Can anyone advise on need for S-Video in/ouputs on AV receiver?

Befuddled
Unregistered guest
If I connect my DVD/VR directly to the S-Video on my TV, does it matter if I buy an HV receiver without S-video connections? I have read comments that people regretted not having S-video connectibility, but I have not been able to find out why.
Thanks very much.
I wnat to get an HTIB system and this is my final stumbling block.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 304
For technical reasons that will probably not add much to the discussion, in almost all cases, S-video represents a significant improvement over standard composite inputs/outputs. I am talking about an obvious difference-not one of those subtle, I think I can see something more detailed-differences.

Befuddled
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your response. I understand that s-video is better and thank you for reinforcinig that. But if the DVD/VCR recorder is connected directly to the TV--which I assume is the way it should still go--is there any need/use/importance for the s-video inputs/outputs on the receiver. The question arises because I am torn between the Yamaha YHT-450, which has none, and the Onkyo HT-770 which has both. I greatly appreciate your help.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 307
All things being equal, a receiver with S-video inputs and outputs gives you more connective options than one without those features. One day you might own several gadgets (as my wife loves to refer to them) with S-video outputs and unless your tv has multiple S-video inputs, you could use the receiver as a switcher. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it I always say. However, until such time as you acquire multiple devices with S-video outputs, I would run the DVD/VCR S-video output directly to the tv. Usually, the most direct path produces the best image. Hope this helps. You mention two excellent receivers. Great values for the money, in my opinion.

Username: B34

Post Number: 1
Sounds like the balance shifts from the Yamaha 450 which has no s-video inputs/outputs to the Onkyo 770? Would you agree?

This is all very helpful. Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us