Advice for multi zone home setup incl. home theatre

Unregistered guest
I am trying to decide what the best method of organizing a new multi-zone stereo system. The systems has 5 zones (incl home theatre) and is in a very large house (15' ceilings). I have narrowed it down to two possibilities, and would love any input.

OPTION #1:

- One Sony home theatre amp that runs the home theatre system(6.1/7.1).
- Four Sony regular/cheap amps to run the other four zones.

I like this option because I am confident in the Sony products and know it will be visually appealing (open cabinet). My only concern with this setup is really how I can hookup the sources. I want to have one DVD/CD player that can provide the source for any of the five amps. Is that possible? If so, what is the best way to wire the amps to the source. Similarly, I want to be able to run my satellite receiver through all five amps so that I could listen to the digital music channels anywhere in my house.

OPTION #2:

- One Sony home theatre amp to run the home theatre.
- One Sonance dab1 to run the other 4 zones.

I know the Sonance system is supposed to work great but I am a little hesitant due to the complications in wiring touch pads all over my house. I'm not sure it will fit my 150 year old house. I think this system has some type of looping so I can run the sources through any zone I like.

Any advice would be very helpful on these two options, or if you have a third option I am very willing to listen. Thanks again. If you know of a good installer in the Toronto, Canada area, please pass along a contact number.

Thanks

Mooney
Unregistered guest
No help available? Must be a tough question

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 287
Mooney this is a tough question because you have not provided your need and usage. I assume you are not doing all this just to watch HT all over the house. If so then why would you want a center be-all solution for what you will still be using for music and having to worry about running cables all over the place?

I would run separate systems in the different floors. Concentrate on a HT receiver and speakers in your HT room, then look for a dual zone amp more geared towards music for your other floors.

Hate to burst your bubble with the Sony, but you can look all over this site and not find too many people impressed with the sound nor the quality build of Sony's these days. If you have the money look into Denon, Marantz, Harmon Kardon lines. If not you will still do better with Yamaha.

Silver Member
Username: Philman

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 128
A very slick way to do it is with the RUSSOUND CAM6.6 for whole house audio or CAV6.6 (with video).
Put an UNO-S1 or 2 keypad and your favorite speakers in each room and you have 6 zones with 6 sources selectable at each room. Tie the CAM and Keypads together with Belden # 7950A Keypad/Speaker cable. (Speakers wire from the room keypad)

Just add the components you want for each source. 1 cd 1 tuner 1 sat etc. all in your central rack location.

http://www.russound.com/pdf/brochures/CAM6.6_Brochure.pdf

http://www.russound.com/pdf/brochures/CAV6.6_Brochure.pdf

That would be my solution for multizone/source setup.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us