Home Theater picture quality

Username: Harv2001

Fullerton, CA USA

Post Number: 1
I have the following setup: Direct TV sat box, Panasonic HDTV, LG 1200w DVD recorder combi receiver with VCR. Hooked up per instruction and everything works OK and sound great, ecept for the TV picture quality. I was told by LG customer service, that the picture is losing quality because of going through two units. Any suggestions to improve that quality or how to get the surrond sound to work if I bypass the cable to tVSR hookup. When conneced by to the TV, the picture is great, but no sound.?

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1569
You should be able to use s-video or RCAs with very little loss. I ran cables 40' to a back room from a satellite and it looks fine. Bad cables maybe?

Username: Harv2001

Fullerton, CA USA

Post Number: 2
I am currently using coxial cables for sat ot tv and tv to vcr. Are S-video better? what is the perferred cable?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1575
Coax is the worst, you don't even get stereo audio with coax. Component is best, then s-video, then RCAs, then coax. If component or s-video, you still need RCAs or a digital connection for audio.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2299
If you have a HDTV, arent you using a HD source?? You should be using either DVI or HDMI to connect directly to your TV.................not any of those mentioned above.

Anonymous

Component is equal to DVI and HDMI

Gold Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 1228
"Component is equal to DVI and HDMI" Not always true. Very equipment dependent. I guess that's why so many of you post anonymously.

The MOFO has spoken.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 354
I would say that statement is incorrect. Component is still analog. DVI and HDMI are digital. Component is video only where as HDMI will carry audio as well. In what way do you think they are equal?

Username: Notsobright

Pennsylvania U.S.A

Post Number: 7
what he ment is that the picture quality with component is equal to the picture quality with DVI and HDMI. which is a fact. only way to stop pirates is by using digital components like dvi and hdmi.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 358
Yes I know. I just don't buy the arguement that the digital to analog conversion that a component goes through does not loose picture quality as opposed to getting digital signals directly from the source to the TV through HDMI.

Username: Notsobright

Pennsylvania U.S.A

Post Number: 8
Agree with Stof. i tried some dvds on my friends DLP monitor, with component the PQ was ok, with DVI and HDMI the PQ was AMAZING. Then i tried the same dvds on my tv which is analog CRT, the PQ with component was nice and sharp, while the PQ with DVI and HDMI lacked. PQ really depends on your TV or monitor, your interconnects and the source of course. One more thing, "gold Toslink" sounds way much better than the audio you get from HDMI. and the 6 channel Analog on SACD and DVD-A sound even BETTER.

Username: Knuxte

Meriden, CT

Post Number: 1
The thing is component video is True 1080i because it is only capable of 720 lines at a time. Because 1080i is interlaced- it will only process 540 lines at a time, but some TVs have built in image processors. They can emulate and re-sync the video signal looks more progressive. but be expected to see alot of scanline and screen door effects because its a component signal- True 1080i signals from component video is really only 540p- which is only 540 lines of resolution, hence you really get only close to DVD resolution, but its a faster framerate (60fps) because it interlaces the frames by double)

If you want close to 1080p quality HDMI, DVI, or VideoPort is the way to go, because the signal is digital (making it easier for the TV to process the frames and make them more progressive the TVs image Processor (Samsungs DNie). If the signal of the video resolution is 1920x1080- the tv will bring it down to the TVs maximum resolution either 1920x540, 1024x768, 1280x1024, 13??x7??

If you really got money to burn- 1080p is around the corner in just a few months.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us