Help-KS5190 feedback? problems?

Username: Prefect999

Post Number: 1
I just bought a Koss KS5190 home theater system and hooked everything up, but whenever there is a pause in audio on what I'm watching a popping sound comes from the center and front left speakers..I know literally nothing about speakers and since the noise occurs a lot it is driving me nuts...If anyone knows anything that could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Don't exactly know what the problem is. I brought the same system (Koss KS5190) and had the same problem only it got worse. There was a breif period of on and off grinding noises inside the main unit. This eventually led to a constant grinding noise. I sent the unit back, but I had to pay shipping and they shorted me $10 when I got the refund check. I wish I had two more hands so I could give Koss a four thumbs down....

Margaret B.
Unregistered guest
Well, guess what? The day before the warranty on my Koss KS5190 expired is the day that the unit started making horrible grinding noises when I turned it on. It had been making *loud* popping noises and then skipping large portions of whatever DVD was playing. Now when I turn the unit on it will not play anything, and I had to work with it for a few minutes to even get the DVD to eject. Of course, I'm screwed because the warranty expired yesterday. The unit was barely used at all, was kept on a level surface in an enclosed ent. center and was well taken care of. Probably viewed a total of 15 movies, played 3 CD's and 1 mp3. Bought it 12/22/04, it died 3/23/05. Sickening... To Keith White, the poster above: RUN RUN RUN back to the store and return this dud before its warranty expires!!!

Swami
Unregistered guest
Hey, any idea, why I'm not getting the Prologic II while playing MP3 CDs even after doing the setup properly for all the 6 speakers & the Sub.
Where as I get the Prologic II enabled for other types of CDs, VCD & DVD. Could any one help ?

Ryan Wemyss
Unregistered guest
The grinding noise is one of the two crappy cooling fans they used in these units. One of mine quit tonight and burned up my amp.

burnt out
Unregistered guest
My fantastic Koss unit decided to just make a loud pop noise. What that was, was a chip in the back near the power that litteraly blew in half. I had ash all over the ciruit board. The fans are terrible and even in good conditions and nice stereo cabinets the unit still overheats. Its a very nice unit, but i dunno, maybe install your own fans or something.

Anonymous

I had this koss ks5190 and hardly use it but all at a sudden I came to play a cd when there was literally no power. change switches but never get any power. I do not know what is the problem. On the instruction manual it explains little bit about resetting the system or replacing a power cord. Please if anyone out there is familiar with this problem, Please help me out. I dont konw what to do and my system is out of warrnaty.

Unregistered guest
I have the similar problems as all of your guys. Grinding noise from the fan, popping sound from speakers, non adjustable bass volumn. Now it completely died. And it is now 6 month old.

I asked the koss company for replacement but I am beyond the warranty of 3 months. So I am planning to complain about this product and koss service to these two websites, ftc and bbb. https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU01

http://www.bbb.org/

I hope I can get as many people with the same problem as possible to go with me so that we can get our precious money back. $150 for that piece of junk!!! And judged from their customer services, they know these problems exist well!!!!

My email address is stilllfox@hotmail.com. Email me if you want to join me to get your money back. The more people, the more likely we succeed.

Thanks,

Silver Member
Username: Daedilus

Post Number: 123
Guys.

it's 150 dollars.

wtf do you expect?

Save your money and spend more than a days pay on your audio system.

stillfox
Unregistered guest
Hey richer Machael:
There are not-so-rich students like me who consider $150 a big investment.
stillfox

Unregistered guest
my surround sounds good but the sub woofer does not seem to be working to its max potential sounds muffled like not enough juice any suggestions would be helpful

Silver Member
Username: Daedilus

Post Number: 137
Fine, then go hire a lawyer to take your case at $400 an hour to get your 150 bucks back.

If you get 64 people together in one case you should almost be able to pay the lawyers bill with the winnings...

But this gives me a good idea for an article I'll write in the HT planning session.

Username: Movieaholic

Add my name to the list of unfortunate KS5190 owner's. I just bought it a couple of months ago and now the think sounds like an airplane when it starts up. Guessin' it's the fan...Let me tell ya, though- Koss is going to get an ear full from me until they fix it.

Betsy
Unregistered guest
ah ha..... my kids (teen age, Michael, it was all they could afford!) bought me a KS5190 for Christmas.... It is so loud (grinding noise) when I turn it on that it take 10 minutes to warm up and quiet down... now the Center Speaker blew and can't find a replacement.... Oh well.... my son has no idea where he out the receipt .... At least you all validate the issues....I thought I may have hooked it up wrong!

Unregistered guest
I'm one more of the lucky KS5190 owner's. The day after my warranty expired the dvd player decided it didn't like movies anymore. And the times that you can get it to work, it skips half of it. Also my bass is terrible, I bought a 60 dollar home theater from walmart two years ago and it has a better thump than this piece of junk. Hopefully koss pulls these off the shelves because it's a warm load of crap. I feel like I just threw 150 bucks down the toliet.

Post Number: 2
I received a response from Koss finally. Here it is:
From me:
"I'm a little irritated. My husband and I bought a Koss KS5190 Digital Home Video & Audio Entertainment System at Best Buy on 03/25/05, for $179.99. On 06/28/05, 6 days past the warranty, it started making these loud whirring noises and wouldn't quit unless I turned it off and on several times. I searched online for answers to the problem and see that a lot of people have the same problem and that it appears to be a bad fan. I would like to know if anything is going to be done about this problem and how we can get our units repaired.

Heather Henthorne"

From them:
"Dear Heather,

Thank you for contacting Koss Customer Support. We are sorry to inform you that, we do not do repair or service for our products, rather we provide replacement for the entire unit. However, we provide replacement for the entire unit and recommend that the entire unit to be returned to the Consumer Service department for a non warranty replacement. If you wish to go for a non-warranty replacement please e-mail us, so that we could suggest you the procedure to get your unit replaced.

KOSS Customer Support
Marvin"

From me:
"Why is replacement only provided for our unit? Can it not be serviced, or do you mean that Koss does not service them? How much to have it replaced?

Heather Henthorne"

From them:
"Dear Heather,

Thank you for contacting Koss Customer Support. We provide replacement for the entire unit and recommend that the entire unit to be returned to the Consumer Service department for a non
Warranty replacement. We will replace the unit with a non-warranty replacement Fee of 149.99. The unit will be replaced with a comparable model.
If you wish to go for a non-warranty replacement, please e-mail, with your Name, complete physical address for UPS Services (PO Box are not accepted),contact numbers, so that we could suggest you the procedure to get your unit replaced.

KOSS Customer Support
Marvin"

From me:
"You're kidding, right? I just paid $179.99 for this one 4 months ago! Now I'm supposed to pay you again for a new one when the defect in this one was Koss' fault in the first place?! What happens when the new one goes bad? Will you replace it too for $149.99? How much is one 4 month old Koss audio/video system supposed to cost me?
Heather Henthorne"

From them:
"Dear Heather,

Thank you for contacting Koss Customer Support. We would like to inform that your unit is outside the 90-days warranty period and the only option we can give is to replace the unit at a minimal replacement cost. If you wish to go for the non-warranty replacement, please get back to us with the details mentioned in our previous mail, so that we can suggest you the procedure to get the unit replaced.

KOSS Customer Support
Ben Fraser"

From me:
"Out of warranty...no kidding. The thing broke 6 days after the warranty was up! No, I will not pay you $149.99 more to have you replace it, and NO, I will never buy a Koss product again. But, you can be assured that I, as well as everyone who has emailed me about a similar problem, will be filing a complaint.

Have a nice day.
Heather Henthorne"

From them:
"Dear Heather,

Thank you for contacting Koss Customer Support. We do understand your frustration, however we would like to inform you that we provide a free replacement warranty for 90-days plus 60 days grace period. However, your unit is even outside the 60-days grace period and the only option we can provide is to go for a paid replacement.
If you wish to go for a non-warranty replacement, please e-mail, with your Name, complete physical address for UPS services (PO Box are not accepted),contact numbers, so that we could suggest you the procedure to get your unit replaced.

Koss Service Center
11733 Missouri Bottom Road,
Hazelwood, MO 63042
Phone 1-800-726-3801

KOSS Customer Support
Ben Fraser"

From me:
"So let me just clarify this...My Home Theatre system, which started to die 6 days after the warranty was up because of a factory defect, was:

1. Under a 90 day warranty plus another miraculous 60-days, which I can't find any record of in the unit's documentation, and which no one other than Koss knows about,

2. If there had been some kind of documentation about those extra 60-days, I could have had my unit repaired under warranty instead of spending a month and a half trying to find someone who could fix it,

3. When I received your first 3 responses to my email, there was no mention of this extra 60-days; only the push for me to pay you another $149.99 for you to send me another one that is either refurbished or, if new, will probably have the same problem.

That about sums it up I believe. Are the Customer Service reps for Koss on commission? The way they were pushing to get me to give them $149.99 for a new unit, I was beginning to wonder.

Just one more thing...I could understand your response if I had bought the unit a year ago. But it was only 3 months and 6 days old. I work for an appliance and electronics repair company, filing warranty claims for our customers. I file approximately 120 to 150 claims a day for all the major manufacturers and about 40 other small ones. In the 4 years I have been filing warranty claims, I have never seen worse customer service than what I have received from Koss, and what the others with this same problem have received. You should be ashamed...

Heather Henthorne"

I apologize for the length, but that's all of it so far. For anyone else who has the fan problem that I had- you can get the fan at Radioshack for a couple of bucks and have it changed out.

Post Number: 3
For anyone who is still interested, I finally received a reply back from Koss- here it is:

"Dear Heather,

Thank you for contacting Koss Customer Support.

We have escalated the issue to the concerned department. We will send you a reply as soon as we receive information from them.

KOSS Customer Support
Marvin"

Who knows what that means, but maybe they will actually do something about it. I'll post what I get from them and I will not be happy or leave them alone until they have addressed the issue for everyone.

Unregistered guest
hmm... so ive had mine for a year, no problem, and by reading all these messages, sounds like a miracle to me.. lol.... but... is there any way you can buy replacement parts??? (remote, speakers etc.) without replacing the full unit? lets just say, a certain kid of mine got ahold of my remote, and now its in about 305234 peices.. and we all know that this system is pretty much useless, and even more useless if the remote isnt near.. lol.

thanks for any ideas possible...

Anonymous

This is an email that I sent to koss after several days of getting nowhere with their non-existent customer service, it's long irate and mostly venting. If any of you have had the same problems as I did, I feel you'll understand. I didn't receive a reply and I don't expect one.

(For those of us who have been mislead and deceived, this apparently is the only way to protest a corrupt corporation)

I just spent about a half an hour searching for the 1000 watt KS5190 that you so highly recommended. best buy, circuit city, Walmart and all the other miscellaneous online stores don't seem to carry it; I did however find this link- Help-KS5190 feedback? problems?

It appears that everyone who has bought the new and improved KS5190 has the same exact problems as I do with my KS4190. Grinding noises, playback problems, and fan malfunction. They were all advised to spend more money on an entire new system rather than being given the option of replacing the minor parts that would most likely resolve the problem. Considering that there hasn't been a product recall, or any light shed on this obviously insufficient fan system, I am not going to buy any new systems from you. The price for these products appear too good to be true, apparently they are.

One more thing that seems rather devious, you want me to return my entire system to you and pay you $150 for the same product that has an extra 400 watts, only with the same defects.

My system at the moment is still fully intact and operational, except for a $5 cooling fan. Upon receiving my old system you could open it up, blow some dust off, replace the $5 cooling fan only to turn around and sell it for half the original price at a computer/tech expo. Or depending on the level of corruption you could re-package it and sell it as new. The higher up's obviously know all this and more, they're not content with making a killing in replacement parts. Instead they're going to push they're new defective product because they know they're going to get it back in less than a year, dust it off and sell it again.

Any way's if you've read this far I just want you to know that I don't blame you (the tech guy). Company policy dictates what you can and can't do, maybe if you forward some of these emails to the general manager or VP, they can convince the president to overhaul their business ethic and understand that customer satisfaction is the only way to successfully build and expand a company unless their goal is bankruptcy. Judging from the reviews I've read they have a long uphill battle. This all could have been avoided by simply selling a legitimate product with a proper cooling system.

Unregistered guest
Anyone want any reploacement parts for the KS5190? It doesn't really play DVDs anymore, but the speakers and remote are yours if you need it...

DK
Unregistered guest
My KS5190 quit playing DVDs. It plays VCDs but the picture does not show up.

Please save your money by not buying any more Koss stuff.

Anonymous

We brought the KOSS system at Best Buy on 11/25/05, for $179.99. On 12/15/05, it started immediately making a grinding noise from the fan, it has a non adjustable bass volumn, the woofer light stays on as if the woofer never turns on. Now the sound from the speakers completely died. And it is now 2 month old. Best Buy now no longer carries the product and it's past the 30 days for a exchange... From reading these messsages in my opinion KOSS KNEW it has a defective product why else would they only give 90 days an its other products a lifetime warranty. I'm complaining to BBB...

Anonymous

I also going to the Attorney Generals Office... in Maryland there's a law implied warranty and if a product does not perform as it is implied then the Attorney Generals office will get involved if the company refuses to retify the issues... and for Michael... since it's only $150.00 why don't you give up the $150 for replacements.. and by the way I'm also and attorney and it sometimes takes it happening to the right person... KOSS will here from us..

Anonymous

Just a note - there's some confusion on the warranty. If you look at the websites:

Koss Audio & Video Electronics has a 90-day warranty on all of their electronics (audio & video). Terms of warranty read to be that you need a receipt dated within the last 90 days. Maybe they offer a grace period of an extra 60 days to allow for gift buys, etc?

Koss Corporation has a limited lifetime warranty on their headphones.

Looking further, they are 2 separate companies (seems Koss A&V licenses the name Koss from Koss Corporation).

Not discounting any of the problems people are having, just wanted to clarify what I have found on the warranties for these 2 companies. I'll keep looking and post back if I find anything else useful.

Nick Scott
Unregistered guest
This thing sucks. Mine is about 6 months old and has always had the horrible, grinding fan sound and the rear-center speaker doesn't work at all. At times when I use the system, it will play CDs and DVDs with the sound slowed down and chopped up, like its broken. I'll use it the next day and it will be fine. I just bought a new TV and the thing won't work with it. It sucks.

Anonymous

Buying a better system doesnt seem to help much. I bought a $400 system and the speakers pop a lot. I took it back with the warrenty I bought from best buy. They say I dont here any poping, and they couldnt do anything. This came for an old guy who couldnt figure out how to connect the speakers. The manager refused to show his face. So I am not thinking about sending it back to the company.

Post Number: 4
As you all know, I posted the last email response I received from Koss on 11/07/2005. I didn't receive anything else from them for 2 months, so I emailed them again for a response and here is what I got:

"Dear Heather,

Thank you for contacting Koss Customer Support.

We apologize for our delayed response. We have once again escalated the issue to the concerned department. We will send you a reply as soon as we receive information from them.

Koss Service Center
11733 Missouri Bottom Road,
Hazelwood, MO 63042
Phone 1-800-726-3801

Please feel free to contact us for further assistance.

KOSS Customer Support
Marvin"

Sure feels like the run-around to me and I am going to begin emailing them every day until the problem is rectified to my satifation. When that happens, I will finally, after choosing the best hammer to make my own repairs to the heap of garbage that Koss put it's name on, package it and mail it back to them C.O.D. I will give them a warranty of equal value in return for their wonderful customer service...the tail-light warranty.

I used to do warranty repair claims for electronics so, for all you others still looking for replacement parts, we had our best luck at Radioshack or you can try a company called Tritronics. They are one the web at www.tritronicsinc.com. The do not specifically carry Koss replacement parts, but they can probably get you close or tell you where to go.

Corey971
Unregistered guest
Man,,,,,I almost went into a store, XS Cargo to purchase one of these units. After reading all of this, I'm not only going to run away, but I'm planning on printing out every entry on this site and handing personally to the store manager. If they do not stop selling the crap I'll stand outside and with my own two hands, hand everyone that goes into the store a copy of these posts. Somewhat of a boycot.

Unregistered guest
ive had my ks5190 for a year and i have no problems with it yet the fan did grind a bit, but i oiled mine and it works fine.i hope this helps some of you with the fan part lol.but i mean think about it, u dont go and by a new car and drive it without changing oil in it and almost every machine is going to need oil sometime in its life.hope this helps.

Post Number: 5
Here's the latest I've sent to Koss and received from Koss...I will never buy anything Koss again and I'm going to spread the word.

I asked if I was ever going to receive a response from the so-called "concerned department" and here's what I got back:

"Due to a company restructuring, we sincerely regret that we are not accepting returns for Koss/Oritron/JSI brand electronics."

Can't imagine what that means...

Username: Cr8erface

Son of a gun. I came in here to see if I can find the remote/instruction manual for this system. I just traded an xbox game for it but I need the remote to get the Dolby to work. After reading all of this, I don't even know if I want to bother. I did notice the grinding noise from the unit and as a person who diagnoses and repairs 5 million dollar HP servers for a living, I'd have to say that what I am hearing is a fan attempting to spin. I'm going to crack the system now and see if I can figure out a fix as a may not be a bad fan. The board could be providing too little voltage for the fans. We'll see. I'll keep you imformed.

Username: Sheridan07

we have had our ks5190 since bestbuy sold it... I'm pretty sure that was december of 2004, and it has always had that loud noise once in a while when it first starts up, but nothing else has gone wrong, so I guess we are extremely lucky...

I came across this site trying to figure out how to fix some lag when using my optical audio cable from my xbox 360... but after seeing all these other problems I'm sure it is the crappy KOSS system yet again...

guess we'll buy Bose in the future :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Annamouse

Post Number: 18
can't imagine anyone's still reading this, what with hd/blu-ray players out now, but the "grinding" noise is indeed the fan (on Right, front). It vibrates when running on the higher speed (typically starting up). Solution: electrical tape. Use it to secure it to the frame and/or heat sink. Vibrations gone, runs near silent. Oiling it as suggested won't hurt either.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us