Surround sound hookup question?

Username: Humanpole

Post Number: 1
Hi,
I'm thinking that the answer is out there somewhere, but i have not had any luck finding it so I'm going to post this question.

I have DirecTV with TIVO and I just hooked up my Sony DAV C700 surround sound system. Everything works great. My question is, is there any way to wire it so that when we are watching TV we can get sound from my Sony DAV C700 unit also? Right now, I only get the surround sound when I am playing a DVD in my C700. When we are watching TV ( a Sony Wega), we just get sound from the TV speakers, and I am hoping that there is a way to wire it so that we can watch TV and also take advantage of my new surround sound speakers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Dirtfarmer

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 511
you can try here
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/113395.html

blueballs
Unregistered guest
very simple Dave.....
Take the audio output from the TV to the stereo audio input for the TV...typically they are L&R audio rca's...
Good luck

Username: Humanpole

Post Number: 2
Blueballs,
Thanks for the response.
I'm a bit confused, though. I assumed I would need to connect something from my surround sound DVD player to my TV to make this work, but you are saying the connection I need to make is from the audio output on my TV right back into my audio input on my TV??? And the RCA's you're referring to are the red, white and yellow plugs, correct??

I'll give it a try this evening. Thanks again.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 124
Dave,

What blue said will work, but the result will be 2 channel stereo. Since you're running multi-channel surround, a better connection would be to run either a digital coaxial or optical cable directly from your Direct TV box(OUT), and plug it into your receiver(IN). Once you hookup that way, you'll be able to experience 5.1surround while watching TV shows so long as the source is broadcast in DD. Many of the HD and some nonHD shows/events are broadcast in DD and you wont want to miss out on that experience.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 125
Dave,

You can do the same with your DVD player. Simply plug your DVD player into your reciever directly via either digital coax/optical cable. Before you put a DVD into your player, be sure to properly set your DVD player menus correctly to DD etc...etc.

If you want 5.1 surround, DO NOT use the red and white RCA inputs. That will only result in two channel stereo. You must use the digital coax or optical connects.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us