HDMI / Audio Queation

Username: Royevans

Post Number: 2
All,

I apologize if this has been covered before...

I have a new HD set-top box from my cable company, with HDMI out (among many others). My HDTV has HDMI in, but of course I want to run sound thru my receiver / surround sound setup (which does NOT have HDMI capability).

My receiver does have all other inputs (optical, etc) and my Cable box has optical OR digital audio out. What is the best setup to use here? If I send HDMI to the TV, can I also do audio out to the reciver? If so, what is the best type of connection? Thanks!!

Silver Member
Username: Daedilus

Post Number: 127
It depends... some cable boxes disable all other digital outs when a HDMI is plugged in, others dont.

If yours doesnt run HDMI into your tv, and optical aaudio into your receiver.

If it does run Component video into your receivers video switching, (provided it has component video switching), and optical audio into your receiver.

Me, personaly, i would hook up component video over HDMI video just to be able to use my reveivers video switching, much less annoying.

Username: Royevans

Post Number: 5
Thanks very much Michael. Do you know, would it be better to run component directly into the TV and optical audio into the receiver - or ALL to the receiver. I have an older receiver without component inputs and would avoid getting a new one if there wasn't a sync problem. Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Daedilus

Post Number: 135
Yes, if your receiver doesnt provide for them you will have to run them directly to the tv's inputs.

And also yes, your optical input should still goto your receiver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us