New system under $750: Help

Unregistered guest
All the experts,

I wanted to get a new home theatre system with the budget of 700$ and discoved you can do better by making your own system rather than HTIB.

Looking at all the choices, it is really crazy! Does some of you have any recommendation for a set of speaker and a receiver, with decent quality and sleeker built, which i can get under $750. Or any nice HTIB.

Onkyo S770 has bigger speakers then I have space for.

Help please.

Thanks.

RichF
Unregistered guest
I auditioned the following:
Cambridge 108 ($450)
Energy Act 6
Infinity TSS 750 ($465)
Athena Micra 6 ($350)
Kiplsch Quintets w/ sub ($700)

All are small (in the 6"tall x 4"wide range) and picked the Athena's based on price ($205 on ebay) and bought the Pioneer 1014 for $330. I already had a DVD, but a progressive scan DVD with component outs can be had for $50. I spent $80 on cabling (16 GA speaker wire, subwoofer cable, optical cable, digital audio cable, component video cable and banana plugs).

RichF
Unregistered guest
I auditioned the following:
Cambridge 108 ($450)
Energy Act 6
Infinity TSS 750 ($465)
Athena Micra 6 ($350)
Kiplsch Quintets w/ sub ($700)

All are small (in the 6"tall x 4"wide range), but I picked the Athena's based on price ($205 on ebay) and bought the Pioneer 1014 for $330. I already had a DVD, but a progressive scan DVD with component outs can be had for $50. I spent $80 on cabling (16 GA speaker wire, subwoofer cable, optical audio cable, digital audio cable, component video cable and banana plugs).

Abs
Unregistered guest
Thanks RichF. Did you happen to compare Athena's with Harmon Kardon KS14. I heard them and they sounded pretty good. Also, do you know of a store that sells Athena, where I can check them out?

Thanks for your advise.

RichF
Unregistered guest
Best Buy, but there setup (depending on the store) is suspect. my local bb, when i went to listen, the receiver kept shutting off and the salesman was worthless. buy them online for $350 or like I did on ebay for $200.

i didn't listen to the hk. i don't push any system and i'm not an audiophile type. i would listen to a few. infinity's are at circuit city, kiplish at best buy, and the energy and cambridge have local vendors (found at their websites). let me know what u decide.

Anonymous

http://page.auctions.shopping.yahoo.com/auction/90008689?aucview=0x23
Check this panasonic DVR HDD HT system with Tall speakers for $599 as opposed $999 from C.C and dell. Post a thank you to me if you buy this

Bronze Member
Username: Virus5877

West Lafayette, Indiana USA

Post Number: 87
Go with the athena's. You may want to upgrade the sub if you plan on watching a lot of movies and really want them to BOOM. The m225 only has 75 watts, and it won't really hit the way a sub should.

as far as receivers go, I would look at a Harman Kardon. You can find their stuff at Circuit City, and at local shops. The brightness of the Athena's will be complemented with a nice warm receiver like the HK. You can find refurbished HK AVR230's at www.HarmanAudio.com for about 300 bucks.

GB
Unregistered guest
Hi
I wish to buy my first HT system, within US$500.
I have a 5yr old and our second on the way and so no tall slim speakers (which might get knocked about). Probably bookshelf speakers for better stability.
DVD player (not necessarily multidisc changer) to be included as well.
I dont want to go and buy anything (cables etc.) seperately/extra: it has to be all within the box.
Room size would be approx 10' x 20' (partitioned halfway)
Its within an apartment block and so nothing too loud.
The following systems interested me; web search, havent actually gone and listened - thats next.
* Yamaha YHT-941
* Onkyo HTs-777c
* yamaha yht -740

Another important issue is that I will be taking it to India. A multinational brand would probably be a better choice? with service in mind...

I guess I am looking for a Dummies version :-)

All comments/suggestions welcome.

thanks guys.
Sridhar
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us