Help me I'm a noob

Username: Ricardoht

Post Number: 1
I recently bought an Onkyo HTS 770. Whenever I try to play DTS I hear no sound. Why is that? I can use Dolby Digital EX but no DTS.

With my DVD player I have the option of the following Digital Sound output:

Dolby Digital/PCM
PCM
Stream

Sample frequency:
48 KHz
96 Khz

Which option should I choose? I'm new to this and I don't understand what PCM and those frequencies are for.

Any help?

Username: Lazarus2297

Post Number: 9
just a quick question you are connecting the DVD player via one of the digital outs aren't you. I didn't realize that at first. And if you give more specific details on what DVD you are watching does it have a DTS track, etc...

Post Number: 2
I was watching Gangs of New York and it does have a DTS track. My DVD player is hooked up with components to the receiver.

The Digital Sound Output thing is from the setup of my DVD player.

thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
what audio connection do you have from the DVD player to the reciever the component out is video connection that doesn't matter. I had the same problem on my reciever but that was because i was using the L an R audio connections those can't do the digital signal.

one other thing you might want to try is when you play the DTS track hit the setup key on your onkyo remote and scroll until you see audio adjustments(or something like that) and see if DTS is set to AUTO. This menu will only show up if you have a DTS signal coming into the reciever though.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
what audio connection do you have from the DVD player to the reciever the component out is video connection that doesn't matter. I had the same problem on my reciever but that was because i was using the L an R audio connections those can't do the digital signal.

one other thing you might want to try is when you play the DTS track hit the setup key on your onkyo remote and scroll until you see audio adjustments(or something like that) and see if DTS is set to AUTO. This menu will only show up if you have a DTS signal coming into the reciever though.

Post Number: 4
I am using a fiber optic cable from the DVD to the receiver. I've gone into audio adjustments and I can't select DTS. I can only see Dolby and I can switch it between on, auto or off.

What about my DVD player settings? You know what PCM and Stream and those frequencies are for?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
hard to say what kind of DVD player do you have?

Under the audio options in the setup menu on my dvd player i have two options under digital audio:

dolby digital
dolby digital>PCM (this is the option i use)
and
digital out: which i have set to "on"

Post Number: 6
I also have selected that option. However, I can't play a movie using DTS, any clues?

My DVD is LG if that helps. On the DVD player it is showed the DTS icon, so it must be able to play it.

Do you know anything about the frequencies? Which one should I select?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
i have mine set to not downsample the frequencies..my manual said that was the best option for my reciever/DVD player combo i have an onkyo DVD player as well as the HTIB

Post Number: 7
I'll try using my Xbox to see if it can send a DTS signal. I'll let you know if it works or not.

Post Number: 9
I tried using my xbox to play a DTS track but still it didn't work. I could only play Dolby Digital. Any ideas? Is it possible that my receiver is malfunctioning and can't play DTS?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2506
Did you check of your DVD player can decode or flag a DTS signal? If you go into the audio options of the set up menu on the dvd player, you should have a toggle for DTS and Dolby Digital output. Most DVD players do not have this option turned on by default so you have to check. If you can get hold of a known DVD player that can play DTS, try it.

Post Number: 10
Yeah, my DVD player can decode DTS, or at least it has a DTS flag. If I go into the audio options of the set up menu on my DVD player, I can choose one of these three:

Dolby Digital/PCM
PCM
Stream

And one of these two:

Sample frequency:
48 KHz
96 Khz

Any ideas Berny?

Username: Jhs914

Post Number: 4
Ricardo,

I was having similar issues to yours. In the dvd player audio setup, it was originally set to PCM for DTS. Once I changed it to Bitstream, it seems to play dts fine.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
jhs914 ,

I did exactly what you told me and it worked. Thank you so much man. Which sample frequency should I choose? Any ideas?

Bronze Member
Username: Shantao

Post Number: 88
Ricardo,

set the dvd out to stream, PCM is generally used for cd audio. The receiver will detect that and automatically set it when using cd's.

As for the sampling frequency, the higher the better. That dvd player can handle 96khz signals that DTS uses, and will set itself to the 48k when cd's are played.

Anonymous

I recently purchased a Onkyo HTS-770 system. i connected my DVD player using the digital coax output. however, i cannot select the dolby option. when i use Display, all i see is PCM 48Khz. i went to the DVD player menu and selected the sound as Dolby Digital. but, the onkyo system does not seem to recognize it. Is there someway I can fix this issue.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us