How to hook analog cable to reciever??

Username: Reweey

Gulfport, MS Us

Post Number: 1
I have analog cable hooked directly into my TV - it works fine but how can I run it through my receiver? I am upgrading to a projector soon so I need something to convert the cable into a useable video feed to run through my receiver into the projector and the audio into my speakers. Also I will need something to flip through the channels. I thought this was called a "cable box" but my searches have been fruitless.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1199
Andrew,
With your current setup(analog/no cablebox), you'll need to run audio-out from the TV into your receiver. If your TV doesnt have outputs, you're pretty much out of luck.

When you upgrade to your projector, you'll want to upgrade to either HDcable or HDSat. Either will have a box with necessary outputs and include a remote sensor.

You'll connect the the box audio directly into your receiver via an optical or digital coax for 5.1 effects, and run video diretly into your projector via component cables. Not to mention, if you want 5 or 7.1 surround, you'll need a receiver capable of doing so.

Bronze Member
Username: Daedilus

Post Number: 60
Well, you did ask what you need to make this happen, may be a bit wish list like, but here goes a list of the equipment i would use to make this happen:

Denon 1905 receiver.
Your projector
a Hi Def cable box from your cable company.

You might notice i included a new receiver on that list, since i have no idea what receiver you are currently using, it's purely fanciful, but i suspect it may do some stuff you need which you dont currently have.

the new receiver will allow you to hook to it a vcr, dvd, hi def cable box, and any other component you buy and use video conversion to send it all out of one output to the Projector... everything from hi def to progressive scan to composite from your grandma's old winding crank vcr.

hense you would only need to run one cable to the projector.

It also provided plenty of digital ins and out which are assignable, meaning you can hook multiple digital formats to your receiver for DTS sounds, like 5.1 hi def or 5.1 dvd's or even full 6 channel stereo since its a true 6 channel amp.

The beauty of it all is, once you turn your equipment on, you need only change the input of your receiver to see or hear any source... Dvd, Tv, Vcr, etc.

Just my 2 cents on how i would hook up that system.

Username: Reweey

Miami, FL Us

Post Number: 2
thanks...I got a cable box on the way that hopefully will work. I already have a good receiver (Sony STR-DE897) but thanks for the input.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us