Help with my dirt cheap DVD set-up?

Username: Lordofthepants

Post Number: 1
Hello,

I'm sure most of you guys will think I'm dumb, and I'd have to agree. Rather than spending the extra bit of money to buy new (dependable) stuff, I've been trying to set up a little TV with DVD in my room. I bought a used DVD player at a pawn shop, and I had a little TV with only a rf input, and so I bought an rf/av switch. The DVD player I bought was part of an Audiovox home theater system, so it's got all sorts of speaker outputs in the back. All I want is the main audio to come out of the TV speakers, but all I can get is one of the background channels. Is there anyway to fix this, or should I just start looking to find some used speakers?

Thanks!
Mikey

Silver Member
Username: Dirtfarmer

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 404
Michael Casalaina

the problem is not with you machine

you see a new dvd can not be use (not with out a new part) on a old tv with onlt a coaxial plug on back it just will not work
here why
Message Board: Home Video: DVD Players: Connect older TV to DVD, VCR & Digital Cable Box using RF Modulator
Use this link to go directly to the discussion:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/16195.html
and
if you like to goa lot of reading about setup go here
Message Board: Home Theater: Home Theater Setup & Planning: The ultimate theatre setup guide
Use this link to go directly to the discussion:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/113395.html
The RF Modulator - DVD Player Connection Option
http://hometheater.about.com/cs/dvdlaserdisc/a/aadvdrfmoda.htm

The RF Modulator and You
The Need For The RF Modulator
DVD is definitely the consumer electronics success story of the early the 21st Century. It has been the catalyst for the acceptance of home theater, boosting the sales of TVs, surround sound receivers, and home theater speaker systems.

However, the popularity of DVD has also created a minor "glitch" in the consumer market. The DVD player is a high performance unit designed to be used in a variety of setups. It has a plentiful variety of video output (composite, S-video, Component) and audio output (analog, digital optical, and digital coaxial) capabilities. However, there is one thing manufacturers didn't account for: the increasing demand for players to be able to connect to a standard cable or antenna input on older or entry level-type TVs

Many of you have written me that you have tried to connect your DVD player into your VCR and then use the VCR to pass the signal to your TV, but have experienced very poor picture quality in doing this.

The reason that a DVD player cannot be connected to a TV in this fashion is due to the fact that DVDs are encoded with anti-copy technology that interferes with the VCR's circuitry. That is why you cannot make a copy of a DVD onto a VCR tape successfully. However, this also prevents you from using the VCR as a "conduit" to pass a DVD signal through to the TV.

Using An RF Modulator

So, what is a person to do? Most people have their antenna or cable connected to the VCR and, from there, the VCR is connected to their TV. However, how can you connect a DVD player to your TV, if your TV doesn't have AV inputs that are compatible with the DVD player? Secondly, how can you connect both your VCR and DVD player your TV at the same time if your TV only has one cable or antenna input?

The answer to the above questions is a little black box that has been around for years called an RF modulator (Radio Frequency Modulator). The function of an RF modulator is simple. The RF modulator converts the video (and/or audio) output of a DVD player (or camcorder or video game) into a channel 3/4 signal that is compatible with a TV's cable or antenna input.

There are many RF modulators available, but all function in a similar fashion. The main feature of an RF modulator is that makes it perfectly suited for use with DVD is the capacity for it to accept the standard audio/video outputs of a DVD player and the cable input (even passed through a VCR) simultaneously.

Setting your RF modulator is fairly straightforward:

First, Just plug your cable/vcr output into its cable input connection of the RF modulator and the DVD player into the RF modulator's AV inputs.

Second, connect a standard cable from the RF modulator to your TV.

Third, select either the channel 3 or 4 output on the back of the RF modulator.

Fourth, turn the TV on and the RF modulator will automatically detect your cable input for the TV. When you want to watch your DVD player, just put the TV on channel 3 or 4, turn the DVD on and the RF modulator will automatically detect the DVD player and will display your movie.

Although there are minor differences in brands of RF modulators the set up is basically as outlined above.

In addition, if you don't have a stereo system you can also hookup the DVD player's stereo outputs to the RF modulator as well. Obviously you won't get the benefits of surround sound, but you will hear the audio through the TV's speakers. Also, you won't get the full benefits of a DVD quality picture and the conversion from video to RF (cable) downgrades the resolution. However, as you switch between your VCR and DVD you will notice the quality of the DVD image is still superior than anything you probably have viewed on your TV.

With more consumers buying DVD players and enjoying their benefits, full knowledge of connection options and limitations is important. Hopefully, this short article has provided some needed information.

For an additional resource, check out some Audio/Video Wiring Solutions as presented by Matthew Torres, About Guide for TV/Video
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us