5.0 cabling from 5.1 source?

Bronze Member
Username: Konoyaro

San Francisco, CA United States

Post Number: 21
If I don't have a sub-woofer as part of my setup, do I still need 6 interconnects (a 5.0 speaker setup rather than 5.1) from source to AV Amp? Or are all 6 interconnects required to allow my amp to "downmix" the data to be distributed across the 5 speakers?

Bronze Member
Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 30
Your receiver should have a mode where low freq. effects (LFE) are sent to the speakers and not the sub. You need to select that. In my opinion, the subwoofer is what adds fun and excitement to the home theatre experience. You should get one.

Bronze Member
Username: Konoyaro

San Francisco, CA United States

Post Number: 22
Thanks Hank. Sounds like you are suggesting using 6 cables allowing the amp to remix and redistribute the six channels into 5...
Regarding a sub-woofer, if I didn't live in a condo from the 1930's I'd probably own one :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 31
I was suggesting using 5 connections and let the receiver does the remix and distribute the .1 channel to the others (or at least the two fronts). Bummer about the condo situation. I live in a house but can't use the sub too much when my wife is around. She hates having the house shaking :-)

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2534
kon,
All you need to do is set your speakers to big, and the LFE will be sent to your speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us