Green hue with compenent cables

Unregistered guest
Just switched to component cables from RCA. I'm only using these with DVD. I am now get all dark scenes have a green tint. TV picture via RCA is OK. I have component from DVD to Receiver back to TV.

Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 5
Pkitch, hi there check the scart connection is plugged in nice and tightly, if the problem is still happening, undo the scart on both ends, if the wire or the pin connection as come undone solder it up, this will take only a few minutes to do.

Good luck

Ash...

Bronze Member
Username: Philman

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 93
pkitch, In case you don't live across the great pond, (thus not having a clue about a scart connector) you might want to double check that your cable ends match the color indicated by the component input jack all the way from the DVD to the TV. I'll trust that you have component (R, G, B) connectors on all three.

Also you could try going from DVD to TV directly and eliminate the reciever just for kicks.

my 2¢

chesapeakegoody
Unregistered guest
I have a rear projection HDTV (55" Mit.) and JVC DVD player with component cables and I have the same green tint problem. I've checked all the connections. It is either the cable or DVD player's fault. If you figure this out, let me know!

Bronze Member
Username: Daedilus

Post Number: 49
Also make sure that your TV or monitor doesnt have a selection setting in the inputs menu that allows the component vid input to change formatts between RGB and component.

Having this switched to RGB can also cause a green picture.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 769
Pkitch, do you have a Samsung tv?

Silver Member

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 109
I'm pretty sure we're talking consumer, not industrial products here, so your DVD and TV are going to be Component Video.

All three cables and connections must be good or you can get green tint. Since Component signals are made up of Luminance, and difference signals from Red and Blue (Y, R-Y, B-Y) the green signal is derived from the combination of the three signals. (R, G, B, previous post refer to cable sleeve colors)

Component Video cables are almost always a type of COAX, if it has been pinched or severly bent it can effect the capacitance on one of the cables which has the affect of imbalancing the cable's frequency response. Hence, one signal gets attenuated causing the green tint. Sometimes, cheap cables can also do the same as they may be made of inferior materials, poor shielding, etc and not balanced between the three signals.

If you can pick up a new cable or swap with someone, you can troubleshoot through process-of-elimination.

Silver Member

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 110
Sorry Dale, we seem to be hitting the same post at the same time.

tookie7155
Unregistered guest
i had the same problem with green tint. it was the cable i replaced it and it went away

Username: Loki69

Memphis, Tn Usa

Post Number: 3
dont get upset at this comment but it happened to me very recently. after 3 days of forums searching and phone calls to manufactures. I found that my component cables were not firmly plugged into the device. (and i mean push hard.) its worth a try.
good luck

Unregistered guest
I'm having the same problem and pushing hard didn't work. tried two different cables - no luck. Problem exists with both pioneer dvd recorder and with motorola PVR. Picture is much better with RCA or s-Video cables. Any suggestions?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3857
check the integrity of your component cables.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us