Onkyo 770 Amp Protection Mode

Username: Mik_mo

Post Number: 1
I've had my Onkyo 770 for about 4 months now and had been using off brand 16 guage speaker wire. Well, I finally decided to upgrade to Monster Cable. I was hooking up the system, having it in "test tone" mode to see which wires to hook where when there was a noise from the right front surround speaker like a feedback noise. Well, the test tone went through the cycle again, but the right front's channel was dead. Then, the receiver clicked off and I noticed a puff of smoke from the near the back of the top of the receiver. Every time I tried to turn it on from that point, it would stay on a few seconds, then turn off automatically. Read the user manual, said it was the Amp Protection Mode kicking in and to contact my dealer. Any thoughts on what the problem may be?

Bronze Member
Username: Philman

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 84
Take it back to your retailer for a replacement, if possible, Speakers and Receiver. This has been a common problem and repairs apparently are not fixing the problem.

Searching elsewhere on this forum will reveal at least a dozen or more cases of this anomoly.

Post Number: 2
Well, I called Onkyo this morning and they said I should first try unplugging it for 24 hours and see if the problem persists. Bought it at Circuit City and since it's past their 30 day warranty period, they said there's nothing they could do.

Bronze Member

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 88
Wow, you've found yourself between the proverbial "rock and a hard place".

I don't do well with advice in this area since I usually tend to escalate my frustrations until I get a hold of someone with authority to handle my concerns.

Fact is, you have a bad unit, it won't get better with sleep and an aspirin, and Circuit city, policy or not, IS you retailer! (else we could all use internet, hint-hint)

Good Luck.

Point their service tech to this forum for some supporting proof that this is a real problem!

Post Number: 3
Well, the Onkyo rep did say that if the 24 hour deal didn't work, to call back and give him all my info and he would call Circuit City and he would try to get a warranty extension....said that's been done for a few Onkyo customers. That's what got me to thinking there may be a running problem.

Bronze Member

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 89
Having been an Onkyo customer for more than 15 years and 3 different models, I would of stood on a rock and preached Onkyo. But I, too, experienced the same failure. Fortunately, I was able to swap before running into the problems you're experiencing.

I'd keep pushing until you get total satisfaction. As loyal Onkyo customers, we deserve no less. I hope they wake up and fix the problem before they get to big a black eye, cause I do like their stuff.

Post Number: 4
Well, just ran into the first stumbling block. Called Onkyo again after, of course, the 24 hour wait did not help, and the representative said she knew of no way to get Circuit City to extend their warranty. So I guess the next step is to drive nearly 100 miles to my nearest service center. I will post my trials and tribulations on this issue.

Post Number: 5
Another curious note....got on the Circuit City website....I was going to give CC a piece of my mind about their return policy and their high-priced warranty protection plan. Anyway, I wrote what I had to say on the "rate a product" part of the website. When I clicked on post message, it sat for about 30 seconds, then came back saying "cannot process your message at this time, please try again later." Seems like Circuit City doesn't want any negative publicity about their products.

Post Number: 6
Well, I finally took my receiver in for repairs (under warranty) and when it came back, it's actually worse off than when I sent it! The speakers sound all muffled and the receiver cuts off at about 25-30. I am befuddled.

Silver Member

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 105
Did you take the speakers back too? Pull the grills off the front of the main speakers and see if your tweeters are melted or misshaped. Sounds as though you may have suffered the melt down as well.

Depends on the shop, but repairs are Always less desirable than a replacement. Keep calling Onkyo and keep track of your correspondance. Could be a case for a letter to the Attorney General or BBB office in your area to add a little bite to your complaints. Its amazing what "CC:Attorney General" can get you on replies.

Possibly a visit to the Circuit City store manager, armed with copies of the posts from this forum, may help to sway their thoughts on joining your cause. A good manager would make it right for you, at the very least to pass on your plight to the Onkyo rep.

Its all about who you talk to and what you have to say.

Post Number: 7
Would the type of speaker wire have anything to do with what's going on? Reason I ask is becuase of what started it all. I upgraded to Monster Cable. When I got the receiver back from repairs, as I mentioned above, it was still doing the same thing...that was with the Monster Cable hooked up to the front speakers. I had the regular 16 guage cable from Radio Shack hooked up to the back speakers. I realized the back speakers were working fine and hooked up the front with the old cable and now everything is back to normal. Help please?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us