Onkyo 570

Username: Bvc

Post Number: 1
Hi,
I just got a Onkyo 570 and haven't set it up yet. I noticed there is a little square plug in the back that says "5.1 in". I also have one that says "5.1 out" on my dishnet 501pvr.

What type of cable goes here? None in the box. Can someone give me a part number at radioshack please (6ft)? I left some money at digikey, wonder if they sell them?
Thanks

Anonymous

What you need is an optical, or toslink cable, readily available at Radio Shack. Sorry, I do not have a part number, but it will be easy to find.

Bronze Member
Username: Bryanh

Fresno, CA

Post Number: 11
Are all toslink cables created more or less equal? I have seen prices vary wildly on these things...

Post Number: 2
Thanks Guys. Found toslink at ratshack on the net. Nothing at digikey. My last stereo set up was 1980. I'm a little behind the times. lol Hope this Onkyo is as good as it sounded in the store.

Username: Philman

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 3
For others looking for the same:
Parts Express (www.partsexpress.com) sells Toslink cables #180-942 for a 6' @ $3.25. Bought the same thing at wally world for $15, of course took it back. Most differences in price include heavier connectors, swivel mounts, and light-through jacketing... who cares! Light pulses are light pulses and unless your doing w/e gigs at a club, once its connected, your done.

Second issue. Dish Network only broadcast Dolby digital on 'some' premium channels (list below)and PPV with the DD notation. And even in DD that may only be 2ch Dolby not 5.1! I hooked mine up expecting the best of the best only to be disappointed by the result. Additionally, my Onkyo 570 in any of the surround modes on other Dish channels, gets a "chatter" in the surround speakers that sounds like a superimposed chipmunk over the voice track. Almost as if the surround processor is having trouble decoding the prologic portion of the stereo signal. This is eliminated by using one of the DSP modes. :o(

Anyway after several calls to Dishnetwork and Onkyo support, I still don't enjoy the same quality that you get from the DVD collection.

DD channels on DISH
300, 303, 318, 319, 350, 351, 9428, 9430, 9440 and PPV w/"DD"

Post Number: 3
Philman, did you ever nail it down to either a dishnet or onkyo problem? Sounds like a dishnet.

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 6
I agree, I have replaced the receiver with a new one and still the same. Matters not with toslink or composite for sound field.

I have been a dish customer for 8 yrs and still holding on to an original 4900 recvr. Suppose I ought to upgrade.

Post Number: 4
Well I'm finally up and running. Onkyo 570 is very good. The dishnet 501 pvr is connected with a $26 radioshack toslink cable (the cheap ones are all gone). No chipmonk sounds. Tried some ppv DD channels. Boy I've been missing alot. Nice to be out of the 70's. lol

I got the 570 behind a glass door in my entertainment center. It is a little warm in there. Do I need a fan?

PS. Your 4900 with uhf remote is a very good unit.

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 8
Try the Weather channel 214 and listen to your surround speakers when they talk. (Surround mode is DD or DDex)

daven9999
Unregistered guest
hey guys,

I have a similar problem...the chipmunk sounds or audio chatter in the rear channels. I have the dish 522 dvr, and a pioneer 1014 receiver. How do you fix this problem?????

Bronze Member

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 16
See the post Home Theater > Home Theater Setup & Planning > Weird sound from rear speakers in sur...

Another guy with the Pioneer 1014, but I have an Onkyo 570.

Im beginning to wonder about the matrix decoding for 6.1 (and 7.1) if it is not introducing the artifacts from the stereo source as it trys to discern the spatial relationships of the sounds. I need to do some experiments and some studying this w/e to find out. Dish and Onkyo have been little help. Maybe the dudes at Dolby labs can lend a hand.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us