Question on "built in" HT cabinets and TV screen size

Bronze Member
Username: Griffin_andrews

Post Number: 13
All,
I'm assembling my HT equipment while my basement is being built out. The area where a fireplace could go is approximately 8 feet tall, 50 inches wide and 25 inches deep.

I'm thinking about sheetrocking this area and putting together a simple / hand made MDF cabinet to support the TV and hold the AV equipment(receiver, DVD, Sat Rec, PS2, etc).

My question is - If I want to stay with a 42 to 47 inch monitor...what is the optimum height off the floor the cabinet height should go? I'm thinking 2 feet so that the mid line of the TV screen is approximately the viewer's eye line.

I've got 38 inch R/L towers and would build in an area above the set for the center.

Am I wrong here? Your ideas - suggestions GREATLY appreciated!

Griff

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4084

How high you can place the center of the screen depends on the TV type. A rear projection TV or a rear projection DLP will have decent brightness with the center line slightly above eye level. An LCD or plasma will have decent brightness at a much steeper angle. The best thing to do is pick out the TV and then simply look at the set from different angles before having the cabinet constructed.

Depending on your carpentry skills, you can also raise the TV higher but tilt it slightly forward to bring the viewing angle in line with your seating area. Most mounting brackets for LCD's and plasmas allow for this tilt. Obviously you don't want to make the cabinet top heavy if it is not attached to the wall. Flattened kitty is not good.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1244
Griffin,
I'd try to avoid the 'built-in' TV at all costs. In a few years, if you decide you want something bigger, or simply need to replace your tv, it will be a lot more difficult if you're restricted because of hole measurements.

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 320
No I don't think so Paul keep dreaming!!!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us