I can't get my TV's sound to work with home theater system

Username: Bob_smith

Post Number: 1
I recently purchased the RCA RT2380BK home theater system for my bedroom. It works great with my Xbox, but I can't get the TV's sound to come from the home theater speakers--it plays directly from the TV.

Since I have an older TV, I had to purchase an RF modulator. I have the red, white and yellow RCA cables running from the TV outputs on my receiver to the A/V inputs on my modulator. For my xbox, I have the standard A/V pack, with the red, white and yellow RCA cables from that plugged into the DVD output on the receiver. I'm not understanding why the TV's sound wont play through the home theater system seeing how I have the red/white audio cables running from my receiver to my modulator. What am I doing wrong? Is it just not possible to hear the sound from my home theater speakers with an RF modulator? Thanks very much.

Bronze Member
Username: Philman

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 26
As I read you post I don't understand how your TV channels are being fed to the HT Receiver. I understand your current configuration but if you are using a VCR or cable box to tune the TV channels you didn't mention it.

We have to get the TV channel audio into the HT receiver somehow. The modulator will not feed the TV signal back to the Receiver as maybe your expecting?

Do you have antenna or cable/sat?

Post Number: 2
sorry about the confusion...for my cable TV, i put the cable into the ANT input on the modulator. so the cable channels come in fine, but the sound isn't getting to the receiver for some reason-it's staying at the TV.

and actually just about an hour ago I purchased the advanced AV pack for my xbox along with a digital audio optic cable, so i can now get Dolby Digital 5.1 on my xbox instead of just ProLogic II.

But it sure would be nice to know if there's any way I can get ProLogic II to work with my regular cable TV programming. Thanks again.

Bronze Member

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 31
I think I am still missing something, but let me explain what I understand so far.

You say you have the red/white and yellow cable running from the 2380 "TV output" to the modulator. This is how you see the XBox on TV. However, the "TV audio" on the 2380 Receiver is actually an input to the receiver from the TV.

Now, how do we get the CATV to the TV? Do you have an A/B switch on the CATV signal coming into the modulator or do you have a set top cable box and using the red/white and yellow outputs from this box to the Receiver? How is it connected?

Post Number: 3
I'll try my best to explain the connections (i'm not very tech-savvy so bear with me):

I have a coax cable running from the TV to the modulator. I don't have a cable box. What I do to get the cable channels on my TV is plug the cable TV cord from the wall into the ANT port on the modulator. The red/white and yellow RCA cables then run from the modulator to the TV ports on the receiver.

As far as my Xbox connection goes, I have the advanced A/V pack. Connected to that is the digital audio optic cable, which from there is plugged into the optic cable input on the receiver. I also have a yellow video cord from the AV pack to the yellow DVD video input.

If you need more clarification, just let me know. I'll do my best. Again, I appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Bronze Member

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 35
Ok, the light bulb finally came on. (I think) Since I don't like modulators, personal thing, I did not see the connection of the antenna input and the Composite (yellow/red/white) in the same box.

To paraphrase, you have the 2380 Receiver (yellow/red/white) AND the Cable TV plugged into the modulator and then an RF cable to the TV. So far so good?

Problem is the modulator outputs only on the RF cable (to the TV) so the Red/white cables are doing nothing since they are plugged into the INPUT of the 2380. Input to input.

What to do.
Option 1: If you have a spare VCR you can use that in place of the modulator. (built in) That would allow you to use the audio portion of the CATV for the 2380 and send the RF signal to channel 3 of the TV. Tunning would be accomplished by the VCR. Additionally, a yellow would deliver the monitor output of the 2380 to the Input on the VCR for Xbox video to the TV (no need for audio). This would be the easiest and most straightforward approach.

Option 2: Call your cable company for a cable box or purchase one from an online/local source. This could be a trickier solution since a little more info may be needed.

Option 3: Purchase a cable ready TV with Stereo outputs and eliminate the modulator or VCR.

I hope this helps. Let me know what option you go with or if you need clarification on one of them.

Post Number: 4
They thanks a lot that helps me a bunch. It feels good to know that this is a very fixable issue. I do have a question on Option 3. This may sound obvious, but what qualifies as a "cable ready tv with stereo outputs"? Is this just a convential TV with the red/yellow/white outputs along with other outputs such as s-video? or are you talking about a more advanced set? Just looking for some clarification as I think I'll eventually buy a better TV set and eliminate this problem.

Bronze Member

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 39
Simply, you need a TV that accepts the yellow/red/white cable (composite signal) as an INPUT. And, can tune all your available channels.

Second, you want a red/white audio OUTPUT from the TV. (Ideally, the ouput should be controlled by the TV volume so you don't have to mute and change volumes on both the TV and Receiver all the time)

S-Video INPUT is optional, but since you are not using that with the XBox input it wouldnt do you any good. Most TV's today come with it anyway, just won't be used in your setup.

Post Number: 5
okay, so to be clear, I need a TV with the three red/yellow/white inputs, as well as an input for cable TV and a red/white output? Does this sound correct?

Also, since I haven't bought a TV in a while, are these types of TV's with the extra red/white outputs in the back pretty much standard now? Or would I have to request to see one when going to the store?

Post Number: 6
I'm not looking to buy a TV immediately, but just as an example to help me out, would the TV from the link below fit the criteria you were talking about?

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Magnavox-27--TV--27MS4504-/sem/rpsm/oid/90399/rpe m/ccd/productDetail.do

Bronze Member

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 41
Audio
Audio type: Stereo Sound
Audio enhancement: None
*Variable/fixed audio output: Info unavailable
Auto volume control: Yes

Copied from the specs, the * is the line your looking for and that should say YES, Variable.

Post Number: 7
does it matter if it's fixed or variable? or will it work either way?

Bronze Member

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 42
Fixed is the most common. With this output you'll have to leave the TV volume at Min and use the Receiver volume control for best Surround mix. This also allows the use of the TV speaker when the Receiver is off.

If the set has a variable output, it is controlled by the TV's volume control. This is good if should want control volume of the system with your TV remote. However, contrary to my previous posts, this is not entirely desirable for Surround listening unless you can turn the TV speaker off. (from setup menu on TV)

Giving your setup more thought, you'd probably be better off with Fixed anyway. The variable output could cause more difficulty in your setup, just a matter of personal preference for me.

Post Number: 8
Okay thanks i'll definitely keep that in mind when I go looking for another TV (probably around May).

One more question--and this is a bit off-topic--I connected my xbox to the receiver with an s-video cable. Then I ran the other s-video cable from the s-video out part of the receiver to the s-video port of the modulator. The color has definitely improved, but I'm noticing these diagonal bars that are visible in the background when the screen is a dark color such as black. I was expecting that the picture clarity would be much better with s-video, but with this annoying issue, it's not working out that way. Is this just because I have an older TV? If so I'll just keep the s-video cable for when i get a new TV. It works fine with the RCA cables, but not with the s-video for whatever reason. I'll just switch back to the RCA cables for now, but any answers you may have would be great.

Bronze Member

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 44
Sounds like something the modulator is doing possible due to ground loop or loose/bad cable. Sometimes the power supply will add noise to the black portion of the signal as well.

Usually it is a process of elimination. Try first removing the CATV from the modulator. Next remove all cables from the modulator except for the TV coax and the S-Vid cable. Then try swapping cables (if you have extra's). Lastly, if the 110v plug on the modulator is not polarized, try turning the plug around.

It just may be something inherant to the modulator if all else fails.

Username: Kayp

Post Number: 1
I would like to connect home theater system with old Sharp TV which doesn't have outputs, only has Input 1 and Input 2 (Red, white &Yellow). The following components need to be connected to Home Theater.
1.VCR
2.DVD Player
3.TV
4.Receiver (Home theater)

I will be happy if I could hear all sound through Home theater system. When tried to connect to VCR, I could hear sounds and see picture. But DVD, I could not see picture/listen sound, TV also I could not hear Sounds through Home Theater.

I connected as below
1.Cable (RF connector)--> VCR
2.VCR RF connector to TV
3.VCR OUT to Receiver Video1 IN
Receiver Video1 out to VCR IN
4.DVD OUT to Receiver DVD IN

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Tipstir

Post Number: 42
There is a wireless remote control box sold online that excepts 4 A/V inputs S-Video/Video/Stereo Audio or you can go to Wal-Mart and buy the RCA manual switch instead. Has 4 A/V inputs also.

If the TV has:

1 - Video (yellow) input
1 - Audio (white) left input (stereo)
1 - Audio (red) right input (stereo)

Then you can do it..

RCA Switch from Wal-Mart can do it for you. I use it for S-Video only since my Receiver doesn't like to mix formats.

If you take the Cable RF to a coax splitter rated at 1GHz with 2 splits.

-----Cable----2 way splitter
TV RF in
VCR RF in (don't use RF out)

RCA Switch Box
connect the TV to the Box
connect the VCR to the box
connect the DVD to the box

You can route the audio output to the receiver instead of going back to the TV.

This one way of doing it!

Bronze Member

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 49
Your current setup is good. One question though, are you using the yellow/red/white from the DVD to the AV receiver? If not, that could be your problem with the DVD. In your setup you will not be able to use the S-vid or Component cables without a like connection on the TV.

If you want to use your current setup and hear TV sound through you AV receiver you'll have to leave the TV tuning to your VCR. Put your TV on whatever video input you wired to, your AV receiver on Video 1 and then tune your VCR to the TV channel you want to watch. (be sure to press TV/VCR button on the VCR remote)

Post Number: 9
given my situation with the older TV and no audio outputs that I talked to PhilMan about earlier, I'm considering making a quick fix until I can get a new TV. I was thinking about using a VCR, but the VCR we have is pretty old and I don't think it has what I need to channel the audio from the VCR to the receiver. I read on another thread that you can buy devices that do what VCRs do with the audio without having the VCR itself. I'm wondering what exactly this device is. I went onto radioshack.com and came up with something...please tell me if i'm on the right track...thanks!

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=15-1983

Username: Kayp

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your response. Still I am not clear on how to connect RCA switch to TV as per tip's advice. If I am not wrong, thee following is the way to connect.
1.Cable (RF) connector --> using 2-way splitter, connect one to TV and one to VCR
2.RCA switch box to TV (which wires Red, white, yellow from input?)
3. RCA switch box to VCR (which wires Red, white, yellow from IN or OUT?)
4. RCA switch box to DVD (which wires Red, white, yellow from IN or OUT?)

Then how to connect to Home theater.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us