KEF KHT 1005.2's or KHT 2005's

Username: Earthworm

Post Number: 2
Hiya,

I'm in a bit of a quandary, maybe someone can help.
I'm trying to decide between buying a set of new KHT 1005.2's or some second hand 2005's (ie not 2005.2's).

What would you suggest? Are the new 1005.2's better sounding than the original 2005's or not??

Anyone?

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 474
Dave:

I think the second hand 2005 system is better, but this may depend a lot upon your room and your amp. The 2005s need a powerful amp to get the most out of them. So, what size room and what amp or receiver are you using?

Username: Earthworm

Post Number: 3
Thanks for getting back to me Hawk. It's a small room. About 4m by 4m (13ft by 13ft). I'm currently using a Sony HT-SL7A Home Theatre kit (This comes with a TA-KSL7 amp) and is rated at 80W per channel.

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 103
Dave,

I've heard both the 1005s and 2005s and both sound fine. A major difference is the frequency range of the satellites. The 1005 goes down to 120 Hz whereas the 2005 goes down to 80 Hz. Most old and less expensive receivers have a fixed sub crossover point of 80 Hz. Don't know about your receiver though. Unless you have a receiver that allows changing the crossover point and have a good musical subwoofer, the used 2005 will be the much better choice. But as Hawk mentioned, you won't get the best out of these speakers (both the 1005 and 2005) if your receiver doesn't have adequate juice. I suspect your Sony doesn't.

Username: Gandrian

AthensGR

Post Number: 3
Dear Dave & Two Cents.
I have a Marantz 7400 and I'm interesting for KHT 2005.2 You think that's a good A/V Receiver for this HT package or this receiver is overqualified for these HT speakers ? Remember that the cost of MARANTZ SR7400 is bigger than the cost of KHT 2005.2 package.

I'm waiting for your comments.

Best Regards !!!

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 109
George,

Generally you should spend more on the speakers than the receiver, but there is no such thing as absolute rules in this hobby.

I have not listened to the Marantz-KEF combination, but my guess is that they would sound very good together. The KEF speakers benefit from a warm, laid-back receiver, which the Marantz is. Also, as Hawk mentioned, the KEFs require a powerful receiver to sound their best. The 7400 certainly has the necessary power.

I recommend you listen to the Marantz and KEF yourself and compare them with other speaker systems. If the KEFs sound as good as more expensive speakers, then there's no reason for spending more than you have to.

Good luck!

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 495
George:

I have heard the KEFs with the Marantz 7300 (shouldn't be much difference sound-wise from a 7400) and it was an excellent combination. The marantz had the requisite power to get the KEFs to strut their stuff, and the overall sound was very warm and pleasant, and very enjoyable. Highly recommended.

Cheers!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us