My dream ht system on a 7-9,000 budget

Username: Captaindj

Post Number: 1
I need some help. I am building a new house with an 18x17 ht room. I have been listening to some equipment and reading reviews but would like some advive from the experts that aren't trying to sell me something, all of you!

Here's what I'm looking:

yamaha rxv2400 reciever $999.00
" " lpx 500 front projector $4449.00
def tech bp2006 towers/2 $599.00 each
def tech clr 2000 $499.95
def tech promonitor 100(for rears)apx $250.00
def tech prosu 100 $449.00
i still need a screen

one non def tech dealer is going to give me a price on paradigm speakers don't know what or how much.

What do you guys think? Can I do better for less or the same amount.

this is for 75% ht 25% music

I appreciate the help.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 374
Dennis:

The weakness in your proposed system is the Yamaha receiver, which is a poor match for the Def Tech speakers, IMO. Both the Yamaha and the Def Techs are somewhat bright. Individually, they are fine when paired with something more laid back, but combined, the sound will be rather bright and sibilant, which is going to lead to listener fatigue (I have been through this with one of my earlier systems, so I know how bad this can be). If you spend 10 minutes listening in the store, it will sound good, but after a couple of hours listening at home and the listener fatigue will set in.

Rather than change all of your speakers, I would merely substitute a Marantz SR7400, which has the same price as the Yamaha, yet has a much smoother sound that compliments the Def Techs nicely. If I remember correctly, it has a much better remote, too.

Now personally, I think you will do even better with Paradigm speakers driven by an NAD receiver. NAD and Paradigms are a match made in heaven, IMO. I would suggest the NAD T753 (street price ~$800) with Paradigm Studio 40s, a CC-470 center, ADP-370 rears, and the Paradigm Seismic 10 subwoofer. The price of this system should be very close to the Def Tech system and the sound will have much more depth to it--it will sound much more realistic, but will not sacrifice any detail. The NAD is a much more dynamic sounding receiver, too. Sounds more like quality separates than a receiver, as it has much better electronic parts inside than most receivers.

Check it out.

Username: Captaindj

Post Number: 2
Thanks Hawk! I appreciate your advice. Would others agree with Hawk?

I'm planning on taking a trip over to ga. to listen to some others.

Thanks again.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us