All Audio clicks off on Sony STR-DE345 after short time

Username: Jimmyneon

Kington, WA USA

Post Number: 2
My Sony STR-DE345 5.1 tuner has been cutting out completely after working a few min. to an hour. I put it away for a year and just got it out again and hooked it to small, cheap speakers this time, so far, it works. QUESTION: can the wrong impedence cause a complete loss of audio? Why wouldn't a 'standard' 1973 12" JBL 2-way work with this tuner? Or my Acoustats? Thanks.

Someoldtechnician
Unregistered guest
Might be broken solder, or failing to be solved by new soldering, bad end stage transistors.
This might happen with a long time use, no less than 2 years for soldering, and for the transistors if they aren't stressed too much at least 5 years.
It could be protection but I doubt it.

Anonymous

always use protection.

Bronze Member
Username: Turnkey

Roseville, CA United States

Post Number: 14
Does the sound come back on after awhile or must you turn the unit off and then back on?? If it comes on by itself after some time then cuts off again then you might have a speaker line circuit breaker cycling due to shorted wire or bad speaker (you said cheap) If you have to turn it off and wait for it to cool down before it works then you have final stage amp problems like the other gent said. In any case it won't cost to much to fix. I had a NAD with a bad final repaired for $40

Username: Jimmyneon

Kington, WA USA

Post Number: 4
Thank you Jesse and SameOld. I bought this unit at one of those overstock stores and it worked till just after it's warrenty (6 mos). All channels may work for a bit but then all but 2 shut down - the remaining (front) speakers emit a far-off, distorted sound. Cool down does no good - it doesn't work 98% of the time and I've about given up on this nearly-new Sony. Now I use 2 25 year old receivers and a computer speaker to add up to 5 channels for my DVD's - it works but it sure does take up space!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us