Need Advice for Fixing SW Hum

Username: Putz1161

Seaside, CA USA

Post Number: 1
Hya Folks. First a little background. I just moved into a new place. Prior to the move, I carefully mapped out all my wiring details so I wouldn't have any headaches when I set up my theater again. I have Sony STR-K840P Receiver with a standard 5.1 setup including 100 watt sub. The sub is the problem. It hums. Badly. I've reconnected everything according to my map (which was double and triple checked, BTW). I've checked to make sure that the audio cable to the sub is not near any of the power cords or my cable line. Lastly, the sub itself is far enough away from any other components that I can't see that being the problem. I'm out of ideas. Anybody have a suggestion or two of what I should look at next? I'm sure it's probably some simple detail that I've just overlooked but I may be too close to the problem to see it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Pat A.

Anonymous

Try running the Sub's power cord to another electrical outlet. Try it temporarily with an extention cord. Moreover, you may want to try a line conditioner for the electrical outlet.

Mr. V
Unregistered guest
Sounds like a ground loop problem.

Here's a link I found when solving a ground loop hum on my stereo, after I moved:

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/

Easiest, cheapest fix: try floating the ground with a cheater plug.

Try just the sub first (assuming it is powered separately); if necessary, use a cheater for all components.

Previously, I had an electrician run separate dedicated power lines to my systems (stereo and home theater), each having its own circuit breaker at the panel, each having its own copper grounding rod.

Of course, I am fanatical and have high end stuff, so it is worth the fuss to me.

Username: Putz1161

Seaside, CA USA

Post Number: 2
OK. Problem fixed. Source? I'm an idiot! It definately pays to QUADRUPLE check the wiring map. In my defense, access to the connections in my installation is kind of tight and I had to do a lot of my troubleshooting through touch and memory. The bottom line is I had the sub connected to the Monitor jack instead of the sub-woofer out. Fortunately, no harm done except to my pride. I'll get over it. Just the same, thanks for the input guys.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us