New 7.1 Receiver Recommendation

Username: Hhuffman

Post Number: 1
Hi All,
I am in a quandry. I just moved into a new house with a great room for my home theater. The dimensions are roughtly 24X18 with cathedal celeing.

I currently have a Onkyo 6.1 receiver and five speakers already. (All Cambridge Soundworks) MC 500 (center), 500T's (towers), 300S (surrounds). I am having the room wired for the surrounds so I figured that while that was being done, why not add the 6th speaker. Then I started thinking, should I bite the bullet and get a new 7.1 receiver so that I can run the current standard number of speakers.

Since my budget is tight from the speakers and wiring, what would you all recommend for a 7.1 amp that would meet my wants for around $400 (internet pricing of course)? I love the auto calibration feature some of the receivers offer so if that helps narrow the field, great.

Other info. I use it solely for movies and television. Clarity is more important than loudness.

Feel free to tell me that 7.1 is not worth it if you feel that way. I personally have never heard it so I am just assuming it is a good upgrade.

Thanks a lot,
Heath

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1961
If you're looking for a great 7.1 HT receiver, the YammiHTR5790 would make an excellent choice, and it will do everything you ask of it within your budget range.

Username: Willng24

Red Sox Nation

Post Number: 6
I think your 6.1 is still a good product. I can't think of any movie that is produced in 7.1 The only audio cd that may come in 6.1 is the eagles farewell tour. I have a 7.1 and I don't think it is wort the extra $. The most affordable 7.1 is produced by sony. I haven't experienced the quality, but what can you expect from the cheapest?? Check out CNET.com for specs, but I say save the money and get a bigger tv!!!!

Username: Hhuffman

Post Number: 4
Hey All,
I have gone with the 6.1 and had it set up by Cambridge Soundworks technician. Every time I check to see if the 6th speaker is working, I can't hear anything coming out of it. Isn't it supposed to run the center channel signal out of it, or only work if the audio is recorded in 6.1?

In either event, I am very glad I got 6 over 7 as the 5 main speakers do 99% of the work.

Side note: Although the movie Alexander is s crappy film, the audio is amazing. The best auditory experience from a film I have heard yet. As the dialog is worthless, you can even turn down the center channel all the way down and enjoy the sound for them other speakers even better.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2304
Heath,
Go into your receiver menus to make sure you've activated it. You may need to do that manually which amounts to hitting a button on your remote once you know how everything works....and no, it doesnt run the center channel signal. What it will do is output some of what each surround is outputting. The effect will be that of filling in between the two surrounds.

Good luck

602 too
Unregistered guest
Looks like your into thx ultra territory given that room volume you quoted. I'd see what Pioneer has for the money you want to spend. Look for watts per dollar. 'Yammer' has some darned good internet prices, but your forgoing the two year warranty if you go on the cheap. Onkyo is relying on there 702 the cover the $500 price point. But to answer your initial question check out Yammer's 757....less than $450 internet.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us