Speaker recommendations for a Denon AVR-3200?

Username: Kurth

Post Number: 1
I got a Denon AVR-3200 from a friend of mine, he was upgrading his gear. Any way, I want to use it in my 12X14 bedroom. Right now I am using a pair of bose 201s. At a minimum I want to get a center and rears, or move the 201s to the back and get another set of fronts. I am not really tied to any brand, and I want to go with book shelf speakers, as I am in an apartment and the downstairs neighbors beat on the celing when I have the sub on the living room (whole other system) So for the time being I don't need a sub. I intend to use the speakers mostly for music, XM radio, and DVDs. Doesn't have to be fancy, but I am trying to get out of the habit of going cheap on speakers. I just don't know where to start. I went to Best buy today and no one was there to help and the speakers were all just out in the open with the subs cranked up. I am looking to spend $350-$500 ... if this is an unreasonable budget then let me know that and I can save up some more money.

Gold Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 1043
Take a look at the Paradigm Monitor Series Mini-Monitor. It is a small bookshelf speaker that sounds great, matches Denon perfectly amd fits your budget.The list price is $350 so you will have to save a bit more money in order to get the matching center[cc-370] which also lists for the same price. There are other good options in the Paradigm Performance Series like the Titan if you want to get the mains and center now. The matching center for the Titan is the cc-270. There are always several Paradigm models on e-bay if you want to use that option.

Post Number: 2
Thank you for your suggestion. I have found a paradigm dealer in my area. From reading this and other sites I have stumbled across several positive comments about Axiom speakers. I visited the axiom site and the M22i / vp100 looks like a nice combo I could stretch my budget for. If I like I sould consider the Axiom surrounds later. Are there any gotchas with Axiom? They look great, but are not availble in stores to take a test listen. And I have dumb question, forgive me .. but I just don't know ... is having 2 5 inch woofers like having 1 10 inch woofer?

Dabbler
Unregistered guest
As far as your woofer question goes, no it's not the same. It'd be nice though huh? Here's a very crude approximation. If you're only caluclating the surface area of the woofer, a 10 inch would yield about 78.5 square inches and two 5 inch woofers would yield about 39.3 square inches. In reality there are many other factors that go into the sound production of a speaker and how low it will go (I'm assuming that's what you're wondering about). Good luck.

Username: Jacksons98

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 2
HI Kurt! I have a pair of M22ti, the VP150, and a pair of QS8's. I think they sound terrific. I really love the center speaker and the QS8's specifically. I think they will work perfectly for your situation, but don't expect much bass espescially since we are talking bookshelf speakers here. I have a sub doing the basswork. Once you get out of the apartment you could consider doing the same. Personally I think you should save up your money and get exactly what you want. Speakers are one of the few electronic components you'll ever buy that you can keep for a really long time. You'll probably buy a new receiver every few years, new TV, new computer etc, but I had my previous set of speakers for 10+ years that are now in my bedroom, and just recently picked up the Axioms for my TV room. Good speakers make all the difference and give you the most return for your money.
My 2 cents :-)

Post Number: 3
I ended up getting a pair of axiom m22s .... amazing, I think they are great. I heard sounds from CDs I never even knew were there. And they have plenty of bass, not like Cerwin vega earthquake bass, but plenty for my tastes, and it shouldn't annoy the people below me.

Next will be the center channel .... Then For the time being I'll use the bose 201s for the surrounds, That should make a good speaker package.

Thanks everyone.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us