Home Theater + Whole House Audio

Rich Johnson
Unregistered guest
We're building a new house. I'm trying to figure out how to integrate my modest home theater setup with a basic whole house audio system. The home theater uses the standard 5.1 five speaker setup with a subwoofer. The whole house system uses its own dedicated audio reciever routed to the speaker pairs via a manual selector box. Because the rack for the whole house system is located away from the home theater system, I'd like to be able to just turn on the whole house system without having to go over and turn on the home theater receiver as well.

I thought about just treating the home theater speakers like another speaker pair. I would run a second set of cables from my WHA speaker selector directly to the HT speakers. In other words the HT speakers would be hard wired to both the WHA system and the HT system. An obvious problem occurs though if both systems were turned on at once. The speakers would be getting signals from both systems, which I imagine would not be a good thing. I don't think I'd have any problem making sure I only had one system on at a time, but I worry about guests and family. Is there a simpler or more foolproof way to do what I'm trying to do?

Thanks in advance?

Rich Johnson
Camano Island, WA

P.S. It would also be nice to include the subwoofer as part of the WHA system. Is there an easy way to make this part of the speaker "pair" for this room?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us