Need help Setting up TV, DVD and surround sound Receiver

Username: Harvey_mistry

Post Number: 1
Hi, I've got a dolby pro-logic TV and I got a 5.1 surround sound package. I've connected the DVD player up to the receiver through the optical and I have a coaxial, analog line in and digital DIN slot left on the receiver. My TV has 5 RCA slots free - 2 front, 2 rear and 1 centre. I'm not sure how to connect these up, so I can watch videos and Sky TV with surround. But I still want to be able to watch TV without the 5.1 surround. What do I need to do and which cables do I need?

Thankyou

Unregistered guest
hi i have ntl cable box(new version just replaced) i can't seem to get everything working again. i have 5.1 suround sound, video, dvd and tv wich all worked fine before but for some reason doesn't work now. can you help please

Silver Member
Username: Daedilus

Post Number: 143
Hemendra:

Depends on whether or not you are using a cable or sat box. If not then you are reliant on your TV's 5.1 analog output.

If your amp has 5.1 analog input (sometimes called direct in) you will have to connect each speaker to its match on the receiver and put the amp into direct mode.

Being that your TV seems to have a decoder in it (which im leery of), you should be able to use the tvs speakers at any point, since it is doing the decoding of the source.

If you have a cable or satellite box, much better if you use a digital input off of it to your receiver.

With regards to the cable, use standard RCA phono style cables :

Upload

Smithy,

please post the model number of each piece of equipment you are using so i can pull manuals and illustrate a hookup Jpeg for you.

Unregistered guest
I have a 5-year-old Sony STR DE335 5.1 surround receiver with RCA style inputs for all five surround speakers, but a new Yamaha DVD player with just coax and optical audio outputs. What do I need to get the audio from the DVD player to all five channels? Is there some kind of off-the-shelf cable harness I can get that's, say, coax out to five RCA plugs? Or is there some component that sits between the player and reeciver that will take a coax or optical signal from the player and send it out to five RCA plugs? Or am I doomed to get a new receiver with coax and optical audio inputs if I want to get 5.1? Help!

Unregistered guest
I just bought a new Onkyo TX-SR603X and I have all 7 speakers set up, my dvd player, my son's Playstation. All of which work perfectly But I also bought a projecter and a new T.V. but I cannot get the T.V. or the projector or the T.V. to work. I purchased all the cables that I would need but it still won't work. Can anybody tell me what I need to do or buy. Or even tell me a website that might be able to help me?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us