work in India and all you need to buy is a Voltage Transformer to convert 220V to 110V. In India we have 220V and you can easily get that in India. Where in India you are based at? I can give suggestion on local stores where you can get those. Don't worry about the DVD Player? You can get good ones back in India. Only thing you gotta worry is the weight

Nandu.
Unregistered guest
Vijay,

Were you able to take the Onkyo to India? Did you get more details on that? I was planning the same and would like to get the details.

Thanks,

Nandu

Anonymous

What details you require? It will work without any problem.

Username: Abcdefghi

Post Number: 2
Problem - I just got a surround sound(Zenith 5.1) so I could play with my Xbox. Well I hooked it all up ran my Xbox thru a input connection.

Then when I am playing the game only 1 speaker and the sub works?
It works fine with the DvD player...
I went to the Xbox dashboard and switched it to Dolby Surround Sound and still does the same thing...

If anyone has any suggetions please post

Username: Ssj2690

Post Number: 1
I have Bose Lifestyle 18 from USa.
When i tried to play in India using the transformer, I am getting very weird problems.
1. When there is a large sound in a movie , then the surround speakers shuts off and it come to normal only when the sounds in the movie becomes normal.

So i am not sure if i am using a correct transformer ??

Will you please give me stores info wherei can get the best transformer.
I live near by Mumbai....

Please help.

Username: Sarbik

OK, just bumped thru this grp, I have brought a onkyo system from US to India, No weight problem and all..

Regarding the shut down at high power. The step down transformer which you are using needs to handle higher power (freq). You get it in one shop at chandi.... it will work fine..

Username: Nanduca

Hi Sb,

How did you take the system to India? Isn't it very huge to carry?

Nandu

Username: Abhiabhi

Columbus, Ohio USA

Hi...I am planning to carry a Bose Lifestyle 28 III series DVD home theatre system to India....Will it work in India...If so then would there be a degradation in performance...Please let know.

Username: Vishal

Information Required
====================
I want to purchase home theater system in US and want to ship/bring it to india, can anybody please tell me how should i manage this.

The system i am looking for is ONKYO HT-S780.

thanks in advance..

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1610
­
"can anybody please tell me how should i manage this."

You want shipping advice? I would say don't do it. The cost and chances of damage are high, probably enough to offset the higher cost for this unit (or nearest equivalent) in India.

Then there's the power question. As the above posts have indicated you will need a step down transformer, since neither the receiver nor the powered sub are dual voltage.

Transformers also step up or down the voltage, but they are more expensive than converters and are used with "electronic" products. Electronic products have a chip or circuit. Examples are radios, CD or DVD players, shavers, camcorder battery rechargers, computers, computer printers, fax machines, televisions and answering machines. Transformers can also be used with electric appliances and may be operated continually for many days. The advantage of converters, however, is that they are lighter and less expensive.

Transformers are sold in various sizes based on how much wattage they can support. Therefore one must pay careful attention to the wattage ratings of the appliances to be plugged into a transformer. The wattage rating of the transformer must always be larger than the wattage rating of the appliance to be plugged into it (plus a 25% buffer to allow for heat build-up in the transformer or converter). When plugging multiple items into a power strip, then into the transformer, you must calculate the combined wattage of all appliances and the power strip, then add an additional 25% to that total.

Transformers and converters only convert the voltage, not the frequency. The difference in cycles may cause the motor in a 50 Hz appliance to operate slightly faster when used on 60 Hz electricity. This cycle difference will cause electric clocks and timing circuits to keep incorrect time: European alarm clocks will run faster on 60 Hz electricity and American clocks will lose some 10 minutes every hour when used in Europe. However, most modern electronic equipment like battery chargers, computers, printers, stereos, DVD players, etc. are usually not affected by the difference in cycles and adjust themselves accordingly the slower cycles.

http://users.pandora.be/worldstandards/electricity.htm#country_i
­

Username: Pratech

how did u guys manage to take a bulky home theatre to india? didnt u have any custom problems? I wud be interested if it is possible, so plz give me some more info.
thnx

Username: Puneetsinghal

Hi,

I was planning to buy Bose Lifestyle 18 from USA and use in India. Had a couple of queries:

1) Is the DVD Player code free or it will be US Specific.
2) WIll it work fine using the transformer for voltage conversion.
3) Will the system have international warranty.

Would appreacite if you can help me on this.

Thanks,
Puneet

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1918
­
1) That Bose is of course made for the US market, therefore it will play Region 1 DVD only. It will not play India's Region 5 discs without some modification.

2) See my post above. In other words it will work.

3) You will have to contact Bose with that question. They have a very good customer service department. They should, considering what they charge for their stuff.
­

Username: Puneetsinghal

Hi John,

Thanks for the quick revert.

Had one more clarification to make:Will the system be only NTSC Compatile or it will work on any LCD which I belive nowdays can play both PAL and NTSC formats.

Thanks,
Puneet

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1919
­
The Bose's output is NTSC only, but if your LCD display supports NTSC then there should not be a problem.

Username: Sumitsethi1612gmailcom

Boston, MA US

Hi all,

I bought Bose Companion 3 from US to India.
I am using a step down transformer with specification 240v to 120v and 50/60 HZ. The speakers works fine with low bass but when I increase the bass the speaker shut down and work only with low bass sound.

Can anybody please help me with it?

Username: Duke_19007

Post Number: 4
JUST MAKE SURE YOU DONT DO IT SUMIT

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 15085
Sumit,
You will need to find a step down transformer with higher a amperage and wattage rating. Look at the current draw of the unit you are using and you will need to match that. You can't just get a transformer with the right voltage without considering other factors into play.

Username: Don007

Hello there:
There are a few sure ways:
1. Solid state frequency (& also voltage)changer (compact costly)(Go for double the device Wattage)
2. Ask Tech Support the design freq range for the device. Denon, though sold for USA 60Hz, can accomodate +/-15Hz per dsgn manual. Use Step down transformer. Twice the wattage the device is rated for.
3. Use Car battery. Charge it with Indian charger and use American Inverter Pure Sine type (If tech support okays Modified sine wave... go for that.
4. Buy @ ebay.co.uk / amazon.co.uk and ship to India (Works for sure and items are sometimes cheaper than US equivalent; including shipping).
(My way!!) Wow effect with Fedex huge box!!
5. Go to India... take family for Pride-Shopping and pay twice and buy inferior product. Be happy for having paid for "Shopping Experience" Ignore the product.

Username: Matbhuvi

Hackensack, NJ United States

Onkyo is available in India. You can buy the 7.1 channel HT systems. Why do you need to get it from UK/US? I am not sure about the price difference. I have contacted Onkyo India for the price. Let me get that and then decide whether it is worth to bribe customs with $100 and get this..

Well..looks like it is worth it.

List price in India
HT-S 990 - Rs. 70000/-
HT SR 800 - Rs. 54000/-

In US: SR 800 is around $350. A good regulator might cost around $100 or Rs. 2500?

Even in worst case, there is a saving of Rs 15000

Username: Setu_garg

How do you take such a system past customs at big airports like Delhi ?

Also, wont this increase the baggage weight ? Do we pay extra to the airline ? I think thats too costly.

Username: Dennistan

i brought the bose companion 5. plan to bring it to used at Malaysia. 220v what should i do . if i need the voltage tranform, can you please let me know which one or example of the model. thank you

Username: Gowrishankarp

Hi,

Some of the suggestions mentioned above are very good and I appreciate those who had provided their comments. Wanted to share some info I have gathered:

One of my friend in US had bought BOSE Lifestyle 28 home entertainment and used for a year in US. While returning back to India, he got the media center converted (by sending it to Bose US) to India voltage/freq. Obviously you cant now use the system in US. When he connected the system in India and it worked for few min and heard a little creaking sound and stopped working. When he returned back to US he carried it back and got it fixed in Bose US. I have heard that BOSE India will service Bose system purchased abroad only if there is a India Customs doc for that product. On Customs duty for home theaters, rate of duty is 15.3% for residents returning to India after a stay of 365 days abroad. Refer the site below

http://www.cbec.gov.in/travellers.htm

In case someone has already taken Bose entertainment system to India, please share your thoughts/ideas/suggestions

Username: Vikramshekar

Houston, TX United States

Hi every one

while I and my family returning from US i bought HT-S9100THX. the big woofers and 2 front speakers shipped using USPS postal service (which costed 48$ took 15 day to arrive by post duty paid 1200Rs) the reset 5 speaker and receiver i carried with me in my luggage no duty was paid lucky came out with out any itch. i am using 1kv 120v to 240v converter which costed 1000Rs. connected local DVD player works excellent.

Username: Kartikmody

hi,

Thanks for all the posts replies above. They were really helpful.
I am buying a Onkyo HT-s7300 (Home Theatre system) which i intend to take back to India. i did check whether it is available in India and unfortunately its not launched there yet. So, i will have to take it with me. However, a few questions;

1.) is it a good option to purchase ?

2.) The cost is aroun 899 US$. Will i be charged customs duty at the mumbai airport ?

3.) Will a 100v device work in India (I did read the earlier queries but if someone could help me with a sure shot layman's answer coz i am not a techie)

4.) Will the DVDs work in india ?

5.) India has PAL. So i donno whether this system works with the Indian setup.

a quick reply would be appreciated as i fly out next week !

thanks !

Username: Abhisek

I am going to purchase a BOSE T20 series HT fro US...but my ONLY concern is related to customs... will custom allow me to take it to India from US.???

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 358
bose no !
there are so many cheaper yet triple times better sound then bose believe me at half the price.
LIsten to both then compare...

If you like the size of bose
check out small 5.1 canton speakers with a small
marantz nr1501 reciever .

Bose can't touch this!

theaudioguy.ca

Post Number: 3
+1. Bose is over hyped. Especially in India. I would suggest to get a good receiver from here and get the speakers in India.

Username: Abhisek

by good reciever did u mean amplifiers? like onkyo or yamaha? speaker I can get there any time...money isn't issue, but i dodn't like to compromise music..

Post Number: 4
70% of your sound quality comes from the speaker and 30% from the receiver. Instead of spending $2000 on Bose which has very poor mid range frequency response, spend that on good polk or klipsch speakers. Bose has good bass. But it will compromise the midrange. If you plan to spend $2000 on your home theater, you should spend $300 on receiver and $1700 on speakers.

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 15605
Bose is a name only, for the sound they are out for the price!

Klipsch is a very good choice for the price!

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 361
Bose has good bass ?
Well that's news to me

Right now I like tannoy speakers
Dc6t
With dc4 as rears with either
Marantz Nad or onkyo
Reciever
And $300 on reciever ah no
Gotta be minimum
$600

theaudioguy.ca

Post Number: 5
hehe..my math went wrong..i meant $300 receiver means $700 for speakers. $600 receiver means $1800 should be the budget for speakers. Good receivers need good speakers. Else, it is like feeding an elephant with cat food.

You can get good receivers like Pioneer VSX-1019 for $300 in Amazon right now. Great bang for the buck.

Abhishek..amplifiers are vastly different from receivers. Generally receivers are good enough for home theatres. If you think the receiver is not driving your speakers enough, then you can use an amplifier. For that your receiver should support pre out.

Username: Indianapple

Hi!
i am interested in a Bose Lifestyle.
If anyone in India wants to sell please let me know.
Thank you
PS:I am new to this forum and do not know whether i can post this request here.

Username: Piksin

Sharing my experience for those who are planning to get Onkyo HTIB to India. Make sure you get a strong high wattage step-down transformer and you won't have a problem. I have my set up for over a year now and its been working pretty well so far. The only problem you may face would be when you try to feed the HTIB output to a 220V TV/Projector, it will trip the AC supply. Luckily I even got a Mits Projector which works on 110V.

If anyone has been able to fix this issue, do let me know.

Post Number: 6
^^ That is very interesting. My projector also has 110v and 220v capability (Optoma HD20). The HDMI out to projector should not be related to AC trip (ideally). But, i'll keep your suggestion in my mind when i take my projector and receiver back to india. Thanks for sharing.

Username: Vishsolanki1

Hi
I got Onkyo HT-7300 from USA to india.
You have experinced such i saw in this forum.
I need a good transformer 220v to 100v, can you help me locate.where can get from Pune/mumbai or online.

let me know thanks

Username: Amash_us

I have recently boght Bose T20 from USA, what is the ideal drop down transformer I could buy..

Pl suggest for Indian market and brand name of tranformer...

Username: Sbnnd

Hi,
I am planning to buy the Onkyo TX-SR508 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver (ONLY RECIVER) for $300 from USA and taking to India .Could someone please tell me howmuch will be the customs charges and what are all the things I have to keep as a proof? I am planning to take it on my suitcase.

Thank you
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us