HELP! What cables do I need?

Username: Ram2nv

Post Number: 1
Can someone please help me and tell me what cables I need to get everything hooked up correctly? I'm at a total loss on what to purchase. I'd like to hook everything up to work the easiest way with the best results. This is a beginner system for me, so I'm sure I can use the cables down the road when I piece a system together.

I have the following;

Magnavox 55" Projection TV, Model # 9P5534C1

Sony HT-6800DP 6.1-channel component home theater system can be seen here http://www.crutchfield.com/S-54Ded8Wm1l3/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=135050&I=158HT68 00D

Motorolla DCT2244 Cable Box

Symphonic VR-60WF VCR with basic RCA audio/video inputs/outputs (it's not essential that this gets hooked up, but it would be nice)

I tried to upload pics, but I guess they're over 100KB. Here is a link to the pictures

http://members.cox.net/mmorin/audio

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2247
Read your manual. It will have a diagram of how to hook up your system and from there you can count the number of cables you'll need.

Username: Ram2nv

Post Number: 2
Seem like it should be that easy doesn't it? Wrong. The manual sucks. Basically it tells you how to hook the DVD player to the receiver so you can listen to CD's. It doesn't even tell you how to get it to the TV.

Anyway, I can figure it out, I was just looking for the best possible options.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2259
LOL, really can't fault you for having a sucky manual, can we?? Sorry for your dilemma.

You are going to need 1 component video cable from your Sony going in to the component video inputs of your Magnavox. Do not set your DVD player into progressive scan mode unless your TV is capable of this feature.
If you want to hear the DVD from your TV speakers, you need a pair of stereo RCA plugs (usually the red/white color coded variety). And plug that into the inputs in the back of your TV. Not necessary if you are going to listen to the DVD via the Sony.
Your VCR can be hooked up the old fashioned way, but you really wouldn't want to watch it after getting spoiled by the DVD.
But the most important thing right now is the component video cable so you can start right away.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us