Home Theater newbie

Username: Duckyspawn

Post Number: 1
Hello all,

As the title says, I am a home theater newbie. I just purchased the Samsung 50' DLP this past weekend. Other than my XBox and Directv Tivo, that is the extent of my components. I am trying to figure out the best DVD player, receiver and speakers to purchase.

For DVD player, I am leaning towards a five disk model as I would like it to double as a CD player. But I want to make sure I can hook it up to the HDMI slot on my tv/receiver. Receivers I know absolutely nothing about. FOr speakers, since my home theater is my family room, I want something that is unobtrusive and can be mounted or something that is installed in the ceiling.

Even being a newbie, I knew enough to get a monster power strip and cables as well as the high def cables for the xbox. Any help anyone can provide is greatly appreciated.

Mike

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2763
Budget?

Post Number: 2
I didnt necessarily have a budget in mind (which I guess is foolish. I guess a reciever in the $500 - $1,000 range and decent speakers would satisfy me.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 127
Just one comment.....

One thing to keep in mind, you might want to reserve your best connection(HDMI input) for your HD signal where it counts the most, and then use components for DVD video.

As for suggestions??....you might want to start by doing some homework and seeing what's available first so you can determine what you need or want in your system. Once you know what you want, then you can start to narrow down the search and get feedback on specifics.

Post Number: 3
I would agree to reserve my HDMI connection for where it counts most. Cant this connection be daisy chained. I thought I read that somewhere. I need to know what exactly to look for in a receiver so I make sure I have a sufficient number of connections and that is can be expandable for future use.

Username: Nattera

CA

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I'm also a Home Theater newbie.

I recently purchased a Moviestar 70+ at a closeout price. I don't know how to set up a Home Theater but I think I'll need a 5.1 AV receiver and a DVD Player with DTS.

I'll also have to include my an analog TV and a VCR to the system. Because of the budget issue, I plan to upgrade the TV in the future.

Would you give me some advise on matching up the speaker with the Receiver and DVD Player, please?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us