OK, guys, where are the hdmi receivers?

Username: Olzab2

Post Number: 1
Hi all, bet you know the answer to this one--

I'm getting a plasma screen and a dvd player and a receiver. Also getting the DirecTV HD Tivo DVR with HD satellite decoding as well as broadcast HD decoding and SD as well.

I want to connect them all with hdmi, because of the ease of using one cable (ok, 2 to and one from the receiver), each way for the run that goes 25 feet each way from where the receiver lives to where the TV and satellite receiver reside. Yes, I have reasons for wanting the receiver to be that far away, due to remote control accessibility issues.

So, where can I get a receiver that uses and switches the hdmi video and audio from two sources (satellite and DVD), and sends the result to the display? Are the only choices the Panasonic that only accepts one hdmi input, or the Denons that have it, starting at over $3500?

What with all the video souces out there offering hdmi output, I'd think there sure ought to be a resonably capable receiver out there that accepts and switches multiple hdmi signals?

Should I just get the Panny and a Gefen hdmi switch?

No? Should I be asking this in another forum?

Thanks!!!

Bret

Silver Member
Username: Daedilus

Post Number: 144
Nope, not yet, The Hdmi throughputs on receivers will be next years thing on upper end brands.

Expect to see it on Denons lower priced receivers starting around Jan 2006.

Till then its the Denon 4806 or bust, as its the only multiple input HDMI receiver out there that also does video conversion through it.

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/AVR-3805%20Final.pdf

Hdmi is over-rated anyway, but whatever floats yer boat.

with regard to your remote control problem, had you considered a Home Theater Master MX-850 / RF-250 unit? radio frequency totally programable macroable learnable remote. Range 100 feet.

http://www.universalremote.com/products/index.php?item=mx850

Username: Olzab2

Post Number: 2
Thanks, Michael,

>>Hdmi is over-rated anyway, but whatever floats yer boat.

So what, in your opinion, is the best way to connect these items, and the best $500-ish receiver to do it thru, assuming the display has to be at least 25' of cable run from the receiver and/or the satellite and DVD? I could put the sat. and the DVD with the receiver, but couldn't put the receiver near the display, cable-run-wise.

I had gotten the impression that keeping the signal digital all the way was the best method for maintaining signal integrity over distance, and that hdmi was the way to go to do that.

Also, are there IR repeaters/extenders to improve reception of my HTM MX-500? I seem to remember hearing of those, but not sure what keywords to search for.

Input from anyone on these subjects appreciated.

Thanks,
Bret

Silver Member

Post Number: 146
Actually, since the signal levels associated with Digital signals are so weak, (15 milivolt range), they are the hardest to transmit over extended distances; fiber optic excepted.

Your best bet would be to use a receiver with high quality D/A video converters and run the longer analog cable to your monitor. Those voltages are much higher, in the 1.2 volt range, and as such are much less susceptable to degredation over a longer run. I recommend using a Denon 1905 ($500), running high quality component video cables to the receiver and then yout to your monitor.

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/AVR1905.pdf

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-detailsInactive.asp?Edp No=1178059

The MX-500 is a fine remote, but unfortunately its not RF capable its one model too low, this appears on the RF-600.

Without understanding the room specifics, I cant really know what about your room limits the range of your remote, if it is a line of sight issue there are base IR repeater sets available from the Xantech corporation.

these IR eyes can be hooked up by splicing onto a multi-conductor wire (like cat 3 or 5) and run over longer distances to its ir repater module located in the receivers cabinet, then distributed to each peice of equipment via a small ir emitter with a sticky back that places over the receiving eye of each piece.

Models: 789-44, 490-00, and 282M

www.xantech.com then link to products.

Silver Member

Post Number: 147
Subnote to above post, I noticed you mentioned you were getting a plasma, the IR radiation from plasma screens can interfere with IR receiver eyes, so i recommend either mounting the eye in a spot sheltered from the plasmas emitions OR getting the 490-90 Plasma friendly Ir receiver eye.

Username: Pinbyte

Post Number: 7
My 12 year old A/V (used for A only) just died.
Where is an HDMI receiver to replace it?
There is none (that I would buy).
HDMI, take it or leave it?

I am, already invested in HDMI DLP and DVD.
Still, after extensive research, my conclusion is... WAIT... if you can.

I am expecting HDMI to be the next USB 1.1 (but not 2.0) for A/V. But I am the guy who bought into VLB instead of PCI and is still running 98SE. GIVE ME OPTIONS!!!

P.S. Never had a Betamax
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us