Digital Inputs

WillyB
Unregistered guest
My wife bought me a home theater in a box - Sony DAV BC150. I noticed the back panel does not have that "optical input" or any other input other than a standard RCA Audio input. The only thing I'd want to hook into the receiver is my Echostar 522 DVR receiver. Will the Satellite be in 5.1 surround sound - if broadcasted?

WillyB
Unregistered guest
I think I've answered my question on that. I did see a converter - digital to rca jacks at Radio shack. The Sat receiver already has the digital out, it's the audio receiver that doesn't. Would it do me any good to use the converter? It's not going to transform the data into a digital format is it?

Username: Tuggerd

Post Number: 1
Does anyone know the answer to this? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 60
The simplest and economical way is to connect the analog audio RCA output from the Echostar 522 DVR to the audio RCA input on the Sony DAV BC150 then enable Dolby Prologic II for 5.1 surround sound. You do not need to buy the Radio Shack converter. It's not gonna be as good as Dolby Digital/DTS 5.1 but Dolby Pro II does an excellent job for stereo sources (including FM stereo, cassette tapes, vinyls, CDs...)

Christina
Unregistered guest
I received the a Sony DAV-BC150 for Christmas and I was wondering, since there is no optical input, if there is any way to listen to TV shows in Dolby Digital or DTS, not just Prologic II. Will that Radio Shack converter work?

Bronze Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 65
I checked the manual for the DAV-BC150 from Sony Style website when I posted the post above and I did not see any digital in on this thing. I have not seen the RadioShack converter mentioned above before but I'm pretty sure it only converts the digital signal to analog signal for those receivers that do not have digital inputs like the DAV-BC150. Anyway, you can only get DD/DTS 5.1 from digital signal and digital signal is only transmitted via coaxial or optical connection, they can't go thru the RCA analog audio input. The Sony in question doesn't have a digital input and it doesn't have direct 5.1 input either. The best thing you can get from external sources for surround is Dolby Prologic II.

Username: Rocknpunkdad

Post Number: 1
Radio Shack convertor 15-1242 has a PCM output jack, just what kind of cable would I need? And how would/could I hook it up to my windows xp computer? Do I need a video card?? Thanks!

Wayne
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us