HT is the death of movie theaters. Is it true?

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 261

I read this article on NYtimes today about the decline of the number of people going to see movies in the theaters. Some of the movie executives are suggesting that is due to the rise of good HT alternatives. I would like to find out what you all think.

1) Are you going to the movies less because of the quality of your HT systems?

2) Would you like to get movies simultaneously released on DVD's as in the theater

Here is the original article

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/24/movies/24slum.html?hp

(you may need to sign up to NYT, but its free. Use any old name and password)

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 1002
1.) Most definitely

2.) Yes, and I would go so far as to say it would be ok to ppv before dvd release. That way the industy still gets their double whammy. As long as the movies are in hi-def!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Fnegroni

Berkshire United Kingdom

Post Number: 27
1) Yes
2) Yes

Silver Member

Post Number: 262
Very interesting. I stopped going to the movies after our kids came (hard to line up sitters and it gets expensive). The HT was a real boone for us, but I hadn't actually thought of it as a replacement of movie going until now.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2087
I cant stand movie theaters.

Watching movies in the comfort of your own home is BY FAR the best way to enjoy a good movie.

In no particular order
1.the sound is better at home
2.better picture
3.you can pause and take potty breaks
4.better munchies
5.availability of adult beverages.
6.no destractions and rude talkers
7.no lines
8.YOU control the room temperature
9.The whole family can watch for the cost of a rental, or DVD purchase.(whichever you prefer)

I could go on and on......

Silver Member

Post Number: 263
I know... no sticky floors, cell calls etc. But Paul is that just our age talking? Don't teenagers and young adults still prefer the movie and dating scene to being at home? Anybody here with teenagers care to chime in?

Is there a social aspect of the movie going with an audience that is lost when watching at home?

Gold Member

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 1008
I do not think that teens have stopped, I think that the adult attendance has been the main contrinuting factor. I have 4 in-law teens in my family, they still fequent the movies. I also think that the price is just ridculous, $7-10 a person then a layaway plan for the concessions chaps my as$.

This is how serious I am, I am HUGE Star Wars fan, but did not go to the theater on this last one. I am dying to see it, but not in a crappy movie theater.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3507
I have 2 teens and they prefer our home theater. They do go out to movies on occasion but its just to "hang out" with their friends and not really to be wowed by th theater's big screen.

The common thing with my kids and their friends nowadays is that they see an advertised movie and the first words out of them would be "hey, when is that movie coming out on dvd?"

Gold Member

Post Number: 2094
Oh, and I forgot to mention that having a large 'cushy' lazyboy recliner beats the hell out of those 'flip-up' seats at theaters, and I have a handy endtable for drinks and nacks. No need for the little circle cup holder thing, and no popcorn tub sitting either between my legs, or feet on the sticky floor.........LOL

Stof,
Going to the movies will never go out of style for the teenage crowd.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2095
Joe,
I used to be really bad from around age 16-20. I remember flipping the papers on a typical summer afternoon, and not having a single movie to go to because I had seen every single on currently playing in theaters.(well, not counting the chick flicks, or animated ones)bleh...I never went to those.

Gold Member

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 1015
That's really good to hear Berny, you must have a decent setup.

Paul, I was laways at the movies during my teens , but like Berny said, more to hang out than enjoy the movies(most of the time).

Gold Member

Post Number: 3522
alright...who used to go to the drive-in movies? I never realized how crappy the sound was and ugh the picture quality was horrible.

But the fun factor was there and going with your friends is always cool.

Man, those were some good times.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2099
I used to love the drivins, so long as I rembembered bug spray:-)

Crappy sound???.......whuaaa??
Those silver window hangers sounded awesome!!...lol/jk

Woah, going to the drive-in at that age was the most fun a kids could possibly have. We'd spend more time walking around and socializing than anything else. And if it was a date, then you still wouldnt see the movie(less walking though) .......LOL

The best was going in a pickup with about 10 friends, a big cooler of sudz, a mattress in back, and a bunch of lawn chairs:-)

Ahhhh....the 'good ol days'. Now those were fun & carefree times to reflect back on.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3523
anybody stuff the trunk with their friends:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 267
Can't say I did. Wasn't too cool with the ladies, besides who wanted all those distractions (three is a crowd)

Paul I see your point about the lazy boy, though I don't have one myself. It is nicer to dose off during those really boring movies. Though I am selective with my choices in what I watch.

Still what will it take to get us back into the movie theaters? Do you agree that the movies themselves have become really repetitive and bad (Bewitched? Dukes of Hazard?) and do not offer the thrill that they used to, or am I again just talking my age here?

Gold Member

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 1022
I didn't opt. for the lazyboy, but I settled for this 10ft x 8ft sect. :https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/130160.jpg

Bronze Member
Username: Em69

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 21
I rarely...actually, never go to the movies anymore. Due mostly to the fact I have a few young kids and the price of the movies.

I am just about finished setting up my HT in the basement and I'm looking forward to going to the movie store.

Bronze Member
Username: Divin11112000

Michigan

Post Number: 45
Haven't seen the new starwars yet, really wanted to but my gf and I couldn't justify the $8.50 per person to go see it. That of course does not include any munchies. With our HT at home (still missing a nice TV) the sound is so much better and you have the comfort of pause, sitting how you want, wearing what you want, watching half the movie today the rest tomorrow (LOTR) ect. We probably won't be back to a theater, there is really no reason anymore.
Oh and we are both 26, hopefully we fill your "young adult" section of this servey

Silver Member

Post Number: 269
Newsweek had a whole section on this a few weeks ago also. They had some graphics showing how the movie theaters are trying to change the experience, by adding bars, restaurants, higher end snacks and digital projections.

From what I'm gathering none of this is going to change your this group's mind.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3545
Are they trying to gear it towards the older set? I mean come on...bars? I wonder how much they'll be charging?

Silver Member

Post Number: 270

There were some other ridicules ideas as well: Choosing your own ending, buying the DVD of the movie on the way out and something about a real 3D

Gold Member

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 1034
Actually Stof, the idea of making the theater into a hotspot is all the craze in Europe right now. It might actually change my op. of the movie experience. If there is a good restaurant and comfortable (couches or the like) then it may make for a great evening out with friends, especially if the price is higher than bratty kids can afford (no extra noise).
For right now though, no place like home.

Silver Member
Username: Philman

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 124
Drive-in's, wow! what could be cooler as a kid, then came DUAL screen drive-in's... then there was In-Car sound through your own radio. For some of us that was way-better than the silver box on the window (and it eliminated those mysterious door dings the next day). /sigh/

Theaters could improve their edge with the "sensory vision" of the 70's! Or how about the Bug's Life or Fantasia theaters at Disney? What about the cult shows like Rocky Horror... who's gonna squirt water or throw rice in their own HT. (srry dating myself huh.)

Last time I took my family to the cinema I had to take out a loan, I decided the money and the experience was better spent at home.

Some will always crave the night out, teens still need the space, but for the general population I think it comes to economics. What thrill do I get for my $($$)

Add some new twists and who knows, the pendulum could swing back your way, Stof.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2125
Phil,
I never could figure out how seeming normal kids would flood in to watch that movie...over/over/over. I couldnt stand the Rocky Horror picture show. I guess watching a fairy prancing around looking for a boyfriend to plug,(or whatever)wasnt my cup of tea. I realize it was the 'cool' flick to see back in the day, but geez......not for me. LOL

Joe,
I'll never convert back to theaters:-) Raising the price, and having more comfortable chairs wont get me back.

Tonights first movie of the night??? I picked up Pulp Fiction yesterday, and it will be the first time I've seen it in 11 years...ahhhhhh.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3563
THERE'S the key word..."seemingly normal". That type of obssession is not normal:-)

Silver Member

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 126
Let me set the record straight, I went once... well twice to see what the buzz was all about. By then it had blossomed into a full grown costume party. It wasn't my cup of tea either, but then again I couldn't see all the hype in star wars and having to be the first kid to see the movie or have the action figure this or that.

I do believe that there are attractions for those 'type' of people out there.

To be totally honest, I haven't watched a dozen movies this year. Really, where do you guys find the time? Movie time for me is Dec-Feb. That's it. Kids get to use the HT for their friends... so I guess I need it??

Gold Member

Post Number: 3564
Yes, you most definitely need it. A person's gotta have a hobby:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 271

Philman "time" is precisely my issue. I have seen all of 4 movies this year in the theater. Walking out of seeing Sin City to which I was somewhat cajoled into goin (long story), I wasn't sure what I was most mad about: paying the $10, or absolutely wasting 2 hours of my time.

Time is too short for me to waste watching bad movies, when and if I even get to see a movie. At home, I can turn it off and go to sleep, even if I pick up a bad movie to begin with. In the theaters, somehow, you feel abliged to sit through the rubbish.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2132
I do believe that there are attractions for those 'type' of people out there.

========

Phil,
Yea, they're called freakshows.
LOL

Do you ever watch TV in the evening?? Instead of watching regular TV, I'll watch a movie or two:-) My family isnt generally out and about in the evenings because our children are still small(3 &8).

Gold Member

Post Number: 2133
Stof,
I probably havent seen 4 movies in the theaters in 10 years. My wife takes my daughter a little more frequently, and I usually stay home with the little 'dude'.

When I went to take my daughter to see Star Wars episode3 earlier this spring, the sound was a huge disappointment. It was all Mids/highs, and very little bass:-(

Silver Member

Post Number: 273
That's too bad Paul. You think it has something to do with the theater you were in? I wonder what you will hear when you see it on DVD?

My kids are still too little for star wars, but I can't wait until I show it to them in progression (1-6) and watch their faces as we go from a CGI laden and high action sword fighting effects of "Revenge of the Sith" to the low tech, card board exploding effects of "A New Hope". They will be like "Aaah what happend? Did we go back in time?"

Have you all noticed all the cardboards flying through the scene when the death star blows up in Episode 4? I'll bet you never noticed it until you saw it on DVD on a big screen. It's totally obvious on my projector.

Gold Member

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 1046
That's why I didn't go to S W wanted to give it the sound it deserves. I have watched more older movies lately anyway, everything that comes out of hollywood these days is garbage.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2137
Stoff,
All of the Star Wars movies have excellent LFE effects.

As for all new movies being garbage??...I wouldnt go quite that far. considering the rapid rate that these flicks are being spit out, you have to know that many arent going to be that great. You just need to know how to wade through the mess to find the ones you'll enjoy.

Silver Member

Post Number: 274

Joseph you should see...wait for it on DVD.. Crash. It is probably one of the better movies I have seen lately.

Gold Member

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 1052
Only decent movies I have seen come out of Hollywood lately is "hostage" and "man on fire", but that's also my preference in movies talking.

Silver Member

Post Number: 276
I think a lot of the enjoyment will depend on your mood too. I mean the Italian Job will never be a great movie (at least I don't think) in anyone's dictionary, but sitting there at home with a borrowed copy on a lazy night, it was decent entertainment.

Silver Member

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 127
Sorry to disappoint you guys but the only time I turn on the TV MIGHT be to catch the evening news. I just got done building a 6000 sqft house for my brother (structured wiring and automation)and between remodeling ours and my consulting side business, girls sports, regular work, and camping there really is no time to enjoy a good movie.

But Believe me, I monitor this board to see what's a-buzz so that when I do get that coveted 2hr window I can spend it with some quality entertainment.

So do me a favor and don't steer me wrong on the choices, it would be like stealing from me! Upload (like I stole this smiley)

Gold Member

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 1054
Man on fire (Denzel)
Hostage (Bruce Willis)
Spartan (Val Kilmer)

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 1190
CRYBABY-CRYBABY- BED-TIME NOW!

Rock-a-bye baby, in the tree top
When the wind blows, the cradle will rock
When the bough breaks, the cradle will fall
And down will come baby, cradle and all

NOW THERE, there will be no treats for you tomorrow....say good night to the ecoustics now there's a good CRYBABY...good-night CRYBABY.................

Gold Member

Post Number: 1194
Upload

Well it's my belief that DVD will curse more slips in ticket admissions, and major's distributors like Fox, Warner, Universal, Paramount and Colombia well be the fault and the demise of cinema chains closing, that's one possible prediction though.

Some I wound say that have home cinema, are not being supportive enough towards this and if you are really are going to criticise about something you know very little about, makes you the worse company to be around, sure I've worked in the industry for a short while and seeing a half full auditorium, to any projectionist is depressing.

In my home town of Bournemouth there are some really poor, quality cinemas but its down to there budget to what they can afford to replace or what will just keep it moving on, although I would say slow, slow at getting issues like newer seating, relaying a new carpet, or sound equipment and have the newest "JBL, Martin Audio, EV or KCS" loudspeakers systems, doesn't mean that it will sound good, it takes a good sound engineer to do the alignment of the optical sound heads on the projector for analogue playback as well as all three digital sound formats Dolby SR-D dts and SDDS, SDDS which has had a small decline in installations due to durability of the edge ware of the digital track which is encoded on both sides of the 35mm print, anyway enough about "SDDS."

Adjust of the EQ in the auditorium which is set to X-curve where it rolls of at 2KHz per 1/3 octave db, all this alone can takes a few hours to do, for some that enjoy the Dolby SR-D experience, with delights like the, Lucasfilm Ltd "THX" sound system program, which is now just called "THX" under a newer company that has taken this on,

That's why some of your Audio Video Receivers have just the THX logo on them instead of Lucasfilm "THX" same standards that, have been laid down by chief sound engineer "Tomlinson Holman" way back in 1983, and though there are many others like "John Allen" with his own "HPS-4000" High Performance Stereo, stereo to all seats, has raised a few eyebrows within the industry.

So it may not all be about the pop corn anymore, sure not for me I go to listen, and though I can put up with some munching in the far backgrounds of the auditorium, fine, just remember when you do that, to yourself you are not only make a sound on the outside, but on the inside, your head or skull is a "resonate chamber" in head sound, anyway, I'll leave you guys to wonder one on this topic, till some of you feel just a little guilty in some of the comments that I have read needs more fact.

Been there done with great heart...

That's all folks.....

Gold Member

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 1062
Andy, even though I don't care about your moronic posting, some other members may get irritated with you, again. You may want to keep the comments to our conflict threads, or just continue and you will be the one who is ignored on this forum. Your choice.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1198
Joesph,

Well it's a free specking mater to speak, and for those that like to know some facts, and the jealousy that you are showing towards me Joseph, is really taxing now, if you have any fact to present whilst making spiteful comments, sure freely to speck but purse, breath in and think about the issues, that goes on in the cinema, I've been there and knowing what its like, can be very enjoying with good prospects, so the cinema chains have had a decline in ticket sales, due to lack of support.

And feel you just don't like me, no more like hate, fine if you like to be above everyone else, whilst giving some newer members an unwelocoing feeling of despair and disbelief, this isn't the only forums site that I'm joined to you know, and if you acted towards me on so, many countless occasions now, you would not get a seconds chance on the other two sites, so I am now, offering you the chance for a truce, that means from now and onwards, no more name calling no more, as life is too short for this nonsense to continue any more further than it's already been taken too....

Gold Member

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 1082
The only problem I ever had with you Andy was the comment you made about hoping innocent people would die. That really gets me going. You happened to jump into that conflict with T and myself because of the comments being made in the "suggestions" thread. I will stop annoying you Andy, but know I still think what you said is very wrong.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1199
Joseph,

Only in rearguards to one person that lied towards my friends, and when you find out that a police officer, says they believe, believe that my mother is dead without any thought of logic to bring this sad news to myself, no, no mate, that's totally bang out of order, and so yeah to a small degree I hate the police for that unsoundly and crawl spiteful, without remorsefully saying sorry towards me.......

So now Joseph, is it now more clearer picture, of the story, and still I'm messed up in the head after they said this almost two years ago now, so I have every rightful meaning to have said, I hope something happens to the leading Police officer who is a snake.....

That's all I'm saying on that and for all to read this sad story, until it happens to yourself, and boy, oh boy you would what to sue the police department or have the idiot removed from his position, before he does the same silly thing again and harms the persons heart, yes I'm heartbroken, and have little contact with my mother, and not knowing for sure if this is true, has they showed no written proof...........

I've Got to lay down as I'm still in shock over it..........

Silver Member

Post Number: 278
Another good article. A bit long

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/28/business/media/28movie.html

Gold Member

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 1085
That's one thing I do not support, bootleg dvd's.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1212
Joseph

I believe it was two Canadians that where caught in the act, whilst coping "Star Wars episode 2 Attack of the Clones" back in 2002 not sure if they where sent to a federal prison each for 5 years, or was it the stiff $250.000 dollars that they each had to pay......

Idiots, why just can't they wait for the DVD release, which was towards the end of the year, some will not learn that it is not your material to copy, and the laws in the USA and Canada as well as over hear in the UK are stiffer than ever, it's up to 10 years in prison if you are found to be proved guilty, therefore you will be sent down for 10 years.

Or a fine that will cost more than copying and duplication of the owners copyrighted material.

Ashley

Username: Pcdoctor

Post Number: 1
Yes but I only go if there is a movie that I really want to see.
Yes but only if the dvds are a good price.

My Home Theater On A Budget
http://community.webshots.com/user/myhometheater

Gold Member

Post Number: 1215
Pcdoctor

Very impressive, Hail Laserdisc, I myself am still running two Pioneer Laserdisc players CLD-1750 & CLD-2950 pal / ntsc alone with two DVD player Sony DVP-S336& Pioneer DV-525.

I must say I really do like what you have achieved with the seating and the small details like the exit sign, keep it up...

Ashley

Silver Member

Post Number: 279
Andy brother slow down a bit. Your comments are very hard to follow. Allow me to make a suggestion. When you finish typing a comment, go back and read it out loud (not just to yourself). You will be able to make a lot of corrections and I promise you will see a big difference in your output.

I do value your comments, and see a lot of intelligence and thoughtfulness behind them. However this medium being what it is, is limiting in its ability to get your thoughts across to the written word. I promise this will make a difference.

Bronze Member
Username: Em69

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 23
PCdoc...your link does not work.

Username: Willng24

Post Number: 4
HT has cut my moving going time to a fraction of what it use to be. No fight for a parking space, good seating or tickets. Additionally, the cost of a movie is just about the price of a Dvd. The only benefit for the theaters are newer releases and a bigger screen.

Gold Member

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 1089
Don't waste your money on "the Ring Two", man I hate over expecting the outcome of a "name brand" movie. Should I even try with "Sahara"??, anyone seen it?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1222
Stof,

Read it out loud, don't normally do that, but I do get the picture on that, so I'll read it out loud, in future postings as humanly possible....

Ashley

Gold Member

Post Number: 1223
King Kong Vs the pirates hear, hear, those b-a-s-t-a-r-d-s just kill the industry, I say feed them to King Kong.........

I'm also looking very forward to it this fall; King Kong the original is getting re-released just before Peter Jackson's version hits the screens in December 2005....

I'm KING OF THE WORLD!
Upload

Ashley

Gold Member

Post Number: 3655
Joe C,
I am planning on getting "Sahara". Plot be dam_ned, I like a decent action flick. Let me know how it is.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2170
I have The Ring1, and thought it was ok, but passed on part2. I thought 1 was enough.

I will buy Sahara this week because it looks like a big epic adventure, and I enjoy that type of movie.

Gold Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 1003
Answers to Stof's original post: Yes to both questions.

Silver Member

Post Number: 282
You want big epic adventure, get Spartacus. It eats Gladiators for lunch any day.

no more hollywood
Unregistered guest
Don't go to movies because there are no compelling movies out there. No fresh stories. All special EFX and the wow factor is gone.

Seems all the movies are remakes and worse remakes of old television shows that were terrible as well.

The film makers are gone, It has become a factory of fluff. Sundance still has some good flicks.
People seem more in awe of picture and sound quality then content.

Besides its way less expensive to watch mediocre movies at home. The savings in popcorn alone pays for the Home Theater in a year LOL.

The online rental is the best. Netflix, BB whichever. Its the way to go for me.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us