Lip Sync Delay with HD - Best Receiver

Username: Raks

Post Number: 4
As per the research I did over the NET about Lip Sync Problems with HD, I am assuming it is a very needed feature in the receiver. With this , my options for my Home Theater system Receiver( Polk R50s and Polk CSi3 ) are:

1. HK AVR 635 - Lip Sync Delay approx upto 90 milli secs (actually AVR 630 model spec)

2. Marantz SR-5500 - Lip Sync delay approx upto 240 Milli Secs

Can anyone let me know what is the maximum Lip Sync delay that we should be taking care of using a receiver's "Lip Sync Delay" feature ? Once this is decided, my options will be clear.

Please let me know

PS: I have taken out Marantz SR-8400 from my options bcoz it does not have Lip Synch Delay feature

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1878
I think you need to take your receiver search in a different direction.

There are many features and capabilities to consider when trying to decide which receiver is best for you, and the one you singled out, isnt one of them.

I believe you're overly concerned about something you shouldnt, and you need to take a different direction in your search. You need to look at the many features and abilities of each receiver and decide which is best fits your needs based on those merits of those varied functions.

Post Number: 10
Paul,

Thanks for letting me know your opinion and guiding me for taking other factors that need to be considered for a receiver. I appreciate that.

But I have been doing this receiver research for more than 6 weeks now with my budget and features of the receiver like Music Perf, Power output with 5 channels driven simultaneously with SACD / DVD-A, 7.1 channel pre-outs for future amplifier (NAD/ROTEL) hook-up, Digital ins and outs, Variable cross over frequencies for bass deflection to Sub-woofer, etc under consderation. After that I have come to the point where I had Marantz SR-8400, SR-5500 and HK AVR 635 as the main contenders.

The major scenario in HD is Lip Sync is an issue. If that is not to be taken into consideration, Marantz SR-8400 is the clear cut winner. But if I need to address Lip Sync, I have HK AVR 635 and Marantz SR-5500 as my options. I know that HK 635 is better than Marantz SR-5500 on sonic charcteristics. But at the same time I will be defeating the purpose if 80 milli secs delay of HK is not enough. It is at that point I started posting these questions.

Thanks

PS: I know I will love to have a NAD/ROTEL Receiver for the music I want to listen to. NAD and ROTEL do not offer a 7.1 channel receiver in my budget. Also I can not watch an out of sync audio video home theater as NAD does not offer any Lip Sync Delay

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 563
like paul said, you are worrying about the wrong stuff. i dont think people choose recievers based on lipsync delay. if you buy a cheap @$$ HDTV then yes you may get delay, but things have changed in the largescreen tv tech. if you cant give up this obsession about delay, buy a plasma screen or lcd screen tv. then move on with your life and buy the rest of you gear.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Christopher,

I appreciate you for conveying your thought process. But from your post it is very clear that you have only one side of the story on Lip Sync.

Lip Sync is contributed by multiple sources..not just a Cheap @$$ HDTV...but also by your HD Channel Broadcaster himself. Your DVD authoring company can add it too. For that matter, any place in your equipment that does lots of Video processing. With HDTV it is going to go up only.

Christopher..you can buy a very very expesive $X0,000 HDTV. But if your HD Content broadcaster puts in a A/V delay in the signal, you can not do anything other than slowing down the audio signal by using Lip Synch.

As I said earlier...I did my part of research about Receiver Features already before choosing my options. In the final round of elimination, I am using the Lip Synch criteria. I hope you understand where I am coming from.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 564
well i havent seen any delay problems so for me atleast it is not something i concern myself with. but if the facts are out there that it can happen then i guess you have every right to consider it. i hope you are happy with your choice though, any one of those would be awesome for a HT system. what speakers you using with them?

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1883
Coming from individuals who have practical experience in dealing with HD and HDTV, we're only trying answer your question. We're trying to tell you that you're barking up the wrong tree with your lipsync obsession.

If you wish still wish to choose a receiver based on a feature of little importance and overlook those that mean something, go right on ahead.

Bronze Member
Username: Fnegroni

Berkshire United Kingdom

Post Number: 11
I have asnwered in another thread to your lip-sync question.
You are right!
It is an issue, and not only in HD, and especially in high end TV sets.
The more digital picture processing the more the audio delay (progressive scanning comes to mind)
Yamaha has audio lip-sync delay facilities too.
I opted for a stand alone digital audio delay device, the Felston 540DD. It is extremely well built, and allows you to configure the delay between 1ms and 650ms, with 1ms increase. It has 6 preset memorys you can store as favourites, and two inputs and two outputs, so it can act as a coax/optical digital converter and demultiplexer.
If you opt for a built in option in your receiver, I recommend you get at least 160ms delay capability.

Anonymous

Yeah, I was watching the original Grudge in HD the other day and the lip-sync was way off.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Paul & Christopher,

I appreciate input from experienced audioholics like you. That is why I posted this question on this forum to start with. Please dont get me wrong. I just wanted ot to be a good discusion. As always, I realy really appreciate your feedback for the questions.

Raks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Filippo,

Good to hear about Felston 540DD. I have a few questions regarding this. How did you connect:

1. HD Bradcast feed to your TV & Reciever

2. DVD feed to Reciever & TV

Basicaly I would like to know where this Felston 540DD fits in ? What type of input and output connections are there on Felston for slowng down the audio.

Thanks

Raks

PS: I am assuming your DVD and HD Broadcast feed are connected to Feston and then the output from Felston is connected to your reciever.

Anonymous

Lipsync probles are really bad on the most expensive HD sets. Take the Qualia 006 at $13,000 for example. Up to 200mS video delay due to the hugh amount of video processing.

Bronze Member
Username: Mystro

Post Number: 55
I run my Harmon Kardon AVR7300 with a 80mil-sec delay with my 61" Samsung 1080p.

Bronze Member
Username: Mystro

Post Number: 56
Oh and buy the way....Get the HK. You will have everthing you will ever need.

Username: Groundhog

Downpatrick,N.Ireland

Post Number: 5
Is it only HDTV that is subject to lip-sync problems?My 32" Mitsubishi has problems with SKY Digital sources,but NOT with DVD.The TV is NOT HD.

vidkid
Unregistered guest
If this changes with each channel... do you have to tweek the delay for each channel?....this would suck!! Maybe a call to the right tech. at your local cable company would help. let them know the problem... see if you notice it on your neibors hdtv.... If it changes with the channel it must be on there end. you could hook up a small tube tv to the composite video and see if it is still delayed....if it is ok then it is in your cable tuners HD output.....if one 1080i is delayed and another 1080i is not I don't think the HD display is to blame...The HD tuners output may need calibrated?? don't know but I have seen this on Directv HD only on one channel... it is very annoying!!!!

j reed
Unregistered guest
Contrary to the experts Paul and Christopher, audio/video sync is a very real and annoying problem and you are right to consider it as an important feature in your receiver. Many people who have invested thousands in home theaters have seen this problem which hardly makes it a "feature of little importance". Until the broadcast and electronics industries develop standards for solving this issue (and they are working on it as we speak) you may be forced to insert delays in the audio stream. You will likely have to adjust the delay as you move between shows and stations - delays are not consistent.

Good luck.

Tony BOLOGNY
Unregistered guest
This is a REAL problem - I brought it to the attention fo CircuitCity after I purchased a high-end Hitachi Plasma - CircuitCity is the largest electronics retailer in the US, and they were shocked to discover that this is a real problem after they ran a few tests in their store - I think I'm going to buy Felston DD540 - glad I finally found a solution to this very annoying problem - FYI, this problem is worse on DVDs for me and I have a good sized DVD collection - I was excited to finally watch my DVDs on a widescreen and then I ran into this problem - what a dissapointment

harris p
Unregistered guest
Before you buy a Felston try routing both video AND audio from all devices (DVD & sat / cable) through your TV - that did the trick for me. When I originally ran both video and audio through my receiver (and used my TV as a monitor only) the sync was way off. When I re-cabled both audio and video through the TV (and then the audio out to the receiver), the sync was perfect. I can only guess that the TV (I have a Hitachi DLP) understands the video processing delay it is introducing and it compensates by delaying the audio as well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us