Home theater speakers on a 2-G budget

Username: Quartzdesign

Post Number: 1
I have a HK AVR520 and need new speakers. I am selling off my Bose AM15 and have about $2000 to spend on upgrades. I am looking at the Aperion packages and the Axiom Audio packages. Would these be good choices?

I was considering towers for front speakers (aperion power towers) but my room is 204 square feet. Is this overkill?

Any other suggestions for a small room?

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 323
overkill...hah...no such thing! For 2 grand I would get the Axiom Epic 50 for about $1500 or Epic 60 for about $2000. An excellent match for the HK.
Don't worry about overkill, you can always turn it down to a very low volume. But all kidding aside, with such a small room, you can go with the smaller Axioms such as the M50 for the front, QS4 surrounds and the VP100 for the centers.

cheers

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the input. I do like the look of the axioms and I would probably go with bigger speakers....

Post Number: 3
I'm still debating over which Axiom or Aperion set I should buy. I just transferred $2500 to my paypal debit card account and both systems I want are almost even for the money -

an Intimus 3.1 coupled with their new Power Towers + high grade speaker wire & a pair of stands

OR the Epic 80 system without $$$ left over for the accessories

I'm trying to make an objective decision but I have run into a few stumbling blocks

1. my wife likes the design of the Axioms and they "go" with her decor better
2. stellar reviews on both products - Seems like nobody trashes these speakers.
3. Wondering if the extra $$$ I save getting Aperions is really "worth it" (hopefully I don't have any regrets about my purchase)

Ultimately I will use this system for 90% home theater and I like lots of explosions!!!

I'm gonna make a purchase on thursday so I got some soul searching to do. Any objective thoughts are much greatly appreciated.

Post Number: 6
Berny,

Just to follow-up. I did end up purchasing the Axiom set-up with the M60ti's, vp150, qs8, & EP350. It ran me $2274 with stands & 100ft spool of 12g speaker wire.

The sound is awsome! I never had a home theater experience where the sound enveloped me so completely. I actually have been listening to more music than TV because of the sound.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 425
that is great and wonderful news! I'm glad you are enjoying your set-up. Now here's another one to trip you up...get a DVD-Audio encoded with DTS...a totally new experience altogether. it will really bring out the beauty of your home theater. check out this line up, I'm sure you'll find something that will strike your fancy.

http://www.dtsentertainment.com/dvdaudio.php

the word "envelope completely" will not seem proper enough.;-)

cheers
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us