Newbie question regarding set-up, DTS and such

Username: Eddiwill

Post Number: 5
Hello,

I hope I can ask this question clearly, as I am having difficulty putting it into words. Please bear with me!

I used to have a very low-end HTIB. Over time I replaced all the speakers w/ many of the speakers I read about here (thanks! btw). This week-end, I upgraded (for me, anyway) to a stand alone receiver, a Pioneer VSX-D514. I THINK I hooked it up correctly, BUT, I have what may be an idiotic question:

On my old HTIB, if I inserted a DVD in 5.1 DTS, it showed up as such and the unit didn't "allow" me to make any changes (a la prologic or "movie" settings or anything like that). I assumed that all those other settings, which were only "available" on non-DTS sources, were ONLY for non DTS discs and the like.

Well, my new unit is not like that. My receiver shows my source as "digital," which seems right, but the DTS light is not illuminated on the reciever and I can select all of the prologic options, like movie, music, etc. (My DVD player is DTS capable).

Have I done something wrong? Or is this just a result of sheer ignorance on my part (or both!!!)

Thanks to all for any help!

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 118
The DVD has to be recorded in DTS, and DTS playback is dependent on the disc.

You can look to the back of the DVD cover, and see if the DTS logo is there. If you thumb through several DVDs, you see the vast majority are recorded in 5.1DD.

IMHO
Unregistered guest
Make sure your DVD player settings are correct. Sometimes, DVD players' default settings are for stereo televisions and are defaulted to "virtual surround". With these default settings, the player will convert 5.1 sound to stereo before sending the stereo signal out digitally. Yes, the signal do come out digitally but it will be converted to 2-channels by the DVD Player's decoder already. Your receiver will then employ Dolby Prologic IIx or something similar to convert the sound back to 5.1. You would have lost much of the DTS effects through the process.

My Sony DVD player has 3 settings, one to disable the player's Dolby decoder, one to disable the player's DTS decoder and a third to expand the range of signal output; these are the settings to use if you wish to use your receiver to its full potential.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us