Newbie needs help planning home theatre

Username: Craigg

Post Number: 1
Hi Everyone,

We're remodeling our family room and I'd like to setup a home theatre environment. I'm planning to hang a 42" plasma above our fireplace. The fireplace wall consists of built in shelves & cabinets so the plan is to house the electronic components in the cabinets and place small speakers around the tv.

The plasma I'm looking at is the Panasonic TH42PWD7UY. This is an ED model that has no built in speakers or tuner. It is much cheaper than similar 42" models b/c of this but the picture quality is really great and tech support at Panasonic told me it's actually better than the 42" ED models you currently find at Circuit City or Best Buy.

I also have a DVR I use in this room from Dish Network satellite and a progressive scan single DVD player.

My confusion is trying to figure out what home theatre package to go with. I've been looking at the Onkyo HT S580 and the Yamaha YHT160. Both of these systems are relatively inexpensive, have decent receivers and small speakers.

The problem I'm having is with connections. The best video connection my Dish offers is S video. Neither of the home theatre systems I'm looking at has S video. So I'd have to connect the Dish receiver to the plasma using S video while the audio goes through the home theatre receiver.

These are my questions:
1. Will the video & audio timing be off (i.e. lip synching look) if I go with Dish receiver to plasma for video? Dish network and Radio shack don't seem to think this will be a problem but someone at Best Buy thought it might be.

2. Which home theatre system is better between the Onkyo HT S580 & the Yamaha YHT160?

3. I can spend $500 to upgrade my satellite receiver to one that has a DVR and is HD ready. This would eliminate the need to use S video connections between the satellite receiver and plasma and give me better quality. Given I'm going with an ED tv, does it make sense to spend $500 on this?

4. Is the Sharper image wireless speaker that can go outside any good?

Thanks!
Craig

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1151
Tough call greg....

It's really up for you to decide. If you simply upgrade your satbox to a newer model, it should 'at least' have component hookups for video.

Im not that familiar with ED plasmas, and couldnt tell you if the upgrade to HD-satbox would be worth the added expense.

IMO....I'd go HDTV, and forget about the ED altogether.

Username: Daedilus

Craig,

First and foremost I would reconsider your use of the plasma monitor unless you are a guru at using multiple remote controls.

Buy a less expensive off brand plasma TV for the same price with integrated tuner functions and a remote control that has had discrete commands written for it.

Secondly, You Either need to upgrade your satellite to High Definition or do away with the idea of getting a plasma.

When you send a 480i picture to a plasma and stretch it to fit it's 16x9 aspect ratio, the noise and grain in the picture is enhanced, just like blowing up a photograph. Because of the plasma's extreme ability to show minute detail, this grain becomes very pronounced and noticeable.

With regard to your choice of theater systems, I recommend putting a little more money into this end. Neither of the systems you have mentioned have the capability for component video switching or video conversion. Both of these are extremely handy in simplifying the operation of the system so that the entire family can work it.

The bottom line is ending up with a great looking and sounding system that the whole family can operate. I recommend these components:

SONY KDE-42XS955 $2100.00 (remanufactured)
DENON 1905 AV receiver $500.00
DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY Pro monitor 80 $345.00 (X2)
DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY Pro Center 100 $200.00
DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY Pro Sub 100 $350.00
HTM MX-850 & RF-250 Remote $400

Ouch... Yes, I know your saying, "Gee, by the time i upgrade my sat box to HD I've spent almost 3900 bucks!"

True, but here is why you are doing it.

The Denon receiver is the hub of the system, it gives you the niceties of video conversion.

Meaning, no matter what kind of video you send it, composite from the camcorder, s-video from the vcr, hi-def from the sat box, it turns it all into component video format and shoots it all out of one output to the tv.

It also offers a plenty of component video inputs, 3... meaning you can watch hi-def from your sat and progressive scan from your dvd without switching inputs on the tv or paying for a second component video input on your tv.

Now, the final aspect of the system that draws all points together, literally at your fingertips. The Remote.

By the time you run 3 different kinds of inputs to 3 differnt spots on the tv, 3 different types of audio inputs to 3 different sources on the receiver you now have an electrical maze of wiring that continualy baffels brain surgens and mathematics professors on a daily basis.

The MX-850 and the associated RF-250 are the one touch answer to this problem. It's a handy little remote you can program macro'able buttons on from your PC that issue chains of commands to all the components at the touch of one button.

EG: Pick up the remote and press "power" all of the components in the system turn on...press "DVD" the tv changes inputs to the correct one, the receiver changes inputs to the correct one, the dvd begins to play... Press "Off" and all of the components turn off.

For once a system the wife can use and enjoy.

Money a problem? Hold off on the speakers awhile and buy the base components.. Oh... Shop Ebay. some very good deals can be found on factory refurbished equipment brought back from returns.

This equipment was returned, by customers for whatever reason, the company remanufactures it, offers the full new warranty, and then resells it, (often by a sub-company of their own affiliation), at online auction.

Lastly, Remember why you are buying this system in the first place. It is something you want to look at, enjoy, and give you a source of pride. Anything worth doing is worth taking the time to do right.

P.S. WHile you are remodeling be sure to run 2 conductor wire, (16 guage or higher), to each position you wish to have a speaker, and a coaxial cable, ( like your cable vision or satellite run on), to your subwoffer location.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the great feedback. The Panasonic 42" plasma monitor is being sold for under $1700. I think it will cost another $1000 to get something comparable with a tuner. Are you saying that a plasma monitor doesn't work with a universal remote?

I agree with you regarding the receiver. I didn't realize what features I would be losing with the all in one systems I was looking at.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
Most Plasma Monitors are designed for use with commercial systems in mind and frequently employ buttons to toggle between component video inputs and RGB (svga style) inputs.

In most cases the toggle button for RGB/component would not be found on a universal remote, and with a toggle instead of a discrete code (ie: input 3) button would be very hard to adapt to even a macroable remote. Hense you could end up with only partial functionality on a universal. (EG: power on off, and input toggle between a couple of inputs but not their processing modes.)

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?displayTab=O &storeId=11201&catalogId=13051&itemId=72960&catGroupId=14624&modelNo=TH-42PWD7UY &surfModel=TH-42PWD7UY

Having taken the time to pull a manual for your plasma, I see that it only processes either RGB or component and the choice must be specified in the monitors set up.

This particualr monitor it seems MAY come with 2 video cards installed, make sure it comes with the ones you want. It's default cards are composite + s-vhs on one and component / rgb on the other. However both the composite and the component video /RGB use BNC style heads, so you will require adapters to convert them to home style RCA heads or order a different card for the unit.

Without calling thier tech line i cant tell if the RGB / Component option is a one time set up in the menu or whether it requires it every time it senses a video input on that particular card. Some do, some dont. Might want to call panasonic and ask.

Specifically you want to ask their technical line whether or not the RGB or Component setting is a one time setting in a menu, and does its remote have discrete codes that can be learned onto a learning remote, or whether it's remote is TOAD (Toggle On Actuated Device), Meaning you have to press the same button multiple times issuing the same command to toggle to a desired result.

Post Number: 4
I'll call Panasonic tomorrow and ask. Thanks.

I use Dish Network so I did some research and it looks like I'll be upgrading to their DVR 942 receiver
http://www.cnet.com/Dish_Player_DVR_942/4505-6474_7-31383014.html?tag= tab

This model has HDMI connections. I don't think the Devon receiver that you suggested supports this connection. Is that a problem? If I go with the Panasonic PWD7UY I was advised to purchase an add on that would provide a DVI connection. Not sure if HDMI is also available. I'll ask Panasonic this same question - so confusing!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
The manual for the unit double for both your ED plasma (TH42PWD7UY) and the HD version (TH42PHD7UY).

A listing of available cards does have an hdmi card, but no word on whether you can use the HD card in the ED plama or not:

HDMI Terminal Board ·········TY-FB7HM

might want to have the manual when calling :

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/TH37PWD7UY.PDF

Post Number: 5
So I think I'm going to switch gears and go with the Panasonic TH-42PX50U. Still sold on the DVR 942.

Now for the receiver, it looks like I won't be able to get one that supports HDMI. So I guess I'll be connecting my DVR 942 directly to the plasma for video. This will add a little complexity to switching but I'm assuming the picture quality with HDMI over component is worth it. Do you agree?

I found the Devon 1905 receiver for sale at good prices. But when I went to Devon's website I don't see this product listed. http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/products.asp?l=2&c=13
I see the Devon AVR-785S for about the same price. Is this a newer product? Is it better than the 1905 for around the same money? The Yamaha HTR-5860 is also in this price range and seems like a good unit: http://www.epinions.com/Yamaha_HTR_5860/display_~full_specs
Which of these 3 would you go with?

Regarding speakers, what do you think of the Harman Kardon HKTS 14? http://reviews.cnet.com/Harman_Kardon_HKTS_14/4505-7868_7-30751098.html
I think I can live with 5.1 and this is a slick looking package.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
here is the product sheet on the Denon 1905:

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/AVR1905.pdf

and the 785-s is actually just a silver color 1905 :p

As to my opinion of whether a HDMI cable is worth it.

The positive virtue of the HDMI cable is that it allows the HD source to be sent to your TV in a digital format and decoded by the televisions D/A converter. One thing i have never liked is that digital audio is also sent to the tv down this same cable. (im the kind of guy who likes my peas and carrots in different little piles on the plate).

In the case of many pieces of a/v equipment, once an HDMI cable is plugged in, the equipment "assumes" you want to use its output for audio as well and automatically deactivaes all other digital output. Thus screwing you royaly in the realm of system flexibility.

I have always valued sound over picture, and always will. picture is easy, pay enough money and boom, you have uber picture.

You can spend 10 million and you can still have crappy sound, you have to work for good sound.

Because of this, the prospect of sending my digital audio out of a piece of equipment coming from a company that has spent 100's of millions researching fine D/A audio converters and matching them to their other components; to a D/A audio converter purchased from hong kong by a company like panasonic as an afterthought item on thier plasma screen tv is a little daunting.

I would always much prefer to send direct digital audio from my well selected source piece straight to the digital audio in on my well selected receiver / decoder.

I wouldnt buy a panasonic receiver or dvd player, so why would i put a panasonic in between the receiver and dvd player i would buy?

As for the quality of picture relative to the digital decoder being in the tv vs. the receiver...

Panasonic makes some very fine tv's, i really like the picture on them. The best HD picture I have ever seen was on a Panasonic DLP and thats saying alot, because i install 20,000 to 100,000 dollar systems on a weekly basis. The odd half million dollar system here and there.

That said, panasonic makes some really crappy Dvd players. Compared to more prestigious manufacturers its's night and day. This is primarily because panasonic split its divisions in the interest of profitability. the home audio video source division is still in the "mass market" mode while its television division has made leaps and bounds in firmware and chipsets.

The main thing that worries me is do they go the extra mile and design, work up and manufacture thier own new D/A converter for the Tv's?... or do they just borrow one from the already at hand mass market dvd division?

With the D/A converter from a semi/pestigous company like Denon with some legacy to live up to, you know you're getting the same D/A converer on thier $3500 top of the line DVD player.

This i can see, read about and trust. Hense i am more comfortable using that known good D/A converter and sending the processed analog signal to the TV using some high quality cables rather than using the TV's.

IN actually practice in the field using quality audio components i have generaly been unable to discern a difference in video quality between HDMI and component video out. On one occasion pixelation during motion was actually worse on HDMI.

Regarding HK speakers I have very little experience, look for somehting 8 ohms rated or higher, and listen to them in a sound room before buying. If the store doesnt think enough of them to set them up, I dont think enough of them to buy them.

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 337
SONY KDE-42XS955 $2100.00 (remanufactured)
DENON 1905 AV receiver $500.00
DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY Pro monitor 80 $345.00 (X2)
DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY Pro Center 100 $200.00
DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY Pro Sub 100 $350.00
HTM MX-850 & RF-250 Remote $400
-------------------------------------------------
I like the mismatch of front loudspeakers on the shopping list very professional, it will sound NOT!

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 436
Those are timbre matched you moron!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
I can only presume you think the Def Tech Pro 80's are mismatched to the suggested system because they are numbered 80 and not 100?

Pro Monitor 80's are an excellent match to most rooms, I only recommend pro monitor 100's when dealing with an oversized room or self-inflated client. Discriminating people who can afford them get power monitors or higher.

In this particular case I recommended the pro 80's because i was addressing a situation where the poster was looking at a "small speaker" satellite system. Thier cutoff level of 55 HZ will be well covered by the Pro Sub 100.

Post Number: 6
I just ordered the plasma, receivers & speakers.

Assuming I'm going to use component cables to connect my plasma to the Denon receiver what are all of the cables that I'll need?

I'm going to have a satellite receiver, DVD, VCR, CD player, Digital camcorder (sometimes) connected to the Denon receiver.

The VCR is old and probably won't be used much. The only connections it has are coax (in & out), white composite (in & out) for audio & yellow composite (in & out) for video. I'd like to run this through the Denon receiver if possible but I don't know if I'll be able to given the limited # of connections.

The Digital Camcorder has S video & DV (digital video?) connections.

The DVD player has component connections for video and optical digital & digital coax for audio.

The satellite receiver has:
TV1 connections:

1 HDTV digital audio/video output.

1 set of HD Component (Y Pr Pb) video outputs.

1 set RCA-type audio outputs.

1 optical digital output for Dolby Digital and PCM digital audio.

TV2 connections:

1 set RCA-type audio/video outputs.

1 stereo Agile modulated output (channels 21-69; 73-125).

I may get an iPod at some point but I'm assuming there should be enough connections on the Denon to accomodate that when/if I get an iPod.

I also purchased a set of outdoor speakers which I'm assuming only requires speaker wire.

I'm planning to purchase Monster cables once I know what I'll need.

Thanks again for all the help!

Silver Member

Post Number: 138
connect component video out from your receiver to your TV set.

Connect component video from your dvd player and Sat box into the denon receiver's dvd and tv/dbs inputs.

Connect optical audio from your Dvd and sat box into your receiver's digital optical 1(dvd) and 2tv/dbs in.

Run composite (yellow) out of vcr into your reveivers composite input labled VCR IN

Run analog audio cable (red and white) from vcrs output into denons Vcr audio in.

When you want to use your digital video camera run its s video and oudio into the front inputs on the Denon (v-aux).

when ready to run through the setup on the receiver, turn on the tv and look at component video input.

The setup menu is an onscreen one, easier to navigate through than looking at the front of the receiver.

Set speakers and sizes.

Set subwoofer mode to +Main

Set DVD and TV/DBS to auto

make sure digital inputs 1 and 2 are assigned to DVD and TV/Dbs respectively (they should be as that is their default position) if not change em.

If not using 6.1 speakers, set amps power amp assignment to Zone 2 from surround back.

(If you ever want to use zone 2 for a remote zone, say patio or bedroom or something, hook up analog (red and white) from each source to their analog inputs on the receiver as well as the digital cables you are using)

When you arrive at the station preset screen press left arrow on the remote, wait while it says searching till it says completed, then hit setup menu again to exit.

Now goto dvd and select DTS prologic to set its sound feild

Now goto tv/dbs and set either DTS pro logic or 5 channel stereo (whichever you prefer to listen to TV in)

Now goto VCR and select 5 channel stereo

Now goto Tuner and select 5 channel stereo

Now goto CD and select 5 channel stereo

Now goto V-Aux and select 5 channel stereo

Now go to DVD again. press the center select button on your remotes cursor. you will see on the face of the unit ch vol FR 0.

Use up and down cursor keys to go through and set this to +10... hit center select again to set next speaker up to +10 repeate until all speakers at +10 and SWoofer at +3

Now do the same thing on any of your sources set to 5 channel stereo

Set bass and trebel to taste using tone button on front of receiver.

Now get the popcorn.

Unregistered guest
CAN ANYONE PLEASEEEE HELP ME. I just bought a Onkyo Ht s580 and iam having a lot of trouble connecting it to my old dvd player. My old dvd player has an s-video output, 3 regular video outputs, and a coaxial output. Is it possible for it to send out full surround using a digital coaxial wire to the reciever? OR do i have to buy a new dvd player that has 5.1 audiooutput plugs

Username: Stuartjay

FRESNO, CA USA

Need some guidance.

I bought a Denon home theatre system, incl. speakers, etc. Model is dht 485 a 6.1 system.

the receiver is Denon AVR-1505/485

I have not bought the televison/monitor yet, will likely go with an LCD 32 inch.

I will hook in a DVR (Replay), a DVD, a VCR, maybe a separate CD player maybe not, and a cable decoder box COMCAST (analog service not digital yet for reasons).

My basic question is whether I am correct in planning to bring all equipment IN to the Denon receiver, and one line out to the television Monitor. Is using the Denon as the hub so to speak correct. Alot of the connections to the Denon receiver will be composite and s-video. I assume the connection from the Denon to the monitor will be composite.

Is this the correct thinking?

also, can I send video/audio signal from the Denon to my 19in computer LCD monitor Princeton so that I can watch televsion on my computer monitor. I know it can be done, but what do I need to do at the computer/monitor. I dont need a tuner as i just want the signal from the Denon receiver.

sorry if simplistic but this is new to me in some ways.

stuart
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us