KOSS HOME THEATER SYSTEMS

Username: Koss_info

Post Number: 1
Don't go near a Koss Home theater system! Don't take my word for it, do a search first! My experience should be enough to turn you away. I bought a KS4190, home theater in a box. Koss systems only carry a 90 day warranty. A few months after the purchase the subwoofer went bad, so I bought a powered subwoofer as a replacement. The receiver/dvd player started making screeching noises within six months of purchase. It grew worse until the unit finally went up in smoke (literally). I started searching the internet for a replacement and discovered numerous other people had experienced the same thing. I decided to contact their customer service and let them know about the wealth of information indicating they were selling a product of poor quality. To my surprise they offered to replace the defective unit if I mailed it with a written explanation of the problem. I did. Then they wrote me back and requested that I mail the speakers and subwoofer. My phone conversation and written explanation clearly related the fact that the subwoofer was in a dump somewhere and no longer available. "Koss" decided that I would have to mail the remaining speakers and write them a check for the missing subwoofer. I contacted customer service in an attempt to re-explain the missing subwoofer issue and offered to provide a receipt proving that the piece had to be replaced shortly after the purchase was made. The "customer service supervisor" that I spoke to stated that he hadn't made the decision, nor did he have the power to make or change the decision, but refused to allow me to speak to anyone who could make such a decision even if the decision weren't in my favor. I did't get angry, but in a reasonable way I explained to him that if I weren't allowed to speak to someone with the authority to decide such matters I would post a website relating my experience, and that I would contact every retailer selling Koss products to advise them of the poor quality and customer service provided by this vendor. Folks, don't do it, I promise you that you will have regrets. If you've already done it, or you chose to ignore me, make sure you post something for the world to see after you've had your own bad experience, and call retailers to let them know they have a poor vendor on their sale's floor. If they get enough complaints Koss will start to wither away and they might start taking quality and customer service seriously.

Anonymous

I too have had a poor quality experience with a KOSS system. After using it only a few times, the audio quality started to deteriorate, then the picture began to freeze up. I contacted my store - only to learn of the 90 day warranty. Koss now says that they will be willing to replace my unit - for only $ 110!. No way will I ever buy a KOSS product!

Unregistered guest
someone knows the dvd unlocking code for the koss ks4190?
please, let me know al sbiekler@sidersa.com.ar

precizionmodz.com
Unregistered guest

Bronze Member
Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 100
u guys are idiots if you thought you could buy ht for under $1000

Username: Visha_1

I purchased a koss KS3102 home theater in US, bought it to india ( power supply difference 110 vs 220 volts), used a converter, still the system went kaput - the power supply module needs to be changed, can anybody help? and yes its been more than 90 days!!!!

tolerance
Unregistered guest
Eric,

How constructive. I'm sure that you are a genius!

No fan of Eric
Unregistered guest
I agree with "tolerance" - Eric, you're an idiot for opening your big mouth. Why don't you enlighten all of us dummies, bunghole?

NoKoss_ForME
Unregistered guest
WOW! Am I ever glad I read these posts BEFORE I bought a Koss system - which I WAS considering.

Forget it now.

Hey, Thanks for the heads-up.
NoKoss ForME

KOSSisn'tGood
Unregistered guest
I too must confess that I have had problems with a KOSS home theater system. My father bought me a KOSS system for Christmas last year. Of course, he bought it in November and gave it to me in December. I hooked it up in January. By February it started having problems. It would lock up on movies. Then freeze completely.

I called customer service and they gave me the code to unlock it. (Mind you, this was within the 90 days). That worked, for a month. Then it did it again. I put in the code again. That worked, for two weeks.

Then it started completely locking up on my movies and making loud noises anytime the system was turned on (Even to watch regular television.)

When I called the next time, yep, you got it, I got the "It's over 90 days and all we can do is replace it" line. They want to charge me $120 plus the shipping to and from. I can get another system in the stores for less than that.

So, don't buy a KOSS system. I'm stuck with mine, plus I now have to buy a brand new system if I want something that works.

I'm just glad to know I'm not the only one who has had problems with it. Not that I wish ill on anyone, but at least other people realize what a sham this company is and how inferior it's products are.

I will never buy a KOSS product again. (Though I didn't buy this one, ironically.)

Unregistered guest
I do agree with "No Fan of Eric". Eric ur n a*s with no holes that's the reason i guess u take out everything frm ur stinking mouth-MF.

Bronze Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 71
Eric:
You can build a good home theater system without breaking the bank. Granted, having a nice budget on a good system will allow you an experience that WILL rival movie theaters. But, most people don't have that kind of money to spend.

However, fortunately, you can get a great sound below $1000.

Now, for the issue of Koss. Koss is, first and foremost, a headphone manufacturer (and probably one that has been declining in prosperity for some time in the face of better manufacturers). Koss has made decent headphones, but I wouldn't put much faith in any of their other products from what I've used from them, seen of them, and heard about them. If you are after a home theater system, stick with what has a reputation. It may be more expensive, but the investment typically lasts for the long haul. BUT, always research your choices first. Don't buy on a whim or on the suggestion of the sales staff. - Reinhart

Passerby
Unregistered guest
just thought i'd throw in here that i've had a Koss ht for about a year and a half to 2 years...not a problem with it...all the speakers and the sub works...it still plays all my dvds, cds and the radio still works on it...now i just wonder if it has a unlock code for other region disks...

MMMMMike
Unregistered guest
I have a low paying job and can hardly scrape up enough money for any kind of system. I did want to try getting a HT, but now that Eric has clarified that I would be an idiot for even trying, parhaps I should just stick with my vcr coming through the speakers in my 20" TV

Silver Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 268
What you can try is to set aside a little bit at a time towards your purchase. Over time, you will have enough to purchase what you want.

It may take a while, but it's still possible.

Also, you don't have to buy new. Also consider the possibility of buying used equipment. You just have to be more vigilant about knowing what it is that you're buying. - Reinhart

Unregistered guest
I have had a Koss 3102 for 2yrs, it works perfect, no problems. I am buying a Koss 5192 on Ebay, hope that it is just as good.

Anonymous

Believe it or not we also purchased a Koss KS3102 Home Theater System over a year ago and returned the first system within 90 days. Low and behold a year later our system started making cracking noises. We assumed that we needed to replace the speaker wires, but unfortunately it did not correct the problem. Within an hour the sound system went completely dead. We advise all cusomers not to ever purchase a Koss product.

KOSS_TEH_SUX
Unregistered guest
yeah... KOSS freakin' stinks. I have gone through two (one purchased, one replaced from retailer)of the ks3102 and both have failed audio. I wish I had run into this board before making the mistake of purchasing.

KOSS_TEH_SUCK
Unregistered guest
yeah, Koss can suck it.

I have had two of the ks3102 HT units (1 purchased, 1 replaced by retailer). Both units suffered from the same problem... the audio craps out when ever it feels like it. I wish I had known ahead of time what POS Koss were selling.

Now I'm stuck with it.

Jihad on KOSS.

obtw, Eric can suck it too.

Koss = crap
Unregistered guest
You guys are just mad because Eric is telling it like it is and now you're stuck with some POS HT unit. I know the truth hurts but it really stings when you get screwed and someone reminds you.

Koss is Badddd
Unregistered guest
Koss is total crap, almost as bad as that Durabrand garbage. What's that saying? You get what you pay for.

Good way to get back at Koss. Write a letter telling them how pissed off you are with their product and say that you are going to tell at least 20 of your friends and family via a chain email of your ordeal and that they should pass it on to 10 of their friends and so on. Maybe they'll elect to give you your money back or replace the equipment.

That's if they speak or can read English anymore.

Bronze Member
Username: Tehkrapht

Texas USA

Post Number: 16
Koss is Badddd: No, Durabrand is MUCH better than Koss, atleast it lasts for more than four months.

I am unfortunate enough to own a Koss KS5192 HTiB system. I bought it January 2005, it starting giving me problems in April, just a little over a week after the warranty expired. If you care to see the whole list of problems I've had with it, then read on:

* DVDs skip, MP3s hang, CDs freeze. These discs were new, clean, and unscratched. Played perfect in other DVD players.
* Scratches discs! If you open the disc tray, you'll see a hole in the middle of the ridge that separates the mini-disc and compact-disc sections of the tray. Unless you file off the points where the ridge meets the hole, it will scratch your discs over time!
* In May 2005, the front fan began buzzing insanely loud. I called both Sears and Koss about this problem. Sears won't fix it ("Koss doesn't sell internal parts for this unit") and Koss says they'll replace it... for $120 plus S&H!!!
* It does not output 1000 watts of total power like advertised! In fact, it can only output about 600 watts, if that even. Tons of distortion as well!
* See those little silver domes on the satellite speakers? Think those are tweeters? Think again... I opened up one of my Koss speakers recently, that "tweeter" is nothing but a thin piece of film glued in place! Literally, it is just there for show.
* If you use the analog inputs, you can hear loud crackling during silence.
* If you use the digital inputs, you're going to experience some terrible lag in the audio!
* No Dolby ProLogicII for MP3 & WMA discs!
* After some time of using DPLII for the radio tuner, the left speaker will start crackling and the subwoofer will cut off!

Seriously, these cheap b a stards need to be put out of business. Write a letter to the place you've bought these piles of dung from telling them to stop distrubuting anything with the Koss name on it!

Koss is Badddd
Unregistered guest
That's crazy. How can they get away with this shee-ite? What's funny is that people continue to buy on price alone not realizing that in the long term (a few months in this case) they end up paying twice as much to replace it.

First you get taxed on your pay, then you buy the crap and pay sales tax (unless you live in DelaWhere). Then you pay to replace it, hopefully with a quality product because you learned your lesson - and then you pay the tax all over again. What a joke.

christopherBL
Unregistered guest
hey... how do you change the input to optical oh yeah by the way i got mine 2 xmas` ago and no probs yet! wish all of yall better luck.

Bronze Member
Username: Tehkrapht

Texas USA

Post Number: 19
Lucky you... give it another year.

1) Turn the power on
2) Enter AV1 or AV2 mode
3) Press MENU on the remote
4) Use Left or Right to select INPUT
5) Press OK, select which input
6) Press OK, then up Up or Down to select OPTICAL

Unregistered guest
Anyone know where I can get some parts for the home theater I have? It is a KS3161 system and I need the cords and remote.

ltd price
Unregistered guest
Well, my KOSS lasted ~18 months. The DVD player works with the TV and the speakers work with my stereo, it's just that the DVD player and speakers don't work together. I think the receiver is blown! For what I paid, I probably got my money's worth and learned a good lesson to boot...you do get ehat you pay for.

Ron32
Unregistered guest
TO ALL:
Wish i would've seen these posts a couple weeks ago on KOSS. I've just purchased a Koss 4192 from ebay, the only problem i've noticed is the front fan roars for a minute or so then runs normally. i was told this is normal til it warms up. Now after reading all these posts i'm waiting for a major meltdown!!!
I have to say though that i've watched band of brothers and a couple other war movies with all seven speakers going and the sound was amazing on it.
good luck to everyone thats bought one of these, i'm hoping for the best.

Unregistered guest
F*** Koss it sucks balls! I bought one for $120.00 and its quality sucks. The audio takes a **** whenever making insanly annoying sounds.
It said 1000 watts total power, wich is a lie. In the discription it said 135 watts to seven channels, that equals only 945 watts. Don,t buy one honestly.

Xtulpeta
Unregistered guest
Really, you shouldn't trust any piece of equipment that states 1000 watts total power. They are hiding something. That's peak power not RMS. Huge power ratings are designed to suck in people that think bigger is better and guys with small diiicks.

Plus, the $120 pricetag should have been a dead giveaway that it's crap. That kind of sh!t is usually found in Walmart or a JC Whitney catalog.

Xtulpeta
Unregistered guest
Really, you shouldn't trust any piece of equipment that states 1000 watts total power. They are hiding something. That's peak power not RMS. Huge power ratings are designed to suck in people that think bigger is better and guys with small diiicks.

Plus, the $120 pricetag should have been a dead giveaway that it's crap. That kind of sh!t is usually found in Walmart or a JC Whitney catalog.

Username: Another_victim

CRAP!!!!! see note from cutomer service......

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Koss Customer Support.

With you inquiry regarding the KS4190 home theater system, we would like to
inform you that we do not have a any information about internal parts of the
unit and we do not repair or service our products rather we provide
replacement for the entire unit."...

My unit only plays zone 0 dvds. duh!!! Which excludes 99% of all dvds in the US. It sucks. Customer service was no help. The above note was the last of several after trying for days to explain the problem..yip a simple problem like 'It does not play zone 1 as advertised'. These guys are clueless. Why would I pay for a replacement piece of crap..yip warranty period has expired. STAY FAR AWAY!!!

Username: Iart

thanks people, i ALMOST made the mistake of using my 3500 airmiles to collect a KOSS KS4102 home theatre. I'll use those miles more wisely.

Silver Member
Username: Oxpecker

Post Number: 135
here's the face of a jackoff from montreal who sells this sh*tUpload

Username: Techwizz

Guys, if you have the time to open up your koss system and take a picture of the power supply module since my Koss KS4190 bugged down. Root cause is a PWM IC burnt up leaving no trace of part number on it. That's why I cannot buy a replacement part for it since I do not have it's part number. Anyone who would be so kind, please email the pic to michaelaneglo_usc11@yahoo.com. Thanks in advance.

Username: Koss_user

I have used a KOSS KS2503 for about a year and could play CD/DVD anymore because of a "MSG 04" message always shown on LED panel when start the DVD player. Any idea about the "MSG04"?

Thanks.

Username: Cryophil

Post Number: 2
I had the MSG 04 problem. Opened the player up. Messed around. Figured out that the 5-disc tray was hanging up a little during the initialization.

The issue is that the tray screws into and rotates around a stand-up beam. On the underside of the tray are gear teeth which are spun by a gear on the main unit underneath. The real culprit is the stand-up beam in the very middle. It is too long.

The fix is to first try just tightening the middle black screw holding the tray onto the stand-up beam. If this tightens and MSG 04 goes away, you're done. If it does not tighten at all or much at all, then remove the screw (actually a bolt) and using a razor or sharp blade, scrape the top 1/4 millimeter off the stand-up beam. Apply some grease around the beam and on top.

Note, you may have to remove the tray to do all this. If so, that is the most tricky part. Carefully lift on the tray on the front side as you rotate it. Try to free a disc circle edge over the top of the front DVD cover and free the tray. To re-set the tray, put it on the stand up beam with the front side of the tray slanted up and slowly rotate while setting it in and down.

After re-seating the tray, screw the bolt down but do not tighten all the way. Tighten it enough to allow rotation and enough to rid the msg 04 problem.

I shaved my stand-up beam and have never seen a MSG 04 since.

Username: General_lee

hey anyone know where the volume chip is on a ks3102 mine acts up when i have the center ans surround speakers on

Username: General_lee

hey anyone know where the volume chip is on a ks3102 mine acts up when i have the center and surround speakers on

Username: Bubbies

I just recieved a Koss KS5192 home theater system and the voice doesn't match up with the volume, how do I fix this problem with out having to throw this whole system in the garbage. Please help me.

Username: Rumson

I've had mine for almost 3 years now, with no real problems except for the fan noise. The other day, I was rewinding chapters on a dvd i was playing, and it froze up. That turned into the output for the dvd not showing up on the tv. The dvd plays, and sound from the dvd comes out of the speaker, but no video. Ive tried switching the input to my tv, but no luck. Anyone else had this happen?

Username: Vargkillers

i have had the koss ks3102 for 2 years
and it has been the best home theater system i have had, plain and simple i cannot say anything bad about this one

Username: Djpp1234

I am setting up my girlfriend's KS2503 that she got some time ago put never set up. Somewhere along the line the owner's manual went bye-bye. I have managed to setup the DVD player but I can't seem to get the right hook-ups to play the TV sound through the KS2503 speakers. Anyone know where to get a KS2503 manual online or have any suggestions on completing this setup? Thanks!

Username: Dontbuykoss

I purchased a Koss KS3102 in Jan 05 and it lasted a day before the sound gave out. I brought it back and exchanged it for a new one and up until Nov 06 it worked fine. It appears that Koss Electronics is out of business, at least in North America and Koss itself is only making headphones. This was the ONLY electronic product I purchased without doing a quality check to see other people's experiences. The only saving grace was not paying a great deal of money for this clunker. You learn from your mistakes and this was definitely one of them. I'll never buy anything associated with the Koss name again.

Username: Another_unsatisfied_cu...

I too am one of those unfortunate people that got a koss as a Christmas gift. While at the time I was excited because I had no idea of the potential problems I might have with it I have come to find that there are some common problems several people have had with them. I have a ks2503 and for the first couple of years that I owned it I had little to no problems with it but eventually ran into the problem of the dvd tray not opening and closing smoothly. I have fixed that thanks to the advice of others but have recently discovered that it will not even turn on anymore. I opened it up and found that the AGC fuse in it was bad but have been unable to find the specs to replace it. If anyone knows what they are please let me know, and wish me luck that the fuse is the only problem.

Username: Sunkat

Freetown, Wa Sierra leone

My Koss3102 recent bought has a power unit problem that had some parts burt out due to power surge. Can someone help with color codes of resistors R517, R518, R519; and description of IC502.

Thanks
email: sunkat@justice.com

Username: Shamblin

San Antonio, TX USA

I have had a KS2503 for a couple years and just yesterday, for no apparent reason, the speakers stopped working. Nothing was changed, just stopped producing sound. I've tried everything I know but nothing seems to get the speakers to work. I had been hearing some random 'crackling' from the speakers about a week before they stopped working. Could there be a speaker card that busted? Any ideas?

Username: Bobevans

Post Number: 9
Cool, Cheap Furniture for Home Theater Systems
http://www.sleekspace.com Free Shipping!

Bronze Member
Username: Huron

If there`s no highs or...

Post Number: 75
bob evens you fagget stop the spam shittt fagg boy!

Username: Niemo29

Progressive Scan problem on a KS2503

A few days ago one of my kids was screwing around with the remote to my KS2503 & I believe she activated the Progressive Scan feature on the thing. Now I get sound but absolutely no picture. I can not even get the menu screen to come back to try to turn the progressive scan off again. It is unusable right now. Does anyone know if there is a way to correct this? Thanks

Username: Amtrakk

Jackson, Alabama Usa

I have a Koss KS3161 5.1 home entertainment system I just purchased. Is there a reason why my subwoofer does not admit sound?
I took the last unit back, and got another unit, but STILL the subwoofer does not make any sound. And YES it is plugged in.
Thanks.....STeve

Username: Thestylist24

Mascouche, Quebec Canada

I have a KS4380-2 Since 1 year and 7 months for christmas. Video output stopped June 6 2006
(06/06/06)(weird isnt it?)so no more DVDs for me.
And just today I turned it on and only my 3 main speakers were working!!!I reseted my DVD with the little reset button in the back, and now the sound works fine. Its hooked on my PC, apart from that no problems but from what i read, its gonna die soon. My dad ''gave me'' 2000 air miles so i chose this KOSS home theater, not good choice. Oh and sometimes if I unplug the power cord and replug it, it wont power on for like 5 mins.

If you dont want headphones, DON'T buy KOSS sh!t.

Username: Robin_mac

YES BUT DID THE DVD COME BACK TO LIFE?I HAVE THE SAME SYSTEM AND IT NEVER WORKED RIGHT FROM THE FIRST.THE DISPLAY SAYS WRONG REGION NO MATTER WHAT DVD I TRY.ANY IDEAS?PLAYS CDS NO PROBLEM,SURROUND WORKS OK,NO BLOWN SPEAKERS OR FAN NOISES YET!!

Username: Thestylist24

Mascouche, Quebec Canada

nope. Just stopped sending images...I tried different wires never worked.

Koss really chould only stick with headphones.

Username: Africantrotter

I have to say that i bought the Koss K3102 units back in December 2003 travelled all the way back to Nairobi, Kenya (East Africa). Bought a power converter unit and it worked fine for about 6 months. The cracking noise started up and a week later the sound system died. After contacting support for a solution, i tried to get the local experts to resolve the problem with no luck. Since then, i can only use the Tuner and get sound off the headphone and amplify it through another amp. I use it to play audio CD's and Tuner. Am now looking for a good receiver, maybe i can use the optical out option to play DVD's and make use of whatever lifetime is left of the unit.

Username: Luckeymom

I've had a Koss Home entertainment system for I dunno five years? It's worked great except when we moved something happened to my subwoffer (or maybe it's quality) but other than that it's been great. I'm sorry you all had such a bad experience with yours. I was just looking for a manual cuz mine got lost and I need to know how to program something. Best of luck in finding something better :-)

Username: Pixi

Hi does anyone know how to reset settings in Koss Ks 3161 as i have pressed PSCAN button accidently and now there is no video signal on component and composite.

Username: Bmorris79

I have a KOSS XJ80 Micro CD player that I have had for years now, still works great, no problems with this player. I somehow lost the users manual to this player and wondered if anyone knew how a person could get a users manual for a KOSS CD player, especially now that KOSS Electronics is no longer in business?

Username: Dontbuykoss

Re: KOSS XJ80 manual. I'd leave a message here in addition to this message board.
http://audio.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/koss/koss_xj80_xj80.html

Username: Soundsonic

I bought a 4190 in early 2005, and it's now December 2012. I have not used the disc portion for about 3 years because I bought a Blu ray player and feed it into the audio in the back of the 4190. The fan has always made noise for the first 3 minutes or so and then quiets down. I always wondered when that would need replacement but it never has. I did play a DVD through it a couple of years ago to see if it would still work and it did. It was a floor model at BestBuy. All of the speakers still work. I guess I got one of the better ones. I also send the desktop computer sound into it and all of the Xbox/Nintendo and Wii consoles. I'm not trying to say that Koss is a great machine, but only that good examples do exist.

Dave H
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us