Dolby Digital 3/2.1

Username: Mdogg777

Post Number: 2
I have 4 speakers hooked up and i get Dolby Digital 3/2.1 shouldnt it 4.1, please help!?

Unregistered guest
I have a 5.1 setup and a Sony Receiver. For some reason when it processes signals through the optical cable and the digital coaxial, I find it shows the same type of signal (3/2.1) on the machine. It seems that the signal isn't being processed correctly---even for DVD players. How do I fix this?

Username: Zulu789

Hallandale Beach, Florida USA

Post Number: 2
On the 5.1 set up the signal is being processed correctly.
3/2.1 means (3) center and 2 front speakers are being used, (2) 2 rear speakers are being used and (.1) refers to the sub being used....

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2381
Donny,

Like hertman said, the 3/2.1 just means that you are getting a 5.1 signal. If you only use 4 speakers, one of those channels is being lost. Most receivers will NOT downmix 5.1 sound into four speakers so basically you're completely losing those sounds into thin air.

Id suggest buying a center channel speaker so you can hear the entire movie soundtrack.

Anonymous

Not necessarily losing and sound material... It depends on the receiver setup. In most AVRs, if you indicate that there is no center channel, the audio for the center channel is sent to the front left+right.

If there are only 4 speakers (assuming thy are main l+r and surround l+r) and there is no subwoofer, then unless the main front speakers are large, you will not get any LFE.

Regarding the OP question regarding display, your AVR is probably displaying the incomming digital signal (5.1) as opposed to the speaker channels that are setup for output.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2417
You're wrong.....

Most receivers do NOT downmix 5.1 into 4.1 if a speaker is missing.

Get your facts straight because you dont know what you're talking about.

Username: Zulu789

Hallandale Beach, Florida USA

Post Number: 5
Sitting in the fence i kind of agree with Paul.Not with audio equipment but i experienced the diference in computer speakers ,using a 4 speakers and playing True Dolby 5.1-channel sound.Once i used the 4.1 set up and i was able to reproduce a virtual "5th" channel(central) .But does is computer sound .And those are codes embedded in the chip of the sound card. Some info if interested http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/virtual_speaker.
Personally i think you can not downmix a signal received in 5.1 to 4 speakers with clarity.Based on the fact that in 5.1 the signal (sound) is not break down in equal parts to to every speaker.Each speaker produce certain range of sound different than the other.Example in movies all the dialog comes out the front channel speaker ,the noises out of the sides and rear s for background sounds.My humble $.02 .

Gold Member

Post Number: 2430
Herman,

It's not opinion because it's fact. Thanks for helping bring light to the facts.

Anonymous

Paul is wrong... again!:- Most AVRs that are setup with no center speaker creates a phantom center (using the main L+R). Any sound that is discretely sent to the center speaker is routed to the mains via the processor. It is obvious that the cheaper models will not have this feature but some may. I checked this with my Marantz and HK receivers by playing DD 5.1 material that I'm familiar with and did not find the dialog and center channel information to be missing. Similarly if the surround speaker is set to none, the information is routed to the main speakers. Where this may not work is in the case of high-rez MC-audio where the player does not have the "ability/permission" to downmix multichannel audio.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2464
Please ignore the clueless idiot ANON because she doesnt know of what she speaks. I guess it only figures she doesnt have a center channel, but somehow considers herself an authority on HT.....LOL

classic....

shewhoknows
Unregistered guest
she does have a center channel and when the AVR is setup to use or not use the center channel, there is no loss in information from 5.1 material. This is a fact and anon' fool or not it works as stated - EOS
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us