Air Conditioning for Garage Home Theatre??

Username: Dapercy

Post Number: 6
I have an unused 3rd car bay and my garage is insulated. I'm thinking about setting up a front projection system in that area. My only concern is no AC in the garage and no window to install a window AC unit. Has anyone had any experience doing this. It seems like I have 3 options:

1) Have contractors come out and cut hole in my wall for a window mount AC unit. These units are cheap <$400 but cost of installation seems large. Are these units loud/unreliable?

2) By a portable AC unit such as "Sunpentown WA1400E 14000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner" and run ducting to my vents already in the garage. Can get one of these for <$700 and no contractors needed. Once again are these loud/unreliable.

3) Purchase a mini split AC unit but these are >$1500 and is probably overkill for what I'm looking for.

Any opinions?

Bronze Member
Username: Adstark

MPLS, MN

Post Number: 14
put a fan in the room and sweat it out. this it the ulta-economical $10.00 option, then you have a budget of 390.00 or more for other stuff!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4323

If it's an attached garage, make the space closest to the house your theater and have a contractor run a vent to the garage from the main AC. If you can afford a projector, this is too much money?!

Username: Dapercy

Post Number: 7
A Stark - I forgot to mention I live in Phoenix. A fan won't cut it.

Unregistered guest
DAP,
I have a attic room that has been converted but is still warm. I am considering a portable 10,000 BTU air conditioner ($499 at home depot- cheaper on the web). It seems that you don't need a 10,000 BTU. 8,000 BTU should suffice- cheaper! Otherwise, cutting a hole in the garage wall is actually not a big job. The A/C will be cheaper. Even if you contract it out, it would be cheap.

Username: Austen

Post Number: 5
Just my two-bobs worth, Living in Adelaide, Australia I too know what heat is !!

Do it properly and buy a small split system, then you'll have all the cooling you want, and just a small fan noise in the garage.

With your comments about the noise from a wall-RAC and the lack of performance of a fan, I suspect you're already thinking along these lines ???

While I'm sure you can pay less than $1500 for a mini-split, if you don't, are you going to regret not spending the money when you are sweating because you have a $10 fan or you have turned the $500 wall-mounted off because you couldn't stand the noise ???

Austen.

Username: Em69

Post Number: 10
Window units tend to be noisy. If you are going to spend money to cut a hole in the wall, then you might as well do it right.

Jan's idea is a good one...as long as your A/C unit and ductwork can accommodate the additional square footage.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us