Get the most of my amp

Username: Xk_go

Belgium

Post Number: 1
It's my first topic here, so greetings to everybody.

I've just bought a new A/V amp, a Yamaha RX-V540RDS. It comes with a relatively poor set of speakers, NS-P240.
I have 2 B&W DM305 (from my previous stereo system) which I use for the L/R front channels.
The 2 B&W's (front L/R) are 8 ohm, and the 3 Yamaha's (front center, rear L/R) are 6 ohm.
There a swith on my amp to select impedance.
From the manual :

Switch..................Speaker....................Impedance level
position
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------
Left....................Main.......................If you use one/two set(s) of main speakers, the impedance of
...................................................each speaker must be 4 ohm/8 ohm or higher.

........................Center,....................The impedance of each speaker must be 6 ohm or higher.
........................Rear Center,
........................Rear
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------
Right...................Main ......................If you use one/two set(s) of main speakers, the impedance of
...................................................each speaker must be 8 ohm/16 ohm or higher.

........................Center,....................The impedance of each speaker must be 8 ohm or higher.
........................Rear Center,
........................Rear

So I swithed it to the left.

Because I'm not very satisfied with my center speaker (which sound really bad compared to the B&W's), I ordered an LCR3 B&W center (8 ohm) which I'll get this week.

Now there are my questions (sorry for this long story) :
- Do I get the best of my amp by letting the switch to the left ? Will the sound be better or louder (or the both) by switching to the right ?
- If I switch it to the right, all my speakers must be 8 ohm, but the 2 rear one's are 6 ohm. Won't I stress my amp ? I have 2 spare speakers (the ones I replaced with the DM305's), if I cable them in series with the 2 others, I'll get 2 12 ohm speakers for the rear. With this configuration, I think I can put the swith to the right.

In your opinion, what is the best configuration ?

Thanks a lot for your advices

Bronze Member
Username: Daedilus

Post Number: 51
You will achieve less THD and increased response and sensitivity form the amp by leaving it in the 8 ohm mode. (to the right).

The downside is that you will be overdriving your amp by running 3 6 ohm speakers on it... Depending on how long and how loud you play your amp this will shorten its life.

One option is to replace your cent/surround with 8 ohm speakers.

There are some impedance matching volume controls and speaker selector boxes on the market, where you could power the 6 ohm speakers through them and still show an 8 ohm load to the amp, but in the long run i think you would just do better to change out the speakers as you can.

Belgium

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your advices Michael.
So i'll try to set my amp to 8 ohm.
The center speaker won't be a problem anymore since I'll get the B&W this week (which is 8 ohm).
For the surround, is my idea to couple in series my 4 6 ohm yamaha speakers into 2 "virtual" 12 ohm speakers good ? With this configuration, I could switch my amp safely to 8 ohm.

Bronze Member
Username: Daedilus

Post Number: 53
Your going to have a hard time balancing the sound if you run 2 pairs of speakers in series, but it will work.

You might want to consider a cheap pair of hold me over surrounds... or if you could swing 50 bucks I saw a set of Athena SR 5's on Ebay, buy me now price 49.99.

I bought a full system for my Niece for Christmas and was really impressed with the sound produced by the Athenas for the price.

Belgium

Post Number: 3
I've installed the LCR3 yesterday.
For the surround, I've tried 2 x 2 little Yamaha in series. I've switched the amp to 8 ohm.
So, I'm quite satisfied with my HT ('quite' because my previous system (stereo) was a Denon, and the sound was really pure and present).
Later, I guess I will buy some good surround speakers.

Thank you for your advices Michael
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us