Plasma Monitor + AV Receiver

Username: Rotterdamsam

Post Number: 1
I don't understand why people buy plasma TVs. I'm looking at the Pioneer PDP-506XDE (with external tuner) but the tuner is crap and adds $1000 to the price of the screen. I'd much rather just get a commercial plasma monitor and use the tuner on my VCR.

Then I can buy an AV receiver to power my speakers. Here's my question: I live in Europe with no hope of HD broadcasts and where digital TV quality is so bad I'm sticking with analog for now.

1) Are there AV receivers with tuners (or better yet dual tuners) or should I just use my VCR for analog TV tuning?

2) Can anyone validate my theory on just buying a plamsa monitor (no integrated or external tuner)? Are there any other things I should consider when doing this?

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2407
There isnt any need for TVs to have a built in tuner. You'll be fine using either the tuner in your cable/sat box. I doubt the VCR tuner would have very good resolution.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the input Paul. I only have analog cable because I live in europe and the digital cable is crap right now. I decided on the pioneer PDP-506XDE which just came out. It has an external tuner with a proprietary "system cable" to the TV. The next question is what is the best way to hook up my other devices (xbox and vcr)? Through the pioneer-provided tuner and then to the A/V receiver for surround sound or everything into the A/V receiver and have the A/V receiver output to the pioneer tuner?

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 318
Yes Sam. Make the TV a dumb terminal. This would be the easiest way to go and certainly produces better sounds.

The idea of a commercial monitor is interesting. What is the kind of monitors have you looked at and what prices? Are they actually cheaper?

Post Number: 3
Actually Stof I'm not sure the monitors alone are cheaper after you buy the connectors you'd need. I decided to go with a consumer model (PDP-506XDE) because it has an external tuner which I need for analog cable. Plus it has a handy PC input.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us