Humming Noise (RECIEVER)

Username: Morpheus2124

Post Number: 4
I just bought a KOSS KS5190 1000w surround sound system and i will pop in a dvd and about 3 times during a two hour movie i will hear a humming noise coming from the actual Reciever (not speakers). It is very noticeable. It sounds like a vibrating cell phone sitting on a piece of wood. Really weird. What does that mean?? Is this piece defective.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2263
A humming receiver is never normal unless it doubles as a cell phone or pager. Return it.

gieopnpe
Unregistered guest
hey have you herd the koss 1000w KS5190 sound system? is it good?

gieopnpe
Unregistered guest

gieopnpe
Unregistered guest

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2477
no, no and no.
What does this have to do with this thread?

Username: Canuckinapickle

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 5
Peter,
Does this receiver have an internal fan of some sort? If it does you may have a bad fan which is causing the hum -- much like the fan on a computer's CPU if it gets old or is defective. Just a guess though, I don't know that product at all.

Bronze Member
Username: Mystro

Post Number: 12
Change your amps polarity and power source. One of your other gear might not be grounded. Put your Amp on its own power source and see if the humming changes or stops.

Dan Herron
Unregistered guest
Having the same problem here except it starts humming as soon as I turn it on and it's brand new!! I took so long to hook it up the 30 day return policy has expired and now I have to pay to ship it to Missiouri!!!

Unregistered guest
Having exactly the same problem with mine. As soon as I turn it on it makes a loud humming, like the fan is bad or the bearings in it are out. Then after about 10 minutes it stops and works fine. Have had it for 6 weeks.

Username: Nullsmurf

Denver

Post Number: 1
strange that there are so many that hum out of the box. Yes, I quickly identified it as a humming fan - there appear to be 2 on the right side. A couple of finger thumps got the fan spinning and I haven't heard it since. However, there seems to be a GREAT deal of heat buildup. Make sure yours is VERY well ventalated. It would be different if I were pushing it, but I'm not. I'm inclined to let the unit toast itself.

Username: Jamesca

Post Number: 2
Take your reciever in for a servic check up somethng is wrong !! or if it's fairly new ask for a new replacement instead .

James.ca

Username: Jamesca

Post Number: 3
Note your amp has to have some air space around it to let the heat out !!
The heat sinks have to have some where to let the heat go !!
Don't stack other gear on your amp !!
Have the shelf it's on have some openenss to it as well.
I rack mounted my surround amp , nothing on top nothing underneth either and space on the sides as well.
Amps run hot and get hotter when pushed but at the same time have to let the heat out of the unit or your going bust your baby !!
James

Unregistered guest
Can't believe what I'm reading. Mine is doing the same thing. Loud noise from fan goes away in about 20 sec. or after thump. unit only 2.5 months old. Called Koss, will only do refund. But I'm completly wired in! Help!!

Unregistered guest
Can't believe what I'm reading. Mine is doing the same thing. Loud noise from fan goes away in about 20 sec. or after thump. unit only 2.5 months old. Called Koss, will only do refund. But I'm completly wired in! Help!!

Username: Nullsmurf

Denver

Post Number: 2
Not to worry, Bob. Its designed to run hot, or better be. Besides, it was cheap! I decided that it fries, or it doesn't. So far, it has not. Also, the fan noise quit after a few dozen operating hours.

I figure that if Koss burns my house down, I get to retire.

gator bob
Unregistered guest
Spoke to Koss (India) again yesterday, They still want to refund me. They claim they don't have any to replace mine with, yet Best Buy down the road has 20 in stock. The problem is they have gone up in price $60. since December. So a refund won't cover the cost of a new one. The warranty states "repair or replace" not go buy a new one at their new price.

gator bob
Unregistered guest
Still no response from Koss on my KS5190 problem. I moved the unit to a better ventilated location. I noticed the unit has 2 fans. Only the front fan runs. Can you tell me if both of your fans run when the unit is on or is the rear fan on some type of switch?

Koss Victim
Unregistered guest
I brought the same system (Koss KS5190) and had the same problem only it got worse. There was a breif period of on and off grinding noises inside the main unit. This eventually led to a constant grinding noise. I sent the unit back, but I had to pay shipping and they shorted me $10 when I got the refund check. I wish I had two more hands so I could give Koss a four thumbs down....

AndyChicago
Unregistered guest
I have experienced the same exact thing - and I'm glad I read this thread, because I was going to just go out and buy a new one, figuring it was just my unit and not a larger problem. I'm sending mine back in for a refund...UGH.

Yipperz
Unregistered guest
I am in the same situation, and it's the back fan on the right side that doesn't work for me either. I'm guessing the system has a faulty fan put in there. I'm just gonna buy a replacement fan. They can't be very expensive.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us