Need help with making audio system into surround sound

Username: Jeffk

Post Number: 1
I have a very nice LINN stereo system which i wish to upgrade to a surround sound system, but also still be able to listen as a stereo for music (no surround and not effect the set up as it is now).
I presently have a Linn Pre-AMP, 2 Linn Amps (the system is bi-amped in active mode (crossovers are in the amps)). I want to be able to use my Linn system and just add a center channel, 2 rear channel speakers and a sub. My amps only have one input to them which comes from the pre-amp. How can I go surround w/o adding a very expensive processor, amps and all the xtras.
i was thinking it may be an option to add a receiver with pre-outs. This way I can send the front channel pre-outs to my Linn Pre-amp, then hook up the other speakers to outputs from the receiver. Will this config work? I am worried about sending the pre-out signal to a pre-amp, will that hurt the pre amp?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3825
The receiver option is very viable. There are a lot of receivers out there that have pre-out signals. You can use the stereo amp to power the front and the speaker output of the receiver to power the center and surrounds. You will have to bypass the Linn pre-amps and go direct from the receiver to the Linn amps.

Username: Jeffk

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your response Berny. The problems is that my Linn amps only have one input on them (which I have coming from the pre-amp). I dont want to use a switch box or anything like that. I was wondering if it would be bad to send the pre out signal to my pre amp for the two front speakers

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3841
Hello Jeff K
Are we talking about the Linn valves here?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us