Help with TV, Cable, DVD-R, VCR, Home Theater Receiver

Username: Sru79

Post Number: 1
Please help, I have been up for the past three days trying to figure this thing out. I want to add my DVD-R to my current setup. What I have is a TV,Digital Cable Box, DVD-R, VCR, Home Theater Receiver. I would like to setup everything so that I can record and watch another show at the same time. Any help would be appreicated.

Bronze Member
Username: Philman

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 24
Can you supply some part numbers, mainly for the HT receiver.

Off the cuff, your gonna have a difficult time trying to come up with redundant signal paths without some switching and splitting. The cleanest method if to let the HT receiver do that, but obviously you loose the ability to have multiple paths.

Post Number: 2
HT - Panasonic SCHT95
TV - Apex 27inch
Cable - Motorola
Vcr - ?

Bronze Member

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 28
Is the TV the Flatscreen HD version? What outputs do you have from the Motorola?

Backing up a second, How do you receive multiple programming with one digital cable box? What would you be recording and watching simultaneously?

Post Number: 3
The cable from the wall i am able to get analog 1-88 channels. Going through the Cable box I receive all other channels. but the problem is i should be able to record let's say channel 5 and still watch channel 8. or even recording a vcr tape can't I still watch another program?

Apex - flat screen

Bronze Member

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 29
If you put a 5-900mhz splitter in the cable before the Cable box and send one side to the VCR and the other to the cable box that would allow recording channels 1-88. Then you could watch the cable box on another channel.

Run the Composite audio from the cable box to the Aux or TV in on the HT receiver and you have sound with what you are watching.

Use the Component video (red/grn/blue) from the HT receiver out to TV1 in. This will be the best signal for DVD viewing.

Component video or S-video cable from the cable box to TV2 in and run the audio cables from the cable box to "TV in" on the HT Receiver.

Run composite video from VCR (yellow RCA) to TV3 in and the audio cables to the HT Receiver VCR in.

With this setup you will have to select the appropriate tv input and HT audio source but it is one option to make it work like you asked.

Post Number: 4
what other way would you setup with DVD_R

Bronze Member

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 32
You can use an S-Video cable. But that leave you 1 S-Video short of the above. You could reduce the VCR to RF and tune to channel 3/4 on the TV.

From what you told me on the TV it appears it has 2 Component inputs, 1 S-video, 1 composite and 1 RF. Is this correct?

I don't know if I fully understand the last question you posed.

Post Number: 5
The TV has 3 in components and 1 out. 1 s-video and 1 RF.

I was told my the manf. cable from wall to cable box then split one to VCR out the other one to DVDR then out to tv.but it does not make sense to me or does it?

Bronze Member

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 34
Only if you want to watch and record the same thing. The cable box is acting as the tuner at that point and prevents the VCR or TV from tuning a seperate channel.

What outputs do you have from the cable box. Are there component (red/green/blue) or composite (yellow/red/white) outputs available, and how many of each?

Can you find the model number of your TV. I am curious as to why they would give you three component inputs.

Silver Member
Username: Dirtfarmer

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 289
Message Board: Home Theater: Home Theater Setup & Planning: The ultimate theatre setup guide

Use this link to go directly to the discussion:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/113395.html

Unregistered guest
I have a Dish Network system with DVR (like TIVO) a vcr/vcp and recently was given a DVDR as a gift. It took several days to figure out how to record a program from the TV/DishNetwork, but the DVDR would record without audio. I can't figure out how to get all the components to work with each other. I bought an S-video cable and I think that is what is making the video portion record, but again with no audio recording. I'm going crazy. Certainly would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Dirtfarmer

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 505
sound like you do not have the audio cable connected
s video mean super video it has not audio

connect a red or white rca a/v cable and you should have sound
Use this link to go directly to the discussion:

any was see this site

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums