Connecting surround sound to TV

thomasnorris
Unregistered guest
I have DVD with 5.1 surround package. Now I want to connect my surround sound directly to my TV, so that I can get surround with normal TV.
Do I need an amp to connect the two? If so what type should I be looking at buying?

Tom

Bronze Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 18
I assume you mean that your DVD player has outputs for front left & right, center, surround left & right and LFE (subwoofer). I know of no consumer model tv that would allow you to make those connections directly from your DVD player. And why would you want to? No consumer tv is large enough to allow for the 5.1 effects. It would be akin to plugging a transistor radio (do they still make those things?) into a high end stereo. Sure, you could do it. But why would you want to? You will need a 5.1 capable amp or receiver. Your DVD player probably has a digital coaxial and/or optical output. You can purchase an amp with the 5.1 "package" input jacks and/or coaxial and/or optical digital inputs. I would tend to use the coaxial or optical connections and forgo usage of the 5.1 jacks because a decent amp is going to give you a much cleaner and detailed signal and more adjustments from a digital signal than that derived directly from the DVD player. Like most things in av, there are exceptions. The appropriate amp will also have standard audio input jacks to which you could connect the output jacks of your tv. However, unless your tv has a digital audio output jack, you will mostly be listening to Pro Logic II, stereo and other effects (depending on programing and amp features). You have to have a digital signal to obtain 5.1 dolby digital sound. I'm not about to recommend specific brands. Do your research and make certain the amp will accommodate your needs. These days, you can purchase good quality amps for $300 or so. Hope this has been helpful. If not, give me a holler.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us