First Timer Home Theatre Please Help

Username: Dibblejr

Post Number: 1
Anybody Outhere ???
I have read and re-read every post to this thread and have not been able to solve my problem. I am a newbie at this game of trying to setup my home theatre.

I have a Sherwood R945 Receiver, Sony DVP S570D CD/ DVD player with dolby 5.1, Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2200 Cable Box, JVC Stereo Television.
There are no diagrams above with this setup, they either have all of tha with VCR or without cable box.
Radio Shack helped me a little when I bought the gold cables however I cant get sound through the speakers while watching TV and I no longer can listen to the radio through the receiver.
These are the connections that radio shack helped me with, and this is how I have it connected;
1.) Cable from wall to Cable Box "IN"
2.) Cable Box "OUT" to TV
3.) TV Audio " OUT" to Receiver "AUX " ( Front of receiver)
4.) TV "S" Video connected to DVD "S" video
5.) DVD Audio " OUT" 2 CH to Receiver " Rear Pre Out "
6.) DVD Bitstream "Optical" to Receiver " Optical"

FM Antenna is connected correctly and the speakers are also correct.

As I explained above, with these connections I have no surround sound while watching tv and I have no Radio through my receiver.
The Sherwood Manual is very hard to understand for a novice like me, any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

stereo wiring challenged.
JR

Bronze Member
Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 24
I'm not familiar with your equipment so take this with a grain of salt. Your #2 and #3 connections are not optimum. On a typical receiver (yours appears to be a good, full featured one). Typically your receiver will have many identical inputs (video1,2,3, audio (RCA pair red/white) 1,2,3..., a few optical in and a couple of digital coax in and a few outs.

I would do the following for the cable box:

1. Cable box video out to one of the receiver video in (example Video1). This is optional, only when you want to connect to VCR to record. Otherwise just worry about the audio.

2. If you want to hear dolby digital or DTS, you need to connect the cable box digital out to one of the receiver digital COAX IN (1 or 2). Some cable box has optical out...in this case connect optical out to one of receiver's OPTical IN. Do either COAX or OPTICAL but not both.

3. If your cable box doesn't have either COAX out or OPTICAL OUT, connect RCA audio pair (red/white) to one of the receiver's audio IN. Again you only get stereo and therefore simulated surround sound, not true 5.1. For this reason I'd upgrade to a better cable box.

4. I would connect the cable box antenna out to the TV antenna in. That way you can watch casual TV without having to turn on the receiver. The cable box real video and audio outputs should be connected to the receiver.

The way you have hooked up, you need to switch the receiver to AUX to hear and only after you manage to get the TV to output audio...anyways...the sound you will get will be of low quality - TV sound is notoriously poor (also stereo, not 5.1).

Your #5 appears to be all wrong and not necessary at all. I'd disconnect that completely. The preout is the pre-amplified output signals from your receiver. This is only for people who like to use dedicated external amplifiers. Always remember to connect OUT to IN, not OUT to OUT.

Your #6 is fine.

The radio should not require any wiring. Make sure you have the AM and FM antennas connected properly. You will not get any signals if they are not connected. You will need to switch the receiver to tuner mode of course.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 319
SD as a rule of thumb you want every device to go into your receiver and then have your receiver connected to your TV. If your receiver has Monitor Out type of connections such as a S-video out then you don't need to connect your DVD to the TV directly. You should instead connect it to your receiver to take advantage of the better sound and then use your TV as a dumb terminal.

Post Number: 2
Hank, tried the connections above, have the same probs as before.
I did unhook from the preamp.

I am stumped

Post Number: 3
Stof,
I originally hooked everything up with the red and white cables.
The Sherwood has a connection labled for everything.
When I was finished the only thing that worked was the receiver.
I tried what Hank suggested and still have TV, and DVD, but now everything is just using the TV speakers, I tried to shut off the TV speakers and that didnt help.
The Sherwood Owners Manual is no help at all.
I guess I should have purchased one of those home theatres in a box.
Anymore suggestions will be appreciated.
On my receiver it has a coaxial connector that says FM, can I hook the TV cable box to that or is it just FM antenna ?

Bronze Member
Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 26
Surrogate Dibble, can you take a few photos of the back of your receiver, back of your TV and back of your cable box (or diagrams/drawings) -something that I can see the labels. I can draw suggested connections diagram for you at that point. Email me at diverhank@gmail.com

Post Number: 4
Hank,
I appreciate your help and am currently working up a sketch for you, thanks for everything. Will send to your email shortly.

Post Number: 5
Hank,
Sketch sent to your email.

Thank you

Post Number: 6
Hank,
Did you receive the sketch, I tried to place it on the site, but the resolution was too large. If I reduced the quality it wouldnt be readable.

Thanks

mojo86
Unregistered guest
I think you may need to assign your components to your receiver. Check your manual for assignment schedules. I ran into that myself. Hope this helps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us