Need Advice for Good Receriver/Speakers

Username: Tonis

Colfax, CA

Post Number: 5
I'm pretty much ignorant when it comes to this stuff, which is why I hope one or many of you can offer some advice. I'll soon be purchasing the 50" Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK and adding an HDMI board to it. I've been looking at the Yamaha HTR-5760 receiver and some Klipsch speakers, but am unsure of the true quality and performance of these products. Can anybody offer some advice here on if I should go with something else? My budget is somewhat limited to around $1500 for HT equipment. I need a receiver, subwoofer, and center speaker. Currently I have a 5.1 setup, though have considered expanding. I have some Infinity rear speakers, along with some mid-1980's Marantz speakers with 15" woofers that still sound pretty good. Any thoughts on the Klipsch F-3 tower speakers? Would the 15" woofers in my Marantz and a subwoofer be overkill on the bass? Should I look for a receiver with an HDMI port? So many questions I know! I great appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 9
For Yamaha receivers, if you can afford a little extra, get the RX-V series rather than HTR series (compare the performance specs, not the features).

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 293
If you plan to run your HDMI through your receiver, those receivers will cost a lot. I would say hold off if you can for a cheaper receiver with the HDMI pass through. There are promises of cheaper receivers with those coming through in the next 3-6 months.

Otherwise look at this thread

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/160136.html

for a review of a Pannasonic Digital receiver. It may be worth your while.

Username: Tonis

Colfax, CA

Post Number: 6
Thanks for the advice. I was planning on running the HDMI directly from the HD tuner (DirecTV)into the set, as recommended. Being unfamiliar with the latest technology and input panels, I wasn't sure if I'd be able to run an HDMI from the tuner into the receiver as well. Do you think the difference in quality of sound from component connections/HDMI is noticiable? I would like to purchase the entire system within the next few months. Though would be willing to wait for the cheaper receiver with the pass through.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us