Recommended ONKYO HTS650 SETTINGS?

Tom L.
hi all i have been watching this forum for quite awhile and read all the good reviews about the HTS650, from this site and many others. So i purchased it last night from CC for $499.99 and in my opinion its a great deal, but i was wonder what kind of settings do you guyz have for each speakers(like your DB+/-) for optimal performance, subwoofer mode, and placement of subwoofer. thanks! :)

box
Tom,

I'd say, first start with good placement of all your speakers. I've had my HTS650 for several weeks now and have enjoyed tinkering with all the settings and this is what I've found that works for my ears and my set up at home:

1. Crossover setting of 120. I've noticed that the sound is fuller with this setting. This will allow the sub to capture more of the upper bass/lower midrange instead of letting the main speakers try to produce these frequencies. If the main speakers had larger drivers (i.e. 6 1/2 inch) or if they had more bass extension, then a setting of 100 or even 80 might be okay.

2. Speaker level-settings: Left Front 0; Center +3; Right Front 0; Surrounds +2; Subwoofer 0. Volume level on the subwoofer is at maximum. The center is set so that movie dialogue is anchored to the screen. Surrounds are set so that they have an enveloping sound without distracting from the front sound. I haven't done too much experimenting with the Subwoofer level because it already seemed to sound balanced.

3. Subwoofer Mode 1 works well with the speakers in this system.

4. Treble: +8 and Bass: 0.

5. My delay settings are: Center 1; Surround 7 (I'm still tinkering with this setting and have found that a setting between 4 and 7 is okay). The manual has a formula for determining the proper delay setting depending on the distance of your speakers to your listening position.

box
for listening to music, I use the All channels stereo mode and set the volume control on the subwoofer at about one third full, instead of full volume for movies. All other settings are the same as above.

Tom L.
thanks for the reply box. i also had another problem maybe someone here can help me with. im not 100% sure that this problem exist but it did the first time i ever hooked it up. For now only a DVD player (TOSHIBA SD3750) is hooked up to it. i have audio connected to the COAXIAL (SPDIF) jack on the back of the reciever, and S-video hooked up to my 32" Flat Screen Sony. When i popped in a DVD (SHREK) i couldnt get it to run in DD i only got ProLogic II :( i then unhooked everything as we are drilling holes into the wall to mount them. do you think its a problem with my reciever? or the DVD player? i did have it setup for 2.1 before and now i dont know how to set it to 5.1? BTW: whats PCM??

THANKS!!!

Anonymous
On the receiver, check the audio and digital input settings to make sure that it's using the coaxial input.

On the DVD, in the the options, try setting the output to bitstream, instead of pcm.

Tom L.
thanks anonymous i actually tried that right after i posted and it worked :) and it sounds GREAT!

Davy Van Dingenen DVD
Hey guys, whenever you want the get the best out of your system getting the settings right, there's a DVD called "Ultimate DVD Platinum" which tests your system thoroughly and suggests the ideal settings specifically for your system. Can be bought at amazon.com about 27 US dollars. Cheers.

Gavin
I'd have to agree with the crossover setting of 120, since the subwoofer doesn't have its own crossover dial. Setting it to 120 will give the sub the ability to fill in some sound on the low end that the other speakers can't produce very well.

If the subwoofer had an adjustable crossover which it doesn't (it only has a volume dial), then I'd set the receiver crossover to 80, and set the crossover on the subwoofer to like 100 or a little higher. That way there would be more of an overlap in frequencies between the subwoofer and the other speakers (80-100 Hz overlapping frequencies).

In terms of level settings and treble and bass; my settings are a little different, probably because the size of my room and location of furniture and carpet and stuff.

Pragll
To get Dolby Digital sound, do you have to use the optical or coaxial digital jacks?

Anonymous
Yes, to get Dolby Digital (or DTS) sound, you'll need to use either the optical or coaxial inputs.

If you only use the Left and Right stereo plugs, you can only get Dolby ProLogic surround sound.

pragll
OK, thanks..now i just have to go out and buy one. One other question. I have a Hughes Satellite receiver. When i plug that into the receiver using the S-Video connection I get no video on the TV. Is this because I don't have S-video cable going to the TV from the reciever?

docwarri
For the coaxial connection on the Onkyo S600, what kind of cable should be used?

I have audio connected to the Optical 1 jack on the back of the HT-S650 reciever, When I popped in a DVD that has Dolby Digital and DTS, I couldnt get it to run in DD or DTS. I can only get ProLogic II. I enabled bitstream on the DVD player and I tried everything I could possibly on the receiver? Pressing Surround on the remote changes only between ProLogicII Movie and proLogicII Music.

What do I need to get the DTS and Dolby Digital output?

Anonymous
I just hooked up my S650. Everything is working well except the subwoofer. I know that my coax cable works and the cord is properly plugged in, but when I run a speaker test, I get nothing out of the subwoofer. The only thing I can conclude is that the subwoofer preamp is bad or a fuse in that circuit has been blown. Any suggestions. I have the crossover set at 100, but will change that to 120 based on recommendation above. However, I don't believe that will solve my problem. Thanks for any help. Got tired of holding on the line with Onkyo. I'm set up for 5 speakers, is there something one has to do to set up the receiver for 5.1 operation?

OnkyoOwner
To Most Recent Anonymous Post-
You may have the LFE problem which has been the plague of the Onkyo HTS-650 system. The receiver will not decode the LFE channel from the subwoofer in Mode 3. Onkyo is working on a fix for this. Please contact them to report this problem. They are currently gathering information from owners so they can evaluate the extent of the problem. You can email their customer service with your receiver's serial number, place of purchase. etc. It may take a few days before you get a response from them--BUT they will RESPOND. I hope you bought the system from an authorized Onkyo dealer.

Anonymous
To quote OnkyoOwner:
"You may have the LFE problem which has been the plague of the Onkyo HTS-650 system. The receiver will not decode the LFE channel from the subwoofer in Mode 3."

Ok, sorry if I sound a bit frustrated but I've tried to explain this issue before and no matter how simple it is, a lot of people still don't understand it. Here I go again...

If you have the LFE problem the receiver will not decode the LFE channel from the subwoofer IN ANY MODE!!!. The only reason you get bass from mode1 and mode2 are because you are hearing the bass from the other channels sent to the sub. You will NOT hear ANY LFE AT ALL IN ANY MODE if you have the LFE problem. Now, there might be another issue going on I don't know about but the issue of LFE not being passed happens in ANY mode if you have the problem.

People seem to have trouble understanding the difference between LFE and regular bass. LFE is just the .1 in a 5.1 soundtrack. The other channels still produce bass and this is the bass that's passed to the sub in modes 1 and 2. Think of LFE as an extended bass track.

OnkyoOwner
Thanks for correcting me Anonymous. What I meant--was that the LFE problem is most noticeable in Mode 3...it is sort of masked in mode 1 which I usually listen in.

box
I want to make one change to my suggestions that I made above. All my settings are the same except now I changed:

Bass: +4

I was able to play around with this setting recently, and I just think it gives better emphasis on some of the mid and lower frequencies. This adjustment has nothing to do with the LFE issue.

Anonymous
OnkyoOwner,

No problem. Sorry if I sounded harsh and I didn't mean to take anything out on you. It's just that there is a LOT of confusion out there on what exactly LFE is. The most common thing I hear time after time is "I don't have the LFE problem because I hear bass in mode 1", or "I only have the LFE problem in mode 3 because I get bass from the sub in the other modes". People say this no matter how many times the issue is explained and it gets frustrating after a while. And yep you're right. It is masked in mode 1 because you do hear the bass from the other channels. If you don't know what to listen for you just might miss it. I hope I cleared it up a bit.

I bought the system from Fry. Is the LFE problem something that can be corrected or does one have to get another receiver. I'd like to take the receiver alone back to Fry and exchange for another. Or possibly I'll take it to an authorized repair shop and have it fixed under warranty. I've tried Modes 1, 2, and 3 and have had no luck on any of them.

Thanks for all of your input. I'll notify Onkyo.

Herb

Anonymous
OK, LAST TIME FOR THE AUDIOPHONIC IMPAIRED LIKE ME!.
PLEASE EXPLAIN THE LFE PROBLEM WITH THE HTS-650 RECIEVER .
IF I PUT STAR WARS DVD ON VIA OPTICAL CABLE TO RECIEVER, AND DO THE THX AUDIO TEST I GET LOW FREQUENCY BURPS/CLICKS FROM MY SUB.MOST NOTICABLE IN MODE 3.
DOES THIS CONSTITUTE THE LFE PROBLEM?
INCIDENTLY I BOUGHT THE SYSTEM FROM LOCAL CIRCUIT CITY AND TRIED TO EXPLAIN THE PROBLEM TO THEM BUT THEY "NEVER HEARD OF THIS PROBLEM BEFORE".
ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Anonymous
SONOFA!$#$^!#$#^%$#!

Anon, print out any of the 10 or so threads on the issue and take them to circuit city and whap them upside the head with it.

Run the thx test on any mode. If you don't hear a low frequency smooth white noise when it hits the sub and you have everything set up right, you have the problem. Doesn't matter what mode you're in. If you hear anything that's not low freq. smooth white noise you most likely have the problem... This is explained about 100 times in all the threads...

kevray
Sridhar Gaddipati, did you ever figure out how to get dolby digital because I,m having the same problem. I have the dvd player on bitstream. thanks

box
kevray and Sridhar Gaddipati,

Did you guys make sure that your "Digital Input" and "Audio Selector" switches on the receiver are set to OPT1? On the DVD player, enable DTS output.

Interested shopper
Herb Oetken-

How much was the Onkyo system at Fry's? Is it cheaper than Circuit City?

BTW, I listen to lots of Hi Fi equipment from high end to entry level, and I have to say the Onkyo HTS650 is by far the best deal for the money. Nothing I've heard yet in it's price range has the sound quality or the flexibility of hook up combinations. If only there were component video connectors it would be perfect.

Anonymous
Does anyone out there have a problem with the HTS-650 NOT "remembering" the volume settings of individual speakers?

Example - I set Speaker level-settings: Left Front +2; Center +4; Right Front +2; Surrounds +5 and Subwoofer 0. After making the settings, I turn off the reciever and turn it back on and all settings are back to "0".

Is this normal?

Anonymous
You have to run the TEST (on the remote) and then increase/decrease the level-settings for each speaker. Then you can turn it off. Turn it back on and you'll get your new speaker settings. Enjoy.

po
I see a lot of people here setting positive gains on their channels and I wanted to caution everyone doing this that by introducing + gains, you increase your chances of distortion due to digital saturation when applying this gain which can result in clipped output. Only an issue at super high levels but, heck, it's good practice anyway to never apply positive gains.

Also, there is absolutely no reason to use positive gains when negative gains can achieve the same relative level balance. For example, if one were to set

Front left/right: +2dB
Center: +4dB
Rear left/right: +5dB

like someone just posted, you'll achieve the same balance by setting:

Front left/right: -3dB
Center: -1dB
Rear left/right: 0dB

With the second setting, you have the same relative levels among the speakers so the balance will be identical. You'll just have to twist the volume knob an extra tick or so to have the same output level. However, you have now just eliminated the possibility of ever having distortion due to the digital gain causing internal saturation (bad).

Rule of thumb, positive gain bad, negative gain good.

-po

Thanks for the speaker level setting input. That did the job.

I also opted for the suggestion using negative gains to get the same relative balance. That makes more sense too.

I have also found that same concept works well in equalizing tones. If you wantmore percieved bass, then cut highs and mids a little instead of boosting bass.

You guys are very helpfull, thanks again!

Anonymous
I am still using the original subwoofer cable which looks kind of tiny. Is it worth to spend $40-$80 for a monster subwoofer cable?
It's a lot of money.

Thanks

OnkyoOwner
Best Buy carries a very good quality brand of subwoofer cable AR-Acoustic Research--costs around $15.
You can also try Radio Shack Gold series. Just as good as Monster- less than half the price

Anonymous
OnkyoOwner:
Thanks I went to Radio Shack. The salesman said they only have audio-video RCA gold plated cable for around $8 for a 6 footer. Is it the same subwoofer cable?
I went to Best Buy in West Los Angeles, they only have an AR 25 foot subwoofer for $20, but all I need is 6, so I didn't buy from them.

I have replaced my front and center cables with Monster XP which only costed me $15 for 20 feet for all 3 front speakers. I can hear the difference between original and monster cable.
Do you have any opinion on the rear speaker wires. Monster XP for the rear surround may casue me $35-$50. Not sure if I it's worth that kind of money.

OnkyoOwner
Anonymous- I believe the subwoofer cable is really just an RCA plug, so the Radio Shack cable should work fine.
Many other owners of this system myself included have just replaced the original 22 gauge wire with 16 gauge speaker wire that you can buy by the foot from Home Depot or in spools of 50-100 feet from Target, Walmart, Radio Shack. I paid $19 for 100 feet from Target.
hope this helps. Enjoy the system & hope you don't have the LFE bug!

Anonymous
OnkyoOwner - Thanks for your opinion. Yes My system does have LFE bug. However, I spend most of my time working on the PC and therefore I hook up my system to a PC for MP3 and sometimes for DVD. Since my PC only has an analog connection with the receiver, the bug doesn't impact me for now. However, I do like to get the system fixed, when the fix is available in 2-3 weeks according to Onkyo. In the meantime, I really enjoy the system. I figure that it only costed me around $450 for the system which should last for at least 10 years for moderate volume usage at an average cost of only about $45 per year. It is quite a bargain. Since my ONkyo is located in my study room, it sounds almost as good as my $1500 Yamaha+Polk system in the family room. Of course the difference is that my study room is enclosed but my family is opened.

Anonymous
Interresting to see all those settings. Now, I don't have a sub (switched sub setting to Off) and my 500 acts like there is one and gives me no bass from my main speakers. Needless to say that my "movie experience" is like listening to an old AM radio.

Also I feel like I have to crank the volume very high (60+ for movies/50+ for music) to have decent sound. Hear almost nothing below 25.
- Is this normal
- What volume level is supposed to be OK.

OnkyoOwner
Last anon poster-
I need to have the receiver in the low 50's for music & anywhere from 58-65 for movies--so I think this may be the norm for this system. I can have it much lower for listening to radio, though.

I wonder what would happen if you set the sub setting to "on" without a sub?

Anonymous
OO,

Tried that, no more luck.

I called a local tech guy who suggest to verify the polarity of my speaker that just might be cancelling each other out. Not sure about this but can't wait to tried this when I return home tonight.

goto
In response to the issue regarding adjusting your levels. I wouldn't necessarily suggest using negative gains over positive gains. You increase your chances of audible noise if you use negative gains (i.e. background hiss). Instead, I'd recommend using zero as the baseline setting and then increase levels.

So instead of using settings like this -
Front left/right: +2dB
Center: +4dB
Rear left/right: +5dB

You should set it to this -
Front left/right: 0dB
Center: +2dB
Rear left/right: +3dB

And don't do this -
Front left/right: -3dB
Center: -1dB
Rear left/right: 0dB

Alright I set up my 650 yesterday and did the Mode 3 test and even popped in Moulin Rouge to do the THX test. I get no popping and I get no wierd noises. The sub is just fine in Mode 3 but when I ran the THX test the Sub gave NO SOUND. Not a click, not a pop, nothing......help?

clown vomit
Marc,

Make sure your DVD player is set up for Dolby Digital and your receiver's input is set for opt/coax.

peace,

clown vomit

AcousticPupil
I was just reading all these postings because I own the HTS650 and I'm new to all this kind of stuff so I'm just trying to learn. The posting by OnkyoOwner about the volume settings caught my eye. I usually play movies at 65-70 (which is about what (s)he suggested, but I was just curious how high the volume can go without messing anything up? The system comes together so does that mean it's made to where the speakers won't bust even at max? And also I was told to be careful when listening to music trough my computer (basically the only may I do) because more power is being pushed through or something. Is this a serious concern?

To OnkyoOwner and Anonymous 10 to 11 posting above... If the signal for the subwoofer is not amplified before leaving the receiver, is it necessary to have a thick subwoofer cable for the HTS650 system? I do see why the 5 others cables should be replace but for the sub I don't see the need.

OnkyoOwner
To Ed-
Since I was upgrading my speaker wire to 16 gauge for all the other speakers, I decided to buy a better quality subwoofer cable, too (I bought Acoustic Research brand at Best Buy for $15)
I don't really know if it makes any difference or not-since I am not a true audiophile, I couldn't hear any change. I sure wouldn't buy any overpriced monster brand cable.
Does anyone else know if improving the subwoofer cable makes a difference??

Anonymous
Soundcity.com has the Onkyo HTS650 on sale for $430.00 that includes shipping (System $399 shipping $39)

Anonymous
Regarding individual speaker volume adjustments:

This is one of the most important adjustments to get correct in your system. With the correct adjustments, you will get more accurate placement of sound throughout the listening area and will make sounds that pan through your DD or DTS sound field more realistic.

This adjustment is also very difficult to do using just your ear. You can get an SPL (Sound Pressure Level) meter from radio shack for about $30. This tool will make it much easier to tune your speakers' volume including your sub.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
Just got my Onkyo HTS650 and test it out with the THX Optimizer and my receiver doesn't have the LFE issue. My question is that if I mainly use the receiver for watching dvd movie, should I always leave it in mode 3 for the sub? Does the bass that's passed to the sub in modes 1 and 2 passes to the sub in mode 3?

I am still fairly new at this, so please bear with me

TIA,
CT

Anonymous
Can anyone recommend good quality speaker stands for the two front and rear speakers? Is wood the best material? What brand offers the best quality and value?

By the way, I'm about to buy the updated version of this -- the HT-S660 (I believe the new receiver comes with updated component switching) for $400. Can anyone confirm this new receiver actually offers component switching? Anyone heard it selling for less?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Anonymous
Circuit City has some nice wooden stands. I think they run about $30-$35 each. Make sure you ask if they have any "open box" stands. They are usually already assembled plus you get a discount. I think CC just changed the model of thier speaker stands so you may get a good deal on the older model.

Just got last year's model for $319 from the Onkyo Store, join their club to get $10 off. Free shipping. Look for Factory Refurb's in the Store site.
I had no sound through DTS, but I think it's the lack of coax/optical cable. Will attempt again.
I got 16 ga "AR" cables. Somewhat brighter sound, definitely. Volume levels consistent with everyone else's, though.
Very impressed with system for the price.

Anonymous
Just to bump this back up, I too am interested in people's opinions in speaker stands. Any suggestions other than Circuit City?

I have read the posts about the subwoofer problems, and I have a tip/suggestion. I have an older model Onkyo, and had the same low/no subwoofer volume problem. My subwoofer is homemade, so I suspected it first. Long story short, Onkyo uses a pre-amp level output on their receivers, instead of a line level out. Pre-amp out is more like a microphone level. You may need to install a pre-amp between the receiver and subwoofer.

Anonymous
need help

reciver onkyo tx-ds484
speakers jamo 4sub.1

i have a problem with the subwoofer, after a wild of play, he starst to raise the sound (very Loud) , so if have to turn off.

i tryed some configurations.

if some one have a clue to resolve this problem, i will been thankful.

Anonymous
I have a clicking noise when playing Dolby Digital DVD's or Satellite. It doesn't happen with DTS or ProLogic. It seems to happen on high sounds... Anyone heard of this problem?

Anonymous
same here with DD streams on my TX-SR500 receiver
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us